Source Widepac

Capacities 50 oz, 70 oz, 100 oz / 1.5 L, 2 L, 3L

Source reservoirs are easy to fill at home or in the…

Price Paid: ?

Summary

Source reservoirs are easy to fill at home or in the field, easy to add ice out of ice machines, easy to clean, they do not leak, and without a doubt the best on the market. Keep a 70 oz, a 100 oz, and a Divide partway full in the freezer, always clean and ready to go.

Pros

• Ease of filling at home and in the field
  • Ease of cleaning
  • No bacteria growth

Cons

• None

This water bladder has been working great in my backpack…

Price Paid: $25 from amazon

Summary

This water bladder has been working great in my backpack on long trips. The hose is a good length and the bite valve cover protects it from dust and dirt. It is a great replacement for other bladders and can be found cheaper. Very durable and easy to fill!

• Easy to use
  • Bite valve cover =clean
  • No leaking

Cons

• Hard to twist nozzle to unlock bite valve

This is a strong and dependable water bladder for my use of backpacking. It holds 2 liters, which is plenty to get me from point A to point B, where I will refill. It was also convenient in size for water treatment. I treated directly in the bladder. It is easy to fill.

The only con is that the nozzle can be hard to twist to open, although this is a pro when it comes to leaking, which I have never had a problem with. If you leave the valve unlocked it will of course squirt water out. The plastic material is thick and strong, it seems to withhold many obstacles.

I have had this for about a year and take it on all my backpacking excursions. It is still like new. The bite valve has not started to wear like some competitors' nozzles. I definitely recommend this bladder to my friends!

Welcome to Trailspace, nataliehd! Thanks for sharing your Widepac review. Got any pictures of your reservoir you could share in your review?

Revolutionary design for a water bladder and it's…

Price Paid: $30 USD on sale

Summary

Revolutionary design for a water bladder and it's just as tough as they say it is. Love the slide closure! Great for backpacking (3L) or hiking (1.5 or 2L). Keeps water fresh for days.

Pros

• really does keep water fresh for a long time
  • super tough
  • low profile in a pack
  • easy to clean and fill thanks to the slide closure

Cons

• wider than most day pack sleeves will accomodate
  • donut shape can make drying it out a challenge

Okay, I don't know where I read the first review for this bladder, but when I watched a car drive over a full one without it bursting, I thought "what the hell do I have to lose?" I'd never heard of SourceOutdoor and although I was tempted to go with a Platypus for about the same price, I decided to try the Widepac more for kicks than anything else.

I'm surprised and impressed! The Widepac lives up to the hype — it's incredibly tough, clean, easy to fill, and definitely increases space in your pack.

A couple of things to be aware of...  First, although the profile is slimmer, the bladder is wider than most traditionally shaped bladders so you might have trouble fitting in the pocket of your pack, if it has one.  Second, even with the slide closure, drying it can be difficult due to the donut shape.  I've found that an empty paper towel tube on each side does the trick.

Cleaning is easy if it ever needs to be cleaned (the manufacturer claims it doesn't). To test that claim, I left water in mine for 6 weeks. Guess what — there was not the slightest hint of swamp and absolutely no sliminess on the inside.

As for its toughness, it can tumble down a 20 foot escarpment and get scraped all to hell but survive without a puncture or breaks in the slide or quick connect valve.

Most other hikers will never see this bladder so the coolness factor doesn't count for much.  That's okay since it's really more about quality than anything else, and this bladder is definitely a quality product!

Oh by the way, I've only found it online and it's made in and shipped from Israel so there is a shipping cost.  It appears there is very little distribution of this product in the US and I couldn't find a single retailer.

Source-Outdoor-water-bladder.jpg