Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT

I have had many tents over the years and all of them…

Design: 4 season tunnel
Ease of Setup: easy, easy!
Weight: 8.5 lbs

I have had many tents over the years and all of them work fine until the proverbial #$&% hits the fan and then you get to see how well your tent works. I am new to this tunnel style of design and although I may find myself buying a smaller Hilleberg for other purposes I am very impressed with this Nammatj 3GT.

Stake down one end, stick in 3 poles, pull it taught and stake the other end. That’s all there is to it! In rain you jump into it’s huge vestibule with all your wet gear on, strip down and jump into a dry sleeping area!

Putting the tent up in the wind is a relative dream as well. You’ve staked one end down so it’s not going to fly away. The fly is all part of the tent design so you don’t have to chase it around in the wind and if you bought a footprint for this tent, it fits! It fits well! A couple minutes and this condo is set up! A recent trip into La Guajira Desert in northern Colombia proved the tent’s ability to deal with strong wind. Threatening to push my dualsport motorcycle over the tent held strong.

I bought the green color and it blends in well with the surroundings for those times that an adventure traveler might need to "poach a camping spot".

With all your gear in the large vestibule area you could sleep 3 in this tent but like most tents, I’m sure that it would be a little tight. Palatial for 2 however. I have yet to use this tent in the winter but I am looking forward to digging out a nice kitchen area and having a great base camp.

Ok, sure these are probably one of the most expensive tents on the market today but it is evident that you get what you pay for. This is a very well made tent. Get soaked or have your tent flatten out from a bad storm and you’ll agree that it is worth the extra money. If there was a down side it might be that it is so long and site selection may be tough at times but that said it is a great shelter from the elements!

Without reservation I can say that these are great tents.

I tried sooooo many winter shelters... Single wall,…

Design: Tunnel tent
Ease of Setup: EASY
Weight: 8.5 pounds
Price Paid: ---

I tried sooooo many winter shelters... Single wall, dome of all kinds, tarps, bivys, igloo, snow cave, name it. The Nammatj 3 GT is by far the best tent I've tried.

It is more than appropriated for winter expedition! For two persons, the Nammatj 3 GT is great! 8.5 pounds to share and A LOT of internal space. The vestibule is a god's gift in bad weather! I did McKinley with it and my partner and I did put our two 100liters inside and still had room to cook and be comfortably sit in the tent with our feet in the 1 foot deep hole in the entrance!

The fabric is ultralight and incredibly resistant. Of course, it is a tunnel tent so you have to anchor it very well but I can tell you that once it is well anchored, it won't fail!

The setup of this tent is a real joke! Three equal length poles that go in well-designed and tough sleeves. At first I tought that all the small anchoring ropes would get jammed in the setup process but it's not the case. No more fly to put on while it's snowing, both internal tent and fly are set up at the same time.

The only drawback would be rear of the tent. In heavy snowfall, the snow packs there but if the fly is tight, it won't affect the inner tent.

Overall, great constuction, great design and great material makes it a great product!! Great isn't it?!

The tent is generally very high quality. Ropes, zippers…

Price Paid: about 860 euro

Summary

The tent is generally very high quality. Ropes, zippers and fabric are very reliable. The tent is spacious.

Pros

• Quality feeling
  • Spacious
  • If red, easy to find ;)

Cons

• Gummy cords holding inner tent becomes stretched after a period of use
  • No lightweight tent

The tent is generally very high quality. Ropes, zippers and fabric are very reliable. Hillberg also has great service. Simply send in your tent and get damage fixed.

The tent is spacious. Sleeping three adult males, you have plenty of room for a little gasket inside the inner tent. Nor is it any trouble to sleep two adults and two children.

IMGP0091.jpg