Terramar Helix Crew Tee

I was looking for a wicking, synthetic, lightweight,…

Summary

I was looking for a wicking, synthetic, lightweight, warm-/hot-weather t-shirt that I could wear on the trail as well as on the town. Found it, to a tee. Sorry...

Pros

• Wicks effectively
  • Soft & Comfortable
  • Good fit
  • Nice colors
  • Excellent value
  • Well-constructed
  • Gossamer thin, yet UPF 25

Cons

• Snags a bit

I already had a few synthetic tees, but they were the athletic/basketball kind. Loose, kind of thick. They served their purpose.

But as the mercury rises in the city, I wanted something I could wear around the 'hood and not look like I was going to the gym. I'm a huge fan of Sierra Trading Post, so I started perusing their site and found the Terramar Men's Helix Crew Tee.

Good-looking shirt. Buncha great colors. And unlike a lot of great deals on STP, they had plenty of colors in my size (sm.) I also noticed that it had received an average rating of 4.5 stars after 852 reviews. That was enough for me. Ooh, did I mention? $8.25.

I ordered four of them in different colors. After an initial inspection of all of them, I found them to be of uniform construction and material. The material, EC2® Qwik-Dri®, has a kind of 'rip-stop' pattern to it, and the inside actually feels like a microfleece. It's so thin, though. Almost freakishly, especially for how soft it feels. The seam that holds the front and back together is offset to avoid chafing on the shoulders, especially with a pack. The colors are quite vivid. One will likely be a running/hiking shirt, as it's quite fluorescent green. Like, crossing guard vest green. The other three; a deep red, a moss green, and a cornflower blue; are striking but not garish.

I tried one on. I'm thin, (5'8", 140 lbs,) and the shirt fit close, but not hugging. The sleeves are a tad bit longer than I'm used to in such a fit, coming to just above my elbow. It's plenty long enough to tuck in, get your activity on, and be assure it remains tucked.

When the chance came, and quickly it did, I went on a field test: Upper 80's, slight breeze, partly cloudy, high humidity -- perfect. There are a bunch of markets about half a mile from me. Heck, I like beer. I don't have any. So, I grab my pack and head for the place. Onto the street. Yeah; hot, muggy. I humped it to get a sweat on. After about a quarter mile walking in full sun, I got a sheen. I crossed the street and the most pleasant thing happened. I walked under a construction awning, and there was a bit of a breeze. I actually felt the shirt cooling. I was very impressed.

I got to the market and headed for the refrigerated shelves to get my bev. I almost froze to death. It was freaky. I liked it.

Not that it's much of a load, but beer ain't light. Add a half gallon of cranberry cocktail, and that's an average day pack, right? As I walked with the pack, the shirt remained comfortable. I didn't feel any bunching or excessive rubbing. I could even feel the ventilation of the pack on the shirt. Nice.

My fiance was home when I got back. She was wearing the blue one. Looked great on her. Now, we have four of these great tees.

One downside that I can see, though. It can snag and get little runs. Trim your fingernails, stay away from tree bark. I know, I know. But it's why I gave it only four stars. She and I have been wearing them (almost exclusively, they're that comfy,) for the past week, washed them once, tossed them around the room, and they seem to be no worse for the wear. Again, sorry.

I highly recommend buy a bunch of these great t-shirts while you can. I did.

Nice! Comfy and flexible. Not terribly breathable,…

Summary

Nice!

Comfy and flexible. Not terribly breathable, but I can deal. So far so good. Works as expected. Nothing noteworthy.

Straightforward performance shirt. This shirt is inexpensive…

Summary

Straightforward performance shirt.

Pros

• Quality for price

Cons

• Not wool

This shirt is inexpensive but pretty good quality. It will give you the wicking you so desperately desire and also is pretty good in the odor department.

I was surprised with the comfort as well. While not cotton/wool, it is really one of the more comfortable synthetics I own.

Visit Terramar's Men's Helix Crew Tee page.

CLOSEOUTS . Terramar's Helix T-shirt is every athlete's dream because it's designed to respond to your body's temperature. Innovative EC2(R) Qwik-Dri(R) micropolyester accelerates evaporation as your temperature rises, keeping you comfortable and perspiration free. Available Colors: BLACK, WHITE, MID BLUE, SMOKE, BURGUNDY, SLATE GREY, CYPRESS, COBALT, CHILI, GUNMETAL, LAVA, LODEN, RUSSET, FLAME, OLIVE, STEEL BLUE, CITRUS, BRIGHT BLUE, BRIGHT ORANGE. Sizes: S, M, L, XL, 2XL.

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version

Crew neck, rolled forward shoulder eliminated seam at top of shoulder, flat seam construction, 100% Micro Denier polyester. Engineered two-sided construction. Ec2 Qwik-Dri moisture management. Knit with air pockets for added moisture management. Fabric weight: 3.9 oz (139 g). UPF rating: 15+.

- Vargo Outdoors refers to the men's version

This lightweight temperature-control layer prevents moisture buildup during intense activity. Helix garments work as a stand-alone layer in cool weather or as layering in more frigid conditions. Highly breathable and fast-drying. Won’t cling to skin.

- GearX.com refers to the men's version

Tahoe Mountain Sports Helix Short Sleeve T-Shirts are excellent wicking, lightweight, and quick drying shirts made by Terramar for Tahoe Mountain Sports. All shirts have the Tahoe Mountain Sports logo in metallic silver on the back of the shirt around the lower neck area. Innovative EC2 Qwik-Dri micropolyester accelerates evaporation as your temperature rises, keeping you comfortable and perspiration free. Moisture-wicking and breathable fabric is treated to repel odors and bacteria. Provides UPF 25+ sun protection. Available colors: Black, Blue, Burgundy and Cypress. Material: 100% polyester. Highly breathable and fast drying. Anti Microbial and Anti Odor Technology. Colors: Black, Cobalt, Loden, Gun Metal

- Tahoe Mountain Sports refers to the men's version