Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set 24oz

7 comments

Summary

With all the hype about expensive high end gear, this set is a refreshing relief for the budget minded. The pot is extremely tough and I have used the same one since they came out. I replaced the standard cups with a stainless cup and now my entire cook set fits inside the pot.

Pros

• Lightweight and durable
  • Marked measurements for backpacking meals
  • Handle folds across lid and snaps in place to keep everything inside

Cons

• Plastic tab on lid will melt
  • Cups that come with the set are useless
  • A little bit bulky

57ac2.jpg
For the $15 that it cost me, I couldn't be happier with this pot. A lot of people seem to think that the cost is directly relevant to the quality. In some cases I agree, but not with this set.

Straight out of the box, it is fairly impressive. Stainless steel construction with a very strong handle that when squeezed can fold across the lid and snap into place. I don't have to worry about my stuff falling out of it when it turns over. I replaced the factory plastic cups with a single stainless cup that fits perfectly into the pot. The saved space allows me to store my hiking stove, utensils and seasoning bottles all inside the pot.

Truthfully, the only thing I can really say I didn't like was the plastic tab on the lid. It melted off the first time I cooked with this pot on an open fire. This was actually a blessing in disguise because to replace the tab, I used a large key ring. Now, with the handle locked in place across the lid, I can hang the pot from the key ring over the fire under a tripod.

The cups that came with the set are decent quality, but they are fairly small. I removed them and put a stainless steel cup in the set that fits perfectly into the pot and essentially takes up almost no space.

I like the measurements being stamped into the side of the pot because it takes any guess work out of preparing dehydrated backpacker meals. I will usually cook everything right in the pot (instead of pouring water into the bags) and eat straight from the pot. This eliminates the need for carrying a bowl to eat out of. I have used the same pot for several years now with no complaints. It cleans up easy and stores away in my backpack. I do wish Stanley would make a smaller one. The 24-oz size is usually more than I need for most situations.

Overall, I would recommend this product to anyone that doesn't want to spend a fortune on a cook pot. I've used the high end titanium pots and the only difference I could see was the weight and the cost.

I completely agree. You do give up some things with lower cost items (weight comes to mind), but I have a $15 Sears jacket that keeps me as warm as a $200 NorthFace jacket.

1 month ago

Welcome to Trailspace, Brian! Thanks for the helpful review of your cook set.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

I have the same pot and cups and love them. I was surprised at how much of a beating it can take. I was also surprised that I opt for this cook system as much as my jet boil. Thanks.

Larry J. Tedder

I have had my green Stanley thermos bottle since the late seventies. Kinda ugly now, but still works great!

1 month ago

Larry, we'd love to see a review of your Stanley bottle!

Larry J. Tedder

That's not a half bad idea, Alicia! Let me see what I can do after Christmas.

1 month ago

Thanks, Larry! It's especially nice to see reviews of gear that has been in use for many years.

1 month ago
Have you owned or used a Stanley Adventure Camp Cook Set 24oz? Share your experience »