Scarpa Kailash GTX

I recently purchased a pair of Scarpa Kailash GTX…

Materials: Gore-tex, leather
Use: rough trail, roots, wet ground, hills
Break-in Period: none required
Weight: 2.1 LB

I recently purchased a pair of Scarpa Kailash GTX boots, and went on my first backpack trip with them September 20, 2008. It was a one night 10 mile trip, so not a long one. However, for not having a chance to break them in the comfort was amazing! They also supported my feet well, which considering my weak ankles is important.

I also have problems with plantar faciaitis, and my orthotics combined with the Vibram sole of this boot produced comfort and pain free walking which I did not get with my previous boot. I have not had these boots long, but I now can look forward to long trips and happy feet at the end of the day!

Great medium-duty hiking/backpacking boot; poor durability.

Summary

Great medium-duty hiking/backpacking boot; poor durability.

Pros

• Light
  • Extremely comfortable
  • Supportive
  • Medium flex
  • Waterproof
  • Abrasion resistant

Cons

• Sole tread wears out relatively rapidly
  • Midsole wears out relatively rapidly

I have worn these boots as a light to medium-duty hiking boot. I have used these exclusively for this purpose.

Right out of the box I was very impressed (as per usual with Scarpa) with the incredible comfort, support, and performance.

However, unlike other Scarpa boot I have owned; I have not found them to be durable.

My experience is that the tread on the sole wore out relatively quickly (one season).

I have also found that the mid-sole has deteriorated rapidly and now offers little to no support.

Although impressed with the performance of this boot, I would have expected a longer performance life.

I can relate. I had a pair of Merrells that I raved about to others. When I bought a second pair of the same shoe, they lasted only half as long. Thanks for the review.

The Scarpa Kailash GTX is comfortable, has a versatle…

Summary

The Scarpa Kailash GTX is comfortable, has a versatle weight, is breathable and is great for people with narrow heals and feet.

Pros

• Comfort, durability, breathable
  • Good for narrow feet
  • Good gripping sole for both loose rock as well as mud

Cons

• No full leather version—I liked that aspect of the old Sundowner

Let me start with the fact that I went through many boots to finally land on this one. I had some of the old Italian made Vasque Sundowner GTX boots for over 8 years and I thought nothing could ever come close. I was wrong.

I have narrow heels as well as feet in general so I was told by numerous people to give Scarpa or LaSportiva a try. I tried both and decided on the Kailash GTX given the lighter weight and good construction. I saw it as a versitle boot that could either be used for day hikes or on longer backpacking adventures.

I love this boot. It is extremely durable, shows little wear after many miles, is very breathable as well. I also no longer get blisters even when it's humid outside. I am a Scarpa person now

Excellent, supportive boot. Waterproof. Flexible.

Summary

Excellent, supportive boot. Waterproof. Flexible. Medium weight. Comfortable straight out of the box.

Pros

• Weight
  • Flexible
  • Gore-tex liner
  • Tough sole unit

Cons

• Footbed inserts do not match the quality of the rest of the boot.

The best hiking boot I've ever used. A relatively narrow boot, not everyone has broad feet! It's certainly not the lightest boot out there, but it's certainly not in the heavy-range either.

At last, I've found a Gore-tex-lined boot that actually keeps the water out. I've been through three different types of Salomon Gore-tex-lined boots, all supposedly waterproof, yet they all leaked through the seams almost from being brand new.

The Kailash's I've walked repeatedly through streams that were just below the top of the boot, and my feet have remained dry the entire trip — very important in the winter months.

I take 1 star off for the lightweight footbed inserts. I replaced them with proper shock-absorbing inserts, to make the boots near-perfect.

Highly recommended!