Galibier Super Rando

Galibier boots are still available! Do you remember…

Source: Found through on-line research

Summary

Galibier boots are still available!

Pros

• Best damn hiking boots ever made

Cons

• None

Do you remember Galibier boots from the 1970s and '80s? They made classic mountaineering boots, full leather, with Norwegian welted soles. The Vercors were very popular as a general mountaineering boot, but were very stiff.  I had a pair of Randos which were less stiff and well suited to backpacking.

I researched them and found they are still made in France by Paraboot. The two models are the Super Guide and the Super Rando. I was able to order the Super Rando in my size, a euro 45, from Soodi at Pelle Line shoes in New Jersey. I paid $548 which including import duty and shipping.  I received them within three weeks and am wearing them as I write this.

They were comfortable out of the box and fit me like a custom boot. I have had Limmers and Alicos among others and these are superior in every way. My off-the-shelf Limmers didn't even come close in fit and workmanship. Sure they were expensive but I feel these are the last hiking boots I will have to buy, and they are equivalent to custom made boots.

If you are tired of the modern Goretex lined boots which don't last and the hot sweaty feet and poor fit they incur, then I can't recommend the Galibier Randos strongly enough. In my opinion full leather can't be beat for the kind of hiking I do in the Sierra.

If you are interested call Soodi at Pelle Line Shoes in New Jersey and she will be happy to order you a pair.  You can Google them for the number.

cowbiker

Thanks for the review and tip on getting them domestically Richard. Greatly appreciated Sir.

Eric Moss

Limmer 10.5W midweights would be my size. Lowa 10.5 (44) are short unless I wear thin socks. The Galibier website offers no advice on how their 44 compares to the average. What is your experience as to how Super Randos fit compared to other boots, ie narrow heel, wide toes, high volume, etc? Thanks!

Galibier Super Rando

No price on record.

The Galibier Super Rando is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.