Brooks Cascadia 9

This may be the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned.

Summary

This may be the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned. Great for training, early morning walks, and light day hiking.

Pros

• Super comfortable
  • Supportive
  • Excellent traction
  • Very breathable

Cons

• Durability is a bit of a concern

My feet are notoriously difficult to fit. I have long toes... wide fore-feet (bunions)... narrow heel... no arches... and size 14. These all combine to make shoe purchasing a chore every time.

With the Cascadias, I have found the holy grail of training shoes for my feet. Fit is excellent, with lots of room for my toes and bunions, without having my feet slip around in the shoe. Break-in time was non-existent. With my Sole footbeds inside, I get excellent support for my over-pronating ankles.

For years I had some Vasque Blur trail running shoes. They fit quite well, but the traction was truly awful. No such problem here. These soles stick like glue to whatever surface I am on, wet or dry. The tops are mesh, which is wonderfully breathable in warm conditions. The other side of the coin is, that they are not waterproof... though with the drought conditions we are currently experiencing in Nor Cal, this has not really been an issue. When they do get wet, they dry quickly.

My only concern is durability when hiking in rugged conditions. After the first couple of Sierra Foothill hikes I took with them, they started to show an unusual amount of wear. But after a long hike in boots, it feels luxurious to put these on my tired feet at the end of the day.

So these are my go-to for training, going to the gym, and post-hike, and a pleasure to wear. If someone would make a hiking shoe this comfortable, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

20150219_073308-1-.jpg

David, define "rugged conditions." I'm wondering if they would hold up on a trail like the AT?

denis daly

@Goose two of my friends used them and the 8's on the AT for a thru hike this past year.Some people are going to use the 10's this year..

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks for the helpful review, David. My husband has also has Cascadia 9's and he swears that they are the most comfortable shoes he's ever worn. I want a pair, but the colors for the women are not especially desirable.

David Link

I know a lot of people have used them for ultralight PCT thru-hikes. I suppose I would define rugged as having rocky stuff which can tear a shoe up a bit. Having said that, I am a bit hard on shoes.

David Link

Ashleigh... I hear you. Some of the colors these things come in are really funky. My wife made a negative comment about them when I first got them. I told her that she should be thankful that I didn't get the ones in the dayglo orange and green (the other option at the time)!

@Dennis--thank you! @David--also, thank you. I'll be taking a harder look at these things when it's time to retire my current shoes.

David Link

I was in REI the other day, and they said that with the Cascadia 10's now on the shelf, that the 9's will probably go on sale sometime this spring. He suggested checking back frequently.