Scarpa Bhutan GTX

men's half sizes men's women's
Sizes Women's: 36-43 - -
Weight - 1.7 pounds per boot 1.3 pounds per boot

I bought a pair after using Keen and Vasquez for years,…

Price Paid: $175 +

Summary

I bought a pair after using Keen and Vasquez for years, I have hiked, backpacked and hunted for 50 years. I THOUGHT I had broken them in after short hikes, wear to work and yard work for three months.

Went to Glacier, both my big toenails were toast after the first 10-mile day. Lucky I had my New Balance running shoes or my trip would have been finished. I took them back to Serra Trading Post with no problems. Went back to my old standby Keen and Vasquez.

Pros

• None

Cons

• They killed my feet after breaking them in for three months.

See Summary, as far as I'm concerned they sucked and were not worth the money!

After multiple "tries" finding some hiking/backpacking…

After multiple "tries" finding some hiking/backpacking boots that actually fit I purchased the Scarpa Bhutan GTX boots. I have a narrow foot and my heels are really the issue. The last pair of boots that I had that actually fit before the Bhutan boots were the original Italian made Vasque Sundowner boots back in 1996. That's a long time worrying about taping ankles, worrying about socks, researching different lacing options and using Moleskin on my heels.

I was growing sick and tired of outfitters telling me that every boot has these issues coupled with my type of foot. I was not backing down easy and learned of Scarpa and their focus on narrower, lower-volume feet. I wanted a full grain leather boot and liked the shiny leather classic look, but could not afford some of the boots like that. I also tried on the Asolo TPS 520 GV which seemed to fit well but it was like wearing lead on my feet.

I finally had to opportunity to try the Bhutan and it reminded me of the fit of my old Sundowner boots but with better soles and construction. I purchased them without a lot of expectations. I had previously had the Garmont Synchro GTX and it fit good when purchased, but it quickly became the worst blister-causing boot I had ever owned. Wearing them in the store and after miles of use is another thing.

So far I have put around 15 miles on the Bhutans and they feel great. They are light and durable at the same time. Some reviewers said they made their feet hot, but I think they are very breathable. I would recommend them to others with a low-volume foot. The Vibram soles they have on them are extremely grippy. Last weekend I hiked down a slope covered with frost covered leaves and I never lost traction.

These boots are the best made out there. Very strong,…

Materials: nubuck leather
Use: long day hikes, backpacking
Break-in Period: not long, do some neighborhood walking
Weight: 3 lbs. 2 oz.

These boots are the best made out there. Very strong, durable and waterproof GTX (gore-tex). I highly recommend these to any heavy hikers and backpackers!

Manufacturer's Description refers to the men's version

Filling a niche in between two already popular boots in the SCARPA collection, the new Bhutan GTX offers full-leather construction in a contemporary design that molds quickly to the feet and offers a lightweight, shock-absorbing ride. In between the popular Kailash GTX and the Barun GTX in terms of weight and support, the Bhutan employs full Nubuck leather construction.

In a touch that speaks to SCARPA’s attention to detail, different weights of leather are employed in different areas of the upper construction where optimal for fit and durability. Gore Tex adds weather protection.

Like its brethren the Kailash and Nangpa-La, the Bhutan uses a very lightweight sole/midsole package, including SCARPA’s unique Hi-Trail Lite sole, built by Vibram, which offers exceptional cushion given its light weight. Bi-directional ankle flex construction creates forward and side flex where it’s needed without a sacrificing overall support.

Visit Scarpa's Men's Bhutan GTX page.

The SCARPA Men's Bhutan GTX Wide Hiking Boots are based on the best-selling Kailash but with all-leather construction for maximum on- and off-trail abuse.

- Altrec Outlet refers to the men's version

Scarpa managed to capture the subjective feeling of how a boot 'should' feel. Blending construction, performance and style, the Bhutan GTX is lightweight, secure, and supportive. Nubuck leather upper lends comfort and durability GORE-TEX(R) Performance Comfort liner keeps your feet dry through stream crossings and spring showers Incredibly tough and stable, yet light in weight. A deep lugged Vibram(R) Hi-Trail Lite sole gives you sure-footing and shock absorption on the most challenging terrain Extra toe rand provides a little extra protection Bi-directional ankle flex provides lateral support and an easy forward flex Comfort-Flex Insole BX last (Medium) and BXX (Wide) last Available in wide widths Sad to say, but Scarpa has discontinued the Bhutan

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

Scarpa's Bhutan GTX gives you the support & protection of a big boot combined with a versatile sole package that allows you to be nimble on rocks, dirt, mud & snow. Durable nubuck leather uppers defend against trail debris while a GORE-TEX lining and gusseted tongue amp up the waterproofness. Vibram sole gives dynamic grip.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

The Scarpa Bhutan GTX is based on the best-selling Kailash GTX which won Backpacker's Editors Choice award in 2008. The Bhutan has the same last so it fits just like the Kailash. It also picks up where the Kailash left off by winning its own Editors Choice award in 2010! Designed with an all leather construction for those hikers looking for added durability.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

Scarpa Bhutan GTX

$219.00 (men's)

The Scarpa Bhutan GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 26, 2014 at OMCgear.