Valandré Bloody Mary

With proper ground insulation and mid baselayer, it's…

Source: bought it used

Summary

With proper ground insulation and mid baselayer, it's very comfy down to 7°F. Terrific design. Fantastic foot box. Very good outer shell. Good for side sleeper. Roomy.

Pros

• Very warm. Fantastic down quality and filling
  • Terrific design
  • Great foot box.
  • Versatility.
  • Roomy, allows serious layering
  • Good for side sleeper.
  • Very good warm-to-weight ratio.
  • Can be used in very extreme conditions.

Cons

• A little bigger draft tube can make this bag even better.
  • Lot of velcros.
  • Roomy. May be a drawback for some.

First let's talk about the loft and down density. I measured it very precisely and removed the collar before doing it: 6.5 inches for the upper torso, 6 inches in the middle, and 7 just before the foot box. But that doesn't mean anything if I don't mention down resilience. It is phenomenal. It almost feel like it's overstuffed.

Second the design. I love the footbox. It's very very warm. I love the fact that it's a little less insulated at the leg section. My legs are always too warm. It is roomy so it's comfy and you can layer a lot. It can be a drawback for some. If you like tight fit it may not a bag for you. My only real complaint is about the draft tube. It can be better designed like the Shocking Blue one and a little bit thicker. I think it would improve the bag performance a lot.

Talking about performance the bag performs really well. I'm an average sleeper and was absolutely comfy down to a measured 7 or 10°F (I took with me 2 thermometers) used with an exped down dm 7 and mid layer. I was sleeping on the back and outside without a bivy bag or a tent. I'm sure I can sleep at slightly lower temp if I sleep on the side. The bag has a 50/50 so it is very good for side sleeper. Without the draft tube issue I have no doubt this bag could withstand 5°F without layering.

I tried it around 5F with a fleece and was OK, but felt it was its limit. Beyond that temp add a down vest and down booties. Actually I tried the bag down to 2F but my left arm was too cold so it woke me up. Without that I would have probably rated the bag 2F.

To finish I will talk about the fabric. It performs really well. It stops the wind adequately. And handles condensation efficiently. One night I had frost all over the bag and didn't have any issues. I just dried the bag under the sun in 20 minutes and no water enters the fabric.

Didn't put a 5 star due to the draft tube.

If you've owned or used a Valandré Bloody Mary, please share your experience.