Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe

The Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe is a great addition…

Price Paid: $110 (after show discount)

The Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe is a great addition to my light car camp and canoe camp kits.

• Fine handmade workmanship
  • Keen edge as purchased
  • Great intermediate weight axe
  • Handy for wood processing and rough carving
  • Splendid fine grained hickory handle

• Can be hard to find
  • Some may find the price an objection

I had admired the Bruk axes for some time and always thought I would like to have one. They have a very good reputation and are a thing of beauty to look at.

I finally settled on the Small Forest Axe as my choice for style and size. It fits between other axes I already own, a 1.5lb hand axe and a 2.75lb "boys axe". I was looking for an axe I could process arm sized wood with as well as for roughing out shapes for carving spoons and such. It has done exactly what I wanted and hoped it would do.

I looked online and because of limited supply the prices were twice or more of the suggested list price. OUCH! I knew that our local canoe shop was a distributor of Bruks axes and that their annual spring show and sale was coming up so I waited patiently for the event.

In past years the U.S. importer had a booth set up and the program for the show indicated they would in 2016 as well. The show opened at 4 p.m. on a Friday night and I made sure the first stop I made was to the Bruks booth.

When I got there the had a nice selection of axes including a handful of the Small Forest Axe. I made my selection from that small group and couldn't be happier with my selection and feel lucky to have one of Bruk's handcrafted axes (with the initials of the craftsman that made the axe, AS).

A few specifications for the Small Forest Axe.

• Head height = 2lb
  • Handle length = 19in
  • Handle material = hickory, includes leather sheath with snap strap

I used the axe for the first time in a small woods behind our home for cutting down a dead small 4-5" diameter black locust tree. These trees were originally planted in our area for use as fence posts and are noted for their tough nature. The axe cut into it really well removing nice chips that made quick work of the small tree.

Next I sampled the axe as a pruner to remove small branches from a cherry tree in our yard. Again the sharp edge, hand weight, and length were perfect for the job. Later I tried splitting some 10" long chunks of elm. The axe did surprisingly well splitting even a somewhat twisted grained sample. It put a smile on my face to use this fine tool.

In camp it has made a dandy tool for limbing wood so that the trunk can be easily move or sawed up. It has also been a nice tool for splitting pieces of wood that are too large to baton split with my knife. And it has met my need for a tool to rough shape wood for carving.

All in all I would highly recommend the Bruk axe in particular and would guess that their other offerings are just as good tools.

Congratulations on the new axe, Chuck. I hope you'll keep us posted on how it holds up.

A small axe for the outdoors. At around 32 ounces…

A small axe for the outdoors.

• lightweight
  • well made
  • perfect size

• expensive

At around 32 ounces and 19 inches long, this is a great small axe for hiking and the outdoors. It is a handmade Swedish axe that has seen some serious use in the two years I've owned it, and it still looks brand new. It came shaving sharp and is a treat to use and admire. It's the kind of tool you pass down to your children.

It comes with an exqusite leather sheath and a book on how to use an axe called The Axe Book.

Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe

The Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 1, 2016 at Appalachian Outdoors.

If you're looking for a new axe/hatchet, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review