Evernew Ti DX Set With Stove

upper lower
Weight 3.03 oz / 86 g (including stove)
Dimensions 3.26 x 2.36 in 2.36 x 1.97 in

One has to experiment with setting it up with both…

Price Paid: About 80 dollars including shipping

Summary

One has to experiment with setting it up with both the base and windscreen, just the base, and just the windscreen to get the best of all possible worlds. (This is best accomplished at home instead of on the trail.) I use both to boil water with my Fire Maple heat exchanger pot. It will boil a liter and a half of water faster than my microwave. I use the burner and just the base to make espresso coffee in two minutes.

If I want to simmer a pot and cook something that takes medium heat (like pancakes), I place the burner into the windscreen and the combination of stove and windscreen works perfectly to simmer. The Ti Dx Set also works with my Trangia, Alocs, and other alcohol burners. This product is so good that my hoarding gene kicked in and I purchased two of them.

Pros

• Does not use much fuel when combined with a heat exchanger pot
  • Flexable, can configure the Ti burner into the base, the windscreen, both, or with the power plate
  • Flexable, can configure the stove to work with practically any alcohol burner, esbit tablets, or wood (it is small for wood)
  • Do not need a windscreen with this stove unless in gale force winds
  • Light, packs small, and fits into a pot for storage
  • Cools quickly so you can put it away before your freeze dried food is rehydrated
  • Blooms quickly
  • Will simmer for a long time when configured for simmer (see notes above)

Cons

• The cost is high for such a little device
  • Need to put it in a pot or into a light weight plastic canister (I use a Zip Lock disposable) in your pack so you will not mash it flat in your pack

Have utilized this stove for 9 camping trips so far this summer and it is now my go-to stove for everything. Used to swear by my Trangia until I had fuel boil over twice on one trip.

Once I got back from the trip in which I had the incidents, I investigated further and found out that if one traps heat (by utilizing a very big pot or a flat griddle type of pan) over an alcohol stove for extended periods of time (longer than 8 minutes) that does not have cooling provisions at it's base, then fuel boil over is possible. Those incidents starting my search for a stove set up that has cooling holes at the base of the stove for cooling the burner.

Once I purchased this one, I have never looked back. It is engineered well as a package and I feel safer using it. There has not been a camping product that has impressed me more than this stove in years. I highly recommend it.

Welcome to Trailspace, Lewis! Thanks for this review. It's interesting timing. I just bought this from Campsaver. After it arrived, I quickly decided my cat food can stove & DIY windscreen are lighter and only cost me $2 to make. (Plus it was too big to fit into my Ti mug for travel.) So I shipped it back yesterday. Since I'm stingy on fuel (I measure out exactly 0.8floz & don't seek a full boil), I've never had a boil over.

Lewis Bagwell

Can understand simplicity. I think simple is a better solution nearly every time...especially when it comes to stoves. I also agree with you that the cat food can stove is an absolute winner. Why spend $80 when $2 will do exactly what you need it to do. Everyone has different needs and therefore what works for one will not necessarily work for another. I end up boiling water for three of us for tea and rehydrating food at the same time so I need a flame thrower that fits with my 1.6 liter heat exchanger Fire Maple pot. The evernew TI set with the power plate works fast and like a charm. I also need a simmer flame for my single espresso maker that will not throw flame up the sides and burn the handle off. The Evernew stove with the top burner blocked works for me and my special needs. I believe that the intended purpose (and safety) should drive the stove set up buying decision. It is hard to beat a cat can stove. They do work great.

DrPhun

This review was super helpful. I have one of these and didn't love it because in the standard setup it seemed to run too hot i.e. I was getting a more yellow flame and soot which indicated an inefficient burn probably due to the fuel evaporating faster than oxygen could get to it. After reading your review, I tried it again as you suggested using just the base with the burner and again with the upper windscreen upside down with the burner in that and both worked much better giving a nice blue flame and no soot, and both with different heat levels. It also seemed that I may have been putting too much fule in the stove as a small amount of fuel worked just fine - I guess the fuel in the center may have been boiling too much (although I didn't get the boil over you found.)

DrPhun

Lewis Bagwell

DrPhun, glad I could help you sir. The fuel boil over I experienced was with my Trangia in an Alocs base with a large pan of water on top. It happened to me twice on the same camping trip. Each time the stove had been in use for over 8 to 9 minutes and there was a lot of trapped heat at the base. Believe that trapped heat can make any stove misbehave. I still use my Trangia but make sure that I do not fill it more than about a 1/3 of the way and use it in the DX stand with cooling holes at the base. I have been impressed with the versatility of the DX stand to use the Evernew burner in several configurations and also use other burners like the Trangia. I do not know whether Evernew designed it that way, or it came out by accident, but it works great. Let's go camping!

Ok, let's get this part out of the way - Yes, it's…

Price Paid: a lot

Ok, let's get this part out of the way - Yes, it's expensive. And I'm spoiled, but consistently rarely--- and this was one piece of Ti I had to possess. I love to cook, what better excuse. From the looks at first I said hmm... did they test out where every hole was punched, what shape, and how many? Probably.

My Test.

65 degrees no wind 50 percent humidity.- San Francisco

Set up with only the pieces provided-, power plate resting under stove as storage

My 1.5 litre MSR Titan pot.

Markings on the inside of the stove (max line is a smidge over 2 oz.)- hit it.

-Insert 6 cups cold tap water( 48 oz). 13 degrees Celsius, no lid.

Hit stopwatch at flick of bic. ( including prime time on this test) and two seconds later pot goes on top centered carefully.

@ 11. minutes. arrive hard rolling boil. (simmer was back over half a minute ago) its almost out of the pot. but no.

13 minutes. - rolling boil starts to begin settling.

13.5--flickers

So.

What are the practical purposes for such a well engineered get up?

You can set it up to burn forest snippets or esbit tabs. -- one reason i got it.

You can feel guilty because that money could have gone to a homeless shelter

You can rest assured that by the feel of it, with the exceptions of befalling a sleepwalking foot/ knee, you will be very fond of it fortnights.

At 3 oz, it's not a cat food can, and at almost ninety dollars it could be a Garmin 24K DVD shopped well. But it's not, it's delicate on the eyes, easy to figure out after 5 minutes of Rubiks cube work, and a standalone target for envious criticism. With modular capabilities from simmer to rip, (do experiment with configs), it puts out enough for two hip campers easily, or more. I'm taking it on the CDT for the occasional* sponge bath.

Okay, it certainly is expensive. If you calculate…

Price Paid: A lot

Okay, it certainly is expensive. If you calculate the difference between conventional gear and titanium gear and price your ounces saved, you will understand that air has become the most expensive commodity in the outdoor world.

But as a piece of kit, this is just fantastic and worth every penny. It is superlight, the stove is efficient, and with the trivet cross-stand it permits multiple permutations.

One thing to say is that Evernew's guidance is that the trivet cross-stand can not be used on top of the stand / windscreeen. This is incorrect — it can be done and is my favourite setup for boiling water. I own a Trangia too and after one year in a dry storage environment have noticed corrosion setting in. The Evernew will never corrode.

I've used my Evernew set for summer camping and will be taking it winter camping too. I love it so much I even use it to boil up water for coffee in my kitchen. On a full stove of alcohol, I can boil enough for 4 to 6 cups within 15 minutes (refilling my small pot between boils). The stove is fast and blooms every time, unlike some titanium stoves out there. I like having the versatility to burn wood if fuel runs out on a hike.

Downsides:

1. Price, but then multi-fuel setups are even more expensive and are not environmentally friendly.
  2. Be careful to set the burner up away from long grass - in windy conditions this is a necessary safety precaution.
  3. No simmer capacity, but the build quality and corrosion proof materials edge the Trangia by a long way.

All round, I love this piece of kit and would pay the money for it again if I ever had to.