The North Face Stormbreak 1

Good all around value for a three-season solo tent.

Price Paid: 129 CDN

Summary

Good all around value for a three-season solo tent.

Pros

• Good value
  • 3 Lb weight
  • Good headroom 34"w x 34"h
  • Freestanding (!)
  • Easy setup with really obvious colour coding

Cons

• Inside loops for a gear hammock would be good
  • Footprint not included
  • Small vestibule (my 40L pack fits ok)
  • Extremely narrow at foot of tent (26")

I shopped around for a 3lb solo tent for quite awhile, and then happened to see this one. The price and weight looked great, and I trusted the brand to be a quality tent. After using it this summer and fall I found that I really like it.

I joked with my camping buddy that I would be sleeping in a coffin, as the tent has very tiny dimensions set up. I thought it might be claustrophobic, but with the good headroom and side entry I have found it very comfortable. Not much room for anything but me in there. (I'm 6'1" and 205) The footprint is VERY tapered and you would likely want to use a 3/4 sleeping pad or tapered pad and a mummy or semi-mummy bag instead of rectangular gear.

The ventilation is great, but would work against it in snowy or blowy conditions. Adjusting the fly just right would be important there.  I swapped out the pegs for aluminum stakes similar to the MSR Groundhogs as well.

All in all I'm very happy with it for three-season use, and for pack weight. For rainy or unknown weather, it's much nicer than a bivy bag.

19851322606_75abf49747_o.jpg

901.jpg

900.jpg

200.jpg

Welcome to Trailspace, Kevin! Thanks for sharing your helpful gear reviews with us, and for the pictures above of your tent. I especially like the first one.

Great tent for the price. Weighs 3.19 lbs. I shave…

Summary

Great tent for the price.

Pros

• Quality
  • Price

Cons

• Weight

Weighs 3.19 lbs.

I shave some weight by replacing the stakes with Groundhog stakes.

Decent headroom and alcove for your pack.