Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo

A very light and versatile tarp tent that is roomy…

Summary

A very light and versatile tarp tent that is roomy for two, and keeps out bad weather and bugs.

Pros

• VERY light and compact
  • very weatherproof
  • keeps out bugs
  • no condensation

Cons

• none noticed yet

This tarptent is a winner. It has two doors, two vestibules, and lots of storage. It has a roomy floor and easily allows to people to sleep. It keeps out the rain and bugs perfectly.

It is EXTREMELY light at 3lbs. This is with 6 stakes and the 2 optional poles for pitching. If you want, you can pitch with your hiking poles, and you don't need tent poles. This saves a few ounces more!

To set up is not difficult at all. Very straightforward, and I can do it by myself in the dark in several minutes.

I've been in this shelter in some very heavy rain. I stayed dry. My down sleeping bag stayed dry as well. So did my tent-mate and his bag. What's even better, is that tarptents don't get condensation problems like most other tents to.  So there's no dripping on you while you sleep.

If you like lightweight, but don't want to compromise on weather-proof-ness, then I strongly suggest this shelter.

It is light, easy to pitch, and very roomy- length,…

Price Paid: list

Summary

It is light, easy to pitch, and very roomy- length, width and height.

Pros

• Light
  • Easy
  • Roomy

Cons

• Single wall condensation

I bought this tent because I was backpacking with kids and needed more room, but couldn't take any more weight. I'm 6'4" and when I first got it, was backpacking with an 8-year-old, a 12-year-old, and a 14-year-old. I slept in my tent, and they got this one. They set it up and slept on very rainy nights.

Last year I went with the (now) 14-year-old and 16-year-old (now 6') to the Gaspesie. We hiked for two weeks from in the Matane to Gros Morne on the SIA. It rained most of the days. I was in my hammock, except for a few nights when there was no good spot to hang it. The three of us slept in the Duo, dry but crowded side to side.

Length and height are also great! The tent was set up in a variety of places and ways, but always worked. It does condense inside, but also dries out quickly. NO buyers remorse!

The highly popular Lunar Duo has undergone a makeover. We've combined the origional four silicone nylon models into a single Explorer model.

The silicone nylon used in both the floor and canopy of is more wateproof than we used in the past. So we opted to have a single floor and color.

We've also switched to a larger zipper for the new models. With two people sharing the tent, zippers get much more workout. This does require replacing zipper pulls more frequently. The newer more robust #5 zippers will eliminate this problem.

We're also introducting a newer lower cost Lunar Duo model, the Outfitter. Like the Skyscape Scoutit's constructed from durable 190T Polyester.

For people looking for a high quality durable tent, the Outfitter fits the bill. It's low price of $160 makes it highly affordable. At a weight of 3.5 pounds it is still lighter than any tent of its size.

The Lunar Duo Outfitter is perfect for the cyclist or boater where weight isn't as critical but small pack size is.

Visit Six Moon Designs's Lunar Duo page.

Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo

The Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo is not available from the stores we monitor.