Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme Thermolite Liner

Weight 14 oz / 399 g
Dimensions 84 in x 36 in / 210 cm x 90 cm

Provides a 7-9° F increase inside the bag. For the…

Summary

Provides a 7-9° F increase inside the bag. For the size and weight, I would recommend it as a comfort item, if you can fit it into your budget.

Pros

• Misunderstood and misused piece of gear
  • Packs small
  • Adds versatility to a bag you already have

Cons

• Misunderstood and misused piece of gear
  • Expensive

I was very skeptical about the +25 degrees claim of the Thermolite Reactor Extreme so, I set up this little experiment to see just how well the liner worked. Because sleeping comfort is such a personal thing, I will try and provide as much information here as possible so that you can make your own informed decision.

I used a sleeping bag rated at the current outside temperature, a low R-value sleeping mat to insure I wasn't gaining a lot of warmth from the mat, and a hammock to insure I wasn't gaining heat from an enclosed space. I also wore a medium weight base layer to provide a good surface to measure temperature that was not skin. The hammock was open and the sleeping bag top was fully exposed.

Weather Report:

Temp: 30° F Precipitation: 60% Wind: 0-5 mph Conditions: Cloudy with light sleet

Equipment:

Test conditions: All temperatures taken from three locations (center of chest, center of body and center of left thigh) using an infrared thermometer and then averaged. When I added the liner, I got out of the sleeping bag and allowed 10 minutes for it and the pad to cool.

Ground Temperature at start of test 28° F

• Outside of sleeping bag w/ liner 44° F
  • Inside of sleeping bag w/ liner 74° F
  • Sleeping bag liner 80° F
  • Base layer w/ liner 86° F

As you can see from the numbers, the sleeping bag and pad was working at their designed levels and keeping me comfortable with a base layer temperature of 75-77° F with an outside temp of 28-30° F. When I added the liner, I went from being comfortable to being very warm as my base layer temperature went up to 82-86° F with the outside temp still at 28-30° F.

Now, about the +25° F claim. I have no way of knowing what a 7-9° F increase inside the bag equates to in temperature range outside the bag but, I can say this. For the size and weight, I would recommend it as a comfort item, if you can fit it into your budget.

While this test/review isn’t comprehensive, I did apply somewhat of a scientific approach and tried to give you something better that “this is great” or “this sucks”.

Stay Warm,

JR

DrPhun

That is a great test! Your body does do some adjustment to temperature, so the 7-9 degrees should equate to a larger amount of outside temp.

Thanks for sharing your results, JR.

Joseph Renow

Nice review Jason...I am curious about how this liner fairs as a stand alone item in warmer temps..I really love my 200wt fleece liner...but I would love to save some space.

Jason Rea

Joseph, that is a question that many people have. It stands to reason that what ever technology/magic that makes this thing work inside a bag would also work outside of one. Sadly, I'm finding that this is not the case. I tried treating as an ultra light sleeping bag for summer hammock camping and found that it has almost NO insulation properties when used as a stand alone item. This item has to be used in conjunction with a sleeping bag to really have any effect at all. On a side note, it works wonderfully with the REI Travel Sack Sleeping Bag. The Travel Sack is a VERY small/lightweight and pairs well with the Reactor liner for a little more versatility beyond the Travel Sac's 55 degree rating. However, saying that the Travel Sack/Reactor combo produces a 30 degree bag is a bit of a stretch.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks for the helpful review, Jason! Jason and Joseph, I have a story that you can both appreciate. My husband and I both thought that we could use our Sea to Summit Reactor liners as summer bags one early summer night in NC on Max Patch Bald. It was somewhere between 45-50 degrees and 20+ MPH winds and we packed very light clothing and just the liners. Long story short, we got so cold that we had to double up our liners and sleep together in one doubled up liner. That actually made a tremendous difference, but it was pretty miserable as you can probably imagine!

Don't count on this liner for an additional 25 degrees…

Price Paid: Somewhere around $70

Summary

Don't count on this liner for an additional 25 degrees of warmth, or even 15 degrees.

Pros

• Lightweight and small
  • Super-soft fabric

Cons

• Does not deliver the warmth it claims
  • Was getting wrapped up and tangled in it

Very disappointed in this liner. I had my 30-degree bag and knew I'd be on the borderline temp wise. I'm a cold sleeper, and was excited to try this out. There is no way this 'increases warmth by up to 25 degrees."

Thankfully at the last minute tossed my fleece bag liner in the car. At 3 a.m. I finally gave up on the Reactor and switched to the fleece — and slept toasty warm for the rest of the night. I was surprised since I've read good reviews about other Thermolite Reactor liners.

I'd suggest testing it out—and having a backup liner—before you take this out into more extreme conditions. You could end up having a very cold night or possibly suffering from hypothermia.

Thanks for sharing your review, Auburn, and letting us know how the liner fared.