The North Face Tephra 22

Me and the wife love this tent. We have the Big Agnes…

Source: E-bay

Summary

Me and the wife love this tent. We have the Big Agnes double sleeping bag, which fits perfect inside. It's fast and super easy to set up and our dog even has room inside with us at night. I'm 6'2" and I fit perfect in it with the wife and dog. So for all who cry about space you must need a huge tent lol.

Pros

• Easy and fast setup
  • Tough as nails for what it is
  • Looks good

Cons

• Don't really see any

Love this tent.

Simple design of a tent. This no-frills tent will…

Summary

Simple design of a tent. This no-frills tent will get the job done.

Pros

• Easy set up
  • Keeps dry
  • Storm guy outs
  • Bathtub floor

Cons

• Heavy for size
  • Only one door and vestibule
  • Small space in vestibule

This tent is what I would consider a roomy 1 person tent. That being said, you could fit two smaller people snugly.

What I like: Very weather proof, Easy 2 pole design, Corner pockets, Storm guy outs, Spacious for solo hikes, Plenty of headroom.

What I don't like: Only one side door for two people, Small vestibule, cautious about cooking under it, Heavy (almost 6 lbs.), Not ideal for most hikers.

This is a decent tent, and has the option of fly only pitch with footprint. But still, I have a hard time getting around the weight to convenience factor. If it was a couple pounds lighter, I would live with the single door. But it gets the job done, no matter what Mother Nature throws your way.

Nice tent, excellent construction with a hip/modern…

Design: 4 season (here in Florida) free standing tent
Ease of Setup: My dog can do it with his eyes closed
Weight: 14oz.

Nice tent, excellent construction with a hip/modern look, but too small. It is a 2 person tent, but I barely fit in with gear and dog (vestibule isn't big enough to fit all gear). I upgraded to a Kelty Gunnison 4 person and kept this Tephra 22 for storage and for my dog's own personal tent. I am not a big person, but still too small.

I bought this tent not very long ago, but I love it.

Design: three-season freestanding
Ease of Setup: very simple
Weight: 3 pounds

I bought this tent not very long ago, but I love it. I am on a search and rescue team in the Rockies and this works superb for my job. When we go to calls or training it is all about speed and that is where this tent shines. It is very easy to set up and take down (I can do it in less than five mins.)

The other pro is that it is very reliable. It isn't big enough to for two people but it works great for me and all my gear.

One con is that it has very little storage on the inside such as pockets which doesn't bother me on calls but would be nice for camping.

Overall an excellent tent.

I used this tent on 3 backcountry and 5 car-camping…

Ease of Setup: not so easy

I used this tent on 3 backcountry and 5 car-camping trips. At some point one of the poles got a pretty good bend, which gave the tent an odd shape and made the fly even floppier.

Pros: Nice footprint that includes the vestibule. I could keep my bag just outside the door and reach it from inside, which was very convenient.

Cons:
stakes- like most tents in this $ range, the tent stakes were the "break one the first rock" type. replaced them with TNF V stakes, problem solved.

size- I used this tent for solo backpacking. It is not big enough for two backpacking and the gear.

fly- I could never, not ever, get the fly to be taut at all points. Due to this the fly contacted the tent mesh, um... frequently. It was only a matter of time before bad weather made it through the material.

condensation- I don't think it's worse than other tents this size, but because of the fly issues it was always wet inside.

mesh- I like to camp when its cooler outside, in the 20 to 40F range. I used a thermometer to verify this, the mesh construction retains no warmth inside the tent, and so it didn't provide much shelter from the cold.

One time I was in some pretty serious snow and it pressed the sides down and then, in. I woke up in a little narrow and dark tunnel, which was leaking slowly melting snow (from my body heat) through the tent. After that I upgraded to a 4 season MSR (twice the weight, but not so drippy).

Heavy, constricted inner space; to tight for 2 persons,…

Design: free standing, modified dome
Ease of Setup: requires more set-up time compared to fast clip designs
Weight: almost 5 lbs

Heavy, constricted inner space; to tight for 2 persons, vulnerable to condensation and very limited vestibule space.

The North Face Tephra 22

The Tephra 22 has been discontinued.

The North Face Tephra 22 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.