Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite

Very comfortable kayak! Great for beginners and novice…

Summary

Very comfortable kayak! Great for beginners and novice kayakers. It tracks extremely well, but I would not recommend it for small streams or rough water.

Pros

• Exceptional tracking
  • Amazing storage space
  • Very comfortable

Cons

• Doesn't turn swiftly

I bought this kayak in July of 2012 because I blew out my lower back and had to have surgery in late May, so I needed a lighter kayak than the Old Town Vapor that I owned. Although there are lighter weight kayaks than this at 39lbs., this suits my needs perfectly.

I have paddled lakes in the ADK's and Finger Lakes, and on the canal in upstate N.Y. So far I LOVE this kayak! It has handled very well in 2-3ft waves, and on quiet water it glides effortlessly. Turning does take some effort because it tracks so well. I have done several kayak camping trips in the ADK's, and can easily fit all my gear in and on this boat. I even tow my dog behind me in his Sevylor raft.

As far as durabilty, I'm pretty rough on my gear, even dropping the kayak on several occasions off of the rack on the top of my Wrangler and it has held up well, with only some scratches on the bottom. It is very stable, even full of gear, towing a full raft, and I am not a lightweight at 230lbs! The rear storage compartment is unbeatable! Not only would I guarantee your stuff would stay dry, I can't believe how much you can put in there! The cockpit is also quite comfortably roomy. I bought the dashboard to go with this because I'm a photographer, and it has worked out great!

I would highly recommend this kayak, and the Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company in Old Forge, N.Y., where I buy all my kayaks.
DSC_0204.jpg

Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite

$1,189.00

The Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 23, 2014 at River Sports Outfitters.

If you're looking for a new recreational kayak, check out the best reviewed current models.