Salomon X Ultra 2

Men's
Price Historic Range: $59.83-$120.00
Women's
Price Historic Range: $24.73-$120.00

These shoes are comfortable and supportive; stood up to a 65-mile backpacking trek with 35-40 lbs pack; could use a little more toe room.

Pros

• Breathable
  • Good cushioning
  • Great grip

Cons

• Needs more toe room
  • Could be even more breathable

This is my second Salomon trail-hiking shoe. I initially tried the XA Pro 3D, but it just didn't offer enough protection in the sole against rocks. The X Ultra 2 has that extra bit of cushioning that keeps my feet from feeling like they've been beaten with a hammer after miles on a rocky trail.

Salomon sizes run a little small, so I had to get a 9 1/2, compared to 8 1/2 for most of my street and dress shoes.

The shoe was very comfortable and kept me blister-free until the first day off the trail, when I wore a non-hiking sock with a little bit of a seam that rubbed across the side of my big toe and raised a small blister.  I am careful to wear Darn Tough lightweight hiking socks that are virtually seam-free.  A little roomier toebox—more like a Keen—would probably solve that problem.

The shoes breathed well, and even after hiking 6-8 miles, I'd take off my socks and find my feet dry to the touch, which is one of the reasons why no blisters on the trail. I wish the upper mesh was a bit more breathable, like the XA Pro 3D, but the tradeoff is that the X Ultra 2's denser uppers keep out more trail dust.

Traction was great. I used these for a rock-climbing experience, and they gripped like flypaper on the rock wall.

The key difference vis-a-vis the X Ultra Prime is the quick-lace system. It doesn't offer the ability to tweak the lacing, but it also meant that I could tighten or loosen the laces quickly without holding up the whole group.

Thanks for the helpful review, Patrick. Do you have any pictures of your Salomons you could show others in your review? Out of curiosity, where was your backpacking trip?

Patrick Stuart

The hike was at Philmont Scout Ranch, so they coped with rocky trails well.

Thanks, Patrick!