Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite

Very comfortable kayak! Great for beginners and novice…

Summary

Very comfortable kayak! Great for beginners and novice kayakers. It tracks extremely well, but I would not recommend it for small streams or rough water.

Pros

• Exceptional tracking
  • Amazing storage space
  • Very comfortable

Cons

• Doesn't turn swiftly

I bought this kayak in July of 2012 because I blew out my lower back and had to have surgery in late May, so I needed a lighter kayak than the Old Town Vapor that I owned. Although there are lighter weight kayaks than this at 39lbs., this suits my needs perfectly.

I have paddled lakes in the ADK's and Finger Lakes, and on the canal in upstate N.Y. So far I LOVE this kayak! It has handled very well in 2-3ft waves, and on quiet water it glides effortlessly. Turning does take some effort because it tracks so well. I have done several kayak camping trips in the ADK's, and can easily fit all my gear in and on this boat. I even tow my dog behind me in his Sevylor raft.

As far as durabilty, I'm pretty rough on my gear, even dropping the kayak on several occasions off of the rack on the top of my Wrangler and it has held up well, with only some scratches on the bottom. It is very stable, even full of gear, towing a full raft, and I am not a lightweight at 230lbs! The rear storage compartment is unbeatable! Not only would I guarantee your stuff would stay dry, I can't believe how much you can put in there! The cockpit is also quite comfortably roomy. I bought the dashboard to go with this because I'm a photographer, and it has worked out great!

I would highly recommend this kayak, and the Mountainman Outdoor Supply Company in Old Forge, N.Y., where I buy all my kayaks.
DSC_0204.jpg

Visit Wilderness Systems's Pungo 120 Ultralite page.

Phase 3 AirPro Seating SystemMade in the USADashboard (optional)Orbix Stern HatchDeck RiggingMolded BulkheadComfort Carry HandlesSlideLock Foot Brace SystemVacuum-Formed SeatThigh and Knee Padding SpecificationsLength: 12' / 366 cmWidth: 29 / 74 cmMax Capacity: 325 lbs. / 147 kgDeck Height: 13 / 33 cmWeight: 40 lbs. / 18 kgCockpit Length: 57 / 145 cmCockpit Width: 22 / 56 cm

- River Sports Outfitters

A pleasure to paddle, especially for beginners, this compact, lightweight recreational kayak is especially easy to manage both on and off the water. Its superlight UltraLite hull material consists of high-impact acrylic over premium ABS; it's stiff and more responsive than polyethylene. It also has a glossy shine that polyethylene can't match. The hull's keel line and multichined shape provide great stability, easy steering and straight tracking. Sealed stern hatch provides dry storage space and maximum flotation. Now equipped with the new Phase 3 AirPro seat which features contoured perforated foam to increase ventilation and comfort. All adjustment straps are easy to use and are located forward of the paddler no more reaching behind to awkwardly pull on straps. Gear bag attached to seat holds snacks, water bottle or anything you want to keep close at hand. Bungee cords let you fold seatback down flat if you transport your boat bow-down on top of your car. SlideLock foot braces all adjust to customize the fit to your comfort. And all adjustment controls are within easy reach while you're underway, so you can shift your position to relieve back and thigh fatigue during long paddles. USA. Dimensions 12'L x 29"W, Cockpit 57"L x 22"W. Weight 40 lb. Capacity 325 lb.

- L.L.Bean

Quick and stable, the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite kayak is made with a special hull material that increases performance and shaves off nearly 9 lbs. of extra weight. You'll have more fun on the water thanks to the coextruded acrylic over premium ABS plastic, which is stiff and light like composites with similar looks. Durable and high-performance hull material is called Ultralite, and it weighs about 9 lbs. less than the polyethylene version of the Pungo 120. Multichine, distinct-keel hull delivers stability and easy handling with tracking unexpected in kayaks of this short length. Roomy cockpit offers comfort and a boat that's easy to get in and out of, even for full-size paddlers. Breathable, padded seat adjusts forward and backward, and leg lifters and large backrest enhance comfort. Seat adjusts on the fly via comfy T-grip handle to relieve fatigue on long paddles; thigh and knee pads just inside cockpit rim offer extra comfort. Slidelock footrail system is easily adjustable, comfortable and rugged; footbraces adjust via extension rod that places positioning at your fingertips. Generous Orbix stern hatch holds your lunch, paddling gear and extra clothes. Orbix hatch cover features a hinged design and locking lever; to open hatch, simply slide lever to unlock cover and flip open to access gear. Comes with bulkhead flotation, carry handles and criss-cross bungee deck rigging. Comfort carry handles at bow and stern make transporting the 40 lb. Pungo 120 Ultralite kayak easy.

There's no doubt that composite kayaks are gorgeous, but they can also be expensive and a little high-maintenance. With the Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite, you can have the best of both worlds: a kayak that has the look and feel of a composite boat with the durability and affordability of a plastic one.For free shipping to over 50 of our stores, or to ask any questions, call Customer Service at 888-463-6367.

- EMS

Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite

$1,189.00

The Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 Ultralite is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 23, 2014 at River Sports Outfitters.

If you're looking for a new recreational kayak, check out the best reviewed current models.