Vargo Decagon

1 comment

I have heard people say they have had trouble getting a good boil going with this stove. I took mine straight to the 40 degree garage and got consistent 5 minute boil times for 2 cups of water. This was with no wind screen and 3 successful attempts with 3 different pots. 5 minutes each time.

We are supposed to get down to low 20's this weekend, I am curious to test the performance then. I believe that with a wind screen adding reflected heat, the time may get even better. Yes, it can be slow to prime if you just light the top, but external priming takes care of that.

I have experimented with many home made stoves and decided that the durability of titanium would be worth the price. I like this stove becauese of its consistency.

Update 9/27/14:

It's now September 2014 and the stove is still going strong. I love it. I now own both the old and the new style and I admit I like the old style better, as it primes easier. The new model is faster to fill. But you need to be more aggressive priming it and you need the reflective heat of a wind screen for both of these to work at their peak.

I just bought the Triad and its test boil went great. Between the two, I  slightly lean toward the Triad for its smaller size and the pots seem more stable on them. Remember, windscreens are key to performance.

Thanks for adding an update, ron.

Have you owned or used a Vargo Decagon? Share your experience »