A solid, well made, very comfortable backpacking boot…

Summary

A solid, well made, very comfortable backpacking boot that doubles as a day hiker on rough terrain.

Pros

• Easy break-in
  • Durable upper
  • Waterproof
  • Excellent lacing system

Cons

• Terrible laces
  • Virbram sole wears quickly depending on terrain

After reading some stellar reviews on the Vasque St. Elias GTX, including its winning Editors Choice as "Best Hiking Boot" from Outdoor Gear Lab, I dove in and grabbed my first pair of all leather pair of boots.

Most of my trail time is spent backpacking but I still get out on a lot of day/night hikes. I wanted a boot that would perform well with both light and heavier loads and the St. Elias has definitely served that purpose. Despite their 3 lb+ weight, I don't know if I've ever had that feeling where you can't wait to take your boots off at the end of the day.

What I was looking forward to was an all leather boot "forming" to my foot and that was the case. After some wear and tear they feel like they're custom made. The break-in time was much shorter than I anticipated and while I wouldn't do 15 miles out of the box, it only took a couple of short trips before I felt confident in putting on some miles.

The boot is very waterproof and has delivered exceptionally well in rain and snow. Rock solid protection. However, it is necessary to reapply a coating on occasion. Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather has worked perfectly.

I was also concerned about breathability in warmer temps but it's never been an issue. And as one who doesn't want to feel every rock under my feet, the St Elias has delivered in a big way. Traction is excellent and other than the discoloration that comes from leather (which I like), the upper shows very little signs of wear after many hundreds of miles. The lacing system is also outstanding.

There are a couple of caveats though. If you pick up the St. Elias you should buy a pair of replacement laces along with them. The stock laces are a joke, especially considering the price of these boots. Unfortunately, Vasque doesn't offer replacements. Sof Sole Trim-To-Fit have done the job perfectly.

Sizing is also an issue. Vasque runs very, very narrow and it took me three tries to get the right size. Thankfully, they offer a Wide which, in all honesty, feels more like a standard width. So unless you have a very narrow foot, the Wide might be the way to start. I also needed to go up a half size, but that provided just the right amount of room in the toe box.

And while I don't necessarily see this as Vasque's fault, the Vibram sole, which was rock solid to start, wore down far too quickly for my taste. The fact that the upper is still in such great shape will result in a resoling. But if you're doing a lot of hiking on rocky terrain, it's something to consider. If you're spending time on groomed, softer trails, I imagine these boots would last for many years. Still wish a competitor to Vibram would emerge. Not the first time I've had the soles go far before the upper.

So if you're looking for a solid boot to do double duty, and don't feel trail runners are the answer to all man's problems, the Vasque St Elias is definitely one to consider.

011.jpg

Great review, TJ! About how long did it take for the soles to break down?

Phil Smith

Definitely agree on the width, I tried a full size up from my normal 11 and there was no difference in the feel. I hated having to return them the 2nd time because I liked everything else about them.

T.J.

I'd say maybe 500-600 miles or so Alicia before they started getting really slick. I still use them in the snow and when the terrain is suitable. But thanks to a happy client who tossed me a nice REI gift card, I have a new pair. :) I'm going to resole the first pair and use them in rotation. Hard to switch brands when you find one that works.

T.J.

@Phil - That's my situation too Phil. Went from an 11 to a 12W. Sorry they didn't work for you. But you know, given that they're all leather they can be stretched. If not by a shoe shop you might see some success just wearing a whole bunch of socks when you're breaking them in. :)

Phil Smith

T.J - I tried having both pairs stretched, but the point at which they were uncomfortable was underneath the toe rand where my pinky toe rubbed. Though looking back I probably could have sent them off to Dave Page and had him remove the rand, stretch them, and then put the rand back on. I just bought a 2nd pair of Fugitives and a pair of Salewas, but if I ever find myself looking for all-leather boots I'll probably give that plan a shot.

Thanks for the info, TJ.

This boot is very stable and comfortable. Having other…

Price Paid: $125 on Sale

Summary

This boot is very stable and comfortable. Having other Vasque boots over the years, I knew what to expect and was not disappointed. I would highly recommend this boot for backpackers as well as hikers.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Stabilty
  • Runs true to size
  • Available in Wide

This boot is very stable and comfortable. Having owned other Vasque boots over the years, I knew what to expect and was not disappointed.

I like that you have the ability to get your size in Wide as I have a wide foot and this allowed me to get the correct fit.

I have worn these boots carrying 40+lbs in my pack, up and down various terrain, multiple days and the comfort and support these boot gave was perfect. As for breaking these in, I only wore these around the house for several days prior to doing a 10+ mile day hike with a 25lb pack.

On this trip I stopped about a mile into it and adjusted the lacing; which I like to do after I get walking with my pack on my trips, and I was good to go for the 3,000 ft of total elevation that I encountered on our trip.

The ability to lace these boots up and have them stay they way you tied them until you either make an adjustment or take them off is a plus for your feet.

I have also walked through streams and my feet stayed dry. The high ankle support and the overall construction of this boot along with a decent price point make this boot a great buy for backpackers.

My 14-yo son has the same boots and he just outgrew his last pair. He asked that we get him the same boots as he liked how they fit, felt and the break in (or lack there of) period. He put the new pair of boots on right out of the box and we hiked 4.5 miles with 20lbs in our packs and he had no problems.

In the past 6 months or so I've put on just over 50 miles on these boots and my feet are still happy!
image.jpg

Thanks for the review, Paul. How many miles do you think you have on your pair? Care to share a picture?

1 year ago

Nice picture! Thanks for sharing it, Paul.

1 year ago

This is a quality waterproof backpacking boot that…

Summary

This is a quality waterproof backpacking boot that is available in wide sizes. Great Vibram sole.

Pros

• Waterproofing
  • Comfort
  • Lacing system

Cons

• Break-in is a little longer than expected

This is a high quality waterproof hiking boot. The waterproof membrane appears to be of high quality as the boot breathes remarkably well. The fit seems correct as advertised, I live the fact that there are two widths available. I have replaced the footbed with a Green SuperFeet footbed and that seems to improve comfort considerably.

The boots seem to be breaking in well. I have been switching between a lightweight and a mid-weight sock and have found that when wearing the lightweight sock, there is a pressure point just below the arches. This seem to diminish as I break them in more.

The lacing system is fantastic. There is a pinch loop that allows you to adjust the tension of the lower v.upper boot. Very handy!

The boots are very water resistant. I have worn them on snowy trails and they did just great. The vibram soles offer great traction both on rocks as well as in snow.

Great boot with stiff sole which provides great foot…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Great boot with stiff sole which provides great foot support. I have plantar fascitiis. I tried different boots, Vasque St. Elias GTX is the boot that provides support that I need for my foot condition and allows me to continue to hike and enjoy the great outdoor trails.

Pros

• Great foot support
  • Traction
  • Waterproof

Boot does run a tap narrow. Ordered half a size up, took care of it.

Takes a little breaking in. The boot does a wonderful…

Summary

Takes a little breaking in.

Pros

• Very comfortable boot, great for work and hiking
  • Good mud lug
  • Comes in wide size that is actually wide

Cons

• The sharp eyelets will cut your strings pretty fast if you are not careful, but they keep the strings locked in.
  • Go ahead a buy another pair of strings, you will need them

The boot does a wonderful job supporting my foot. After I changed the lacing (I have high arches) they are the best boot I have found for backpacking. They are waterproof so they can get a bit warm in hot weather, it is a very well made boot and I do suggest getting a pair.

Thanks for sharing your first review with us, Larry! What sort of terrain and hikes do you use your Vasques on?