Asolo 520

I've used Asolo TPS 520 GV boots for years now. …

I've used Asolo TPS 520 GV boots for years now.  I wore out one pair although they're still very useable for day hiking and so on.

The plus sides are that for most people they fit correctly right out of the box.  They're tough, waterproof, supportive, and warm.  I find them to work well on rocky trails and off-trail use, snowshoeing, and long, wet winter hikes here in the Pacific NW.  I've used these boots in the Cascades, Wyoming Rockies, Canadian Rockies, North Cascades, high Sierras, and several minor ranges in the American west.

The downside is the sole.  It doesn't have the best of grip on steep spring snow and when the soles wear out not just any boot repairer can replace the soles.

To solve the first problem I use Kahtoola Microspikes.  I've found a shop in Seattle and one in Colorado that can replace the soles.

A friend hiked half the AT in the Gore-Tex version…

Materials: leather
Use: rough trail w/medium pack
Break-in Period: about 6 miles - almost instantaneous
Weight: 2 lbs. 10 oz.

A friend hiked half the AT in the Gore-Tex version and raved about them. I wore these on part of the AT in Maine and on the Annapurna Sanctuary trek in Nepal. The boots have excellent tread, and a nice, high collar but the full length nylon shank is wimpy on rough and rocky trails -- especially with a heavy pack. It tends to twist when you hit rocks on the edge of your soul and the bottom isn't as hard as it could be -- to protect your soft foot from the hard rocks. The high collar, about 6", was irritating to my achilles despite a deep notch. The upper leather is pretty thin too and won't give a whole lot of ankle support over time. This is a good boot for lighter day hikes.

If you've owned or used an Asolo 520, please share your experience.

Asolo 520

The 520 has been discontinued.

The Asolo 520 is not available from the stores we monitor.