Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis

Weight 13 oz

At 14 ounces after being seam sealed it's like carrying…

Source: bought it used

Summary

At 14 ounces after being seam sealed it's like carrying nothing, in comparison to those ultralight 3 pound tents. Yet this tarp functions with the best of them. It doesn't come with a floor but because I always use a ground cloth under the floor of my tent the floor here is not missed.

Pros

• Super light
  • Full weather protection
  • Full bug protection

Cons

• Not seam sealed
  • Condensation can be an issue
  • No full open ventilation and still be protected from bugs

Just returned from my first trip with this tarp/tent and was very impressed. The bottom of the silnylon has mesh attached all the way around it which cantalevers inward you then lay your ground cloth on it forming the seal between you and the outside. This also provides ventilation, but on hot nights I think it would be great to be able to fully open the front doors to get more air in while still being protected from the bugs.

But the whole weight savings and full protection from the elements far outweigh any negatives that you could find with this tarp/tent. Six Moons really got it right with this.

I just spent a week hiking in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana with this tarp/tent modified so it has a full mosquito netting in front so both doors could be left open. It added 3 ounces to the overall weight but I am so much happier being able to see out and have the bug protection. Hope Six Moons would offer this as an option.

This is one Great Tent. I like the fact that I lay out my ground cloth put down my sleeping pad, blow up my Neo Air mattress, pull out my sleeping bag,  then arrange my pack at the head end of the tent, then stake out the tent over everything and insert my trekking pole and I am done. This way there is no crawling in and out of your tent to get set up.

In the morning I simply pull the tent stakes and remove the tent then I am free to pack with no crawling inside. Of course if it's raining you just need to set stuff down and erect the tent over everything. Works so much better than climbing in and out of a full tent.

The Wild Oasis is a lean, mean, no frills, down and dirty shelter for ultralight hikers on the move. It packs so small and light it might literally get lost in your pack.

The Wild Oasis is large enough for a comfortable nights rest without the claustrophobia of a small tarp. With it's full 360 degree protection there's no need to carry an additional bivy.

The Wild Oasis's No-See-Um skirt perimeter eliminates the need to carry a bug net to keep away those pesky mosquitoes. The skirt's generous 18 inch width allows you significant flexibility in setting up the shelter at different heights. The skirt is tapered cut to minimize it's tendency to roll beyond the edge of the canopy and become a rain wick.

The Wild Oasis's zippered entry makes getting in and out of the shelter a breeze.

The Wild Oasis sets up using a single hiking pole or optional Carbon Fiber pole. If you want to eliminate the interior pole you can hang it from a tree limb.

Like a tarp, the Wild Oasis can be setup at different heights. Low when the weather threatens or high on nice nights to get maximum ventilation.

Visit Six Moon Designs's Wild Oasis page.

Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis

The Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new tarp/shelter, check out the best reviewed current models.