Salomon Siam 7 Pilot CF

These are warm, easy-to-use cross country ski boots…

Source: bought it used

These are warm, easy-to-use cross country ski boots for women. Simple design and comfortable to wear all day. I love the Quicklaces for getting on the trail quickly.

• Warm enough
  • Speed laces
  • Easy

• Show dirt easily
  • Zipper can be difficult

I bought these very lightly used and wore them all season (2 - 4 days every week we had enough snow). They've held up great so far.

Oh Thinsulate, you get me. The salesman told me that Salomon recognized that women's feet get cold quicker than men's, so they made these extra warm. I can't say that while I had them on, I thought "Wow! These are really warm." In fact I never thought about the temperature of my feet at all.

That is a huge win for women with cold feet! Even in my beloved snow boots, my feet always eventually get uncomfortably cold. In these, my feet were happy and comfortable and I was completely able to concentrate on other things like improving my technique.

Even though they're warm, they feel pretty light on your feet, though I do wear pretty heavy snow boots most days. Salomon says they're 1880 grams.

Speed Laces:
The salesman called them speed laces, Salomon calls them "Quicklaces". If you've ever laced up a boot in your life, you'll know what I like about these by looking at this 30 second video I made of myself lacing them up.

I did sometimes find it a little difficult to get the zipper up all the way while wearing thick socks, though twice I just didn't take it up the whole way and the velcro closure helped keep the boot secure the whole time I was skiing anyway.

The tops are ate a great height for freedom of movement, while maintaining some ankle support. In like I need arch supports in shoes/boots, but I never had to put anything extra inside these boots, which is good, because I have found repeatedly that custom orthopedic insoles can negate many great features designed by the manufacturer (though I will admit that may have more to do with the amount of time you spend on your toes cross-country skiing).

SNS Bindings:

And of course, it was super easy to clip in and out of the skis.

Personal Fit and Preferences:

I bought a size 7.5. I usually wear 7 - 7.5 in shoes and boots, average to narrow width. I usually wear silk liner socks and boot socks (mostly wool) with all boots including these. I started to get a blister once, changed out my wool socks and didn't have the problem again.

Here are the skis I use with them.

Great review and pictures, Siltloam!