Gregory Alpinisto 50

The Alpinisto 50 replaced the Gregory Alpinisto.

small medium large
Weight 4 lb 8 oz 4 lb 11 oz 4 lb 14 oz

The Gregory Alpinista is touted as a climbing/scrambling…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (A retail store)

Summary

The Gregory Alpinista is touted as a climbing/scrambling pack and it does its job well. It has a cutout in the lid to accommodate a helmeted head looking up, a crampon pouch built onto the front, ski/snowshoe slots, secure yet easy access to your ice axe, and a nifty full-length side zipper that allows one to gain access to the pack's interior by swinging it onto the hip. A great pack, lightweight, sturdy, and comfortable.

Pros

• Ice axe system
  • Reflective materials built into the pack
  • Side zipper

Cons

• Zipper on side is not waterproof.

I am 5'8", 155 pounds and purchased the medium size. It fits like a glove and is very comfortable.

I first used it on a snow scramble up Bare Mountain in the Cascades and was impressed with how functional and comfortable it was. A huge lid pocket meant I cold keep not only snacks but quite a bit of gear at ready access. The side zip meant I did not have to drop the pack to get something out.

A well-designed helmet cutout allowed me to look up at the slope I was climbing without my helmet being knocked over my eyes. The gold color and reflective material meant my partner was able to follow me through the forest in the dark without difficulty. Well placed compression straps mean you can easily secure varying sized loads. I have also used them to secure my snowshoes.

My only concern is the zipper: it is not waterproof; it seems to be stressed easily; and the top of the zipper is where your hydration hose comes out, making a spot available for water to go in.

Still, this is another great pack from Gregory  (I also own a Z45 and Baltoro 65). This will be my go-to pack this winter.