Vasque St. Elias GTX

This boot is very stable and comfortable. Having other…

Price Paid: $125 on Sale

Summary

This boot is very stable and comfortable. Having other Vasque boots over the years, I knew what to expect and was not disappointed. I would highly recommend this boot for backpackers as well as hikers.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Stabilty
  • Runs true to size
  • Available in Wide

This boot is very stable and comfortable. Having owned other Vasque boots over the years, I knew what to expect and was not disappointed.

I like that you have the ability to get your size in Wide as I have a wide foot and this allowed me to get the correct fit.

I have worn these boots carrying 40+lbs in my pack, up and down various terrain, multiple days and the comfort and support these boot gave was perfect. As for breaking these in, I only wore these around the house for several days prior to doing a 10+ mile day hike with a 25lb pack.

On this trip I stopped about a mile into it and adjusted the lacing; which I like to do after I get walking with my pack on my trips, and I was good to go for the 3,000 ft of total elevation that I encountered on our trip.

The ability to lace these boots up and have them stay they way you tied them until you either make an adjustment or take them off is a plus for your feet.

I have also walked through streams and my feet stayed dry. The high ankle support and the overall construction of this boot along with a decent price point make this boot a great buy for backpackers.

My 14-yo son has the same boots and he just outgrew his last pair. He asked that we get him the same boots as he liked how they fit, felt and the break in (or lack there of) period. He put the new pair of boots on right out of the box and we hiked 4.5 miles with 20lbs in our packs and he had no problems.

In the past 6 months or so I've put on just over 50 miles on these boots and my feet are still happy!
image.jpg

Thanks for the review, Paul. How many miles do you think you have on your pair? Care to share a picture?

Nice picture! Thanks for sharing it, Paul.

This is a quality waterproof backpacking boot that…

Summary

This is a quality waterproof backpacking boot that is available in wide sizes. Great Vibram sole.

Pros

• Waterproofing
  • Comfort
  • Lacing system

Cons

• Break-in is a little longer than expected

This is a high quality waterproof hiking boot. The waterproof membrane appears to be of high quality as the boot breathes remarkably well. The fit seems correct as advertised, I live the fact that there are two widths available. I have replaced the footbed with a Green SuperFeet footbed and that seems to improve comfort considerably.

The boots seem to be breaking in well. I have been switching between a lightweight and a mid-weight sock and have found that when wearing the lightweight sock, there is a pressure point just below the arches. This seem to diminish as I break them in more.

The lacing system is fantastic. There is a pinch loop that allows you to adjust the tension of the lower v.upper boot. Very handy!

The boots are very water resistant. I have worn them on snowy trails and they did just great. The vibram soles offer great traction both on rocks as well as in snow.