Kelty PK 50

unisex S/M M/L
Weight 3 lb 2 oz / 1.4 kg 3 lb 3 oz / 1.5 kg
Volume 3050 cu in / 50 L 3175 cu in / 52 L
Length 26 in / 66 cm 28 in / 71 cm
Width 12 in / 30 cm (S/M); 12 in / 30 cm (M/L)
Depth 10 in / 25 cm 10 in / 25 cm
Torso Fit Range 14.5-18.5 in / 37-47 cm 17.5-21 in / 44-53 cm
Waist Belt Fit Range 30-48 in / 76-121 cm 32-54 in / 81-137 cm

The Kelty PK 50 is a near perfect backpack for someone…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by Kelty for testing and review)

Summary

The Kelty PK 50 is a near perfect backpack for someone new to backpacking who is looking for one versatile, all-round pack. The ability to strip the extra 15L storage, and weight, gives you a functional day pack, while the 50L capacity is perfect for 3-season use. Highlights of the pack are the hipbelt pockets, the weight carrying comfort and the cost. Room for improvement? Small pocket storage in the day pack mode would be nice.

Pros

• Cost
  • Durability
  • Versatility
  • Hipbelt
  • Backpanel

Cons

• No small pocket when the 15L pocket is removed
  • Clips to open main pocket are hidden behind the wings

Manufactor's Specs: http://www.kelty.com/p-770-pk-50.aspx

Reinforcement Fabric:

100D Robic Dobby

ftjr.jpg

PA120378.jpg

Truthfully I was a little skeptical about how this pack would perform before I received it, the whole marketing of it, and the Trail Logic collection, seemed a little gimmicky to me. Turns out this pack is near perfect...although you wouldn't know the huge upside to this pack by watching the marketing videos. First, let me delve into a rant before it bogs down an otherwise glowing review.

p.jpg

Claims... (from Kelty's website)

"Roll-top closures enhance compression and cut weight..."

A rolltop closure is best utilized on a dry bag to keep water and moisture out. The missing part here, a water resistant fabric. The numerous rolltop closures don't enhance any compression noticeably, and the weight savings is negligible. I've also seen the claims to not having to worry about zippers breaking in the backcountry. I'd be as concerned about the plastic buckles breaking, although neither are a high likelihood.

"...pack has a compartmentalized design to optimize organizing and accessing your gear while evenly distributing weight."

If you aren't using the entire Trail Logic collection (pack, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, tent) then packing your bag as they intended can be about as awkward and backwards as it gets. My one person tent (Hilleberg Unna), let alone my two-person tent (Sierra Designs Flash 2), in the front mesh pocket pushes the weight too far from my back. Both are also the single heaviest item I carry and conventional wisdom would tell you to have that closest to your back.

That said, do some reading on how to correctly pack a backpack/ properly distribute the weight and this thing carries with comfort comparable with top of the line, much more expensive packs.

770_8_.jpg
In Kelty's mind this is how well the stretch pocket fits the tent.

PA120360.jpg
This is how it looks in reality (1-person tent).

PA120361.jpg
And two-person tent. Keep in mind that is without the 15L pocket even on yet. Packed that way the weight is pushed way to far off your back.

With that out of the way lets talk about the incredible value you are getting out of a bag with a minimal price tag...

Versatility

I wish this pack was available when I first got into hiking. I want to call it a "Jack of all Trades, Master of None", but that has a negative connotation to it. What I mean by that is that it does so many things so very well, no it's not a highly specialized piece of kit — not UL, not bombproof, peakbagger or weeklonger, but it can perform those all those tasks admirably. With the removable 15L pocket you are essentially getting two backpacks— a 50L for backpacking, and a 35L daypack. For $200 that's a steal!

PA120366.jpg

50L—perfect for 3-season hiking.

PA120364.jpg

g.jpg
15L pocket removed—daypack! Magic.

Whaaaat? This pack even does family duty? You can get creative with the stretch pockets.

Hip Belt

One of, if not the most, comfortable hip belts I've ever worn. My other favourite is the Arc'teryx Arrakis hip belt but then you're upwards of $500 for that. The thin, yet supportive belt wraps the hips like a second skin and goes un-noticed until you need something from the geniusly designed hipbelt pockets. They best way I can describe them is like an envelope made of an elastic mesh. They sit completely flat and out of they way when there is nothing in them, then expand to swallow a couple cliff bars, camera or GPS with ease.

My only issue with these is that they are very far forward, and while that makes them really easy to access while on the go, it can also interfere with your arms while walking if there's something bulky in there.

PA120368.jpg

PA120371.jpg

PA120406.jpg
Pockets sit flat and out of the way when not in use.

Comfort

With a single aluminum stay, a well designed lumber pad, and an airy backpanel this thing is a dream to carry. The heaviest load I've carried is 37lbs and I chuckled as I hiked, impressed once again with this pack. The hipbelt I already raved about doesn't slip at all and the green mesh you see is raised slightly from the rest of the backpanel allowing for some airflow.

My constructive criticism here is that the shoulder straps could widen a little more as I've found they rub slightly under my arms, although I do have a wide chest.

PA120379.jpg

PA120380.jpg

Rain Cover

The fact that it's included is another $20 saved compared to most other companies' packs, besides that, it's well designed too. It's hidden at the base of the pack in its own sleeve. Two things I like here:

1. It's attached, but removable. The majority of the time I forget to pack my cover until it's too late. With this it is always there unless you want to tempt the rain goods and save the weight!
  2. Adds a level of protection to the contents of the pack. I've set it down unknowingly in a shallow puddle without any water seeping through.

PA120383.jpg

Oooh what's this secret pocket?

PA120385.jpg
Insert music of clown pulling out never ending scarf.

PA120386.jpg
Buckle to remove the rain cover.

PA120387.jpg
Ta Da.

Whoops, didn't mean to put it in that puddle!

Durability

I've tried to make this pack fail, I really have. I've thrown it down rocky slopes, bushwhacked through areas with no openings, strapped on microspikes and taken it spelunking. All things it wasn't really designed to do and yet it's come out unscathed. Pack-1, Jake-0.

The back of the pack is very clean, not much to snag or rip and although the stretch pockets would be perceived to be the weak points, they've exceeded my expectations for durability.

Me, hiking to the top of this hill. Why?...

To throw the pack down it.

PA140420.jpg
Tight squeeze.

PB300439.jpg
Packs love spikey things right?

PA120358.jpg
Crashed through like a bull in a china shop.

ju.jpg
Extent of the damage to this pack, nothing but surface dirt so far.

Conclusion

Best value-to-cost ratio I think I've ever seen in a backpack. If you're on a budget and looking for one pack to do it all, I think this is it.

Notes to Kelty to improve an already fantastic product: add a small pocket for when the 15L pouch is removed, ditch the whole marketing scheme and let this great pack stand up on its own merits.

PA120391.jpg

Tester/ Conditions

I am a six foot male, 165 lbs, 19.5 inch torso and I got the size medium/large. I've had the chance to use this pack extensively over an almost 4 month period. It did everything for me from family pumpkin picking to backpacking. Weights varied from 12 to 37lbs, temperatures from 25 to -12 celcius. I'd like to thank both Trailspace and Kelty for allowing me the opportunity to test this pack. If you have any questions or would like further pics of the product I'd be happy to answer them.

trouthunter MODERATOR

Nice looking set up there!

Great review. Interesting concept.

Great review of an interesting concept, Jake. Well done!

Seth Levy TRAILSPACE STAFF

Nice review Jake!

Patman

Well done as always Jake, I enjoyed this review.

Jake W

Thanks guys, I agree with you thats its an interesting concept that's not fully executed properly. Awesome pack none the less. Pat- may have "borrowed" an idea of addressing the manfactors claims from someones hydration pack review ;) Loved how that review was layed out.

mangus7175

This is how you're supposed to review a product! Thanks for all the details...great review.

jboothmtnbkr

Great review! A lot of really good information.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Great job, Jake! I enjoyed reading the review. You did a great job illustrating all of the pack's features.

PDub

Wow, that's an impressive review. I wish more reviewers could be this comprehensive.

hurricaine

Great review! Nice pumpkin :)

Jake W

Thanks all!

hurricaine

You're welcome! I look forward to reading your new reviews!

Lightweight, 50 ltr or converts to a 35 ltr backpack.

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

Lightweight, 50 ltr or converts to a 35 ltr backpack. Compartmental design with built-in rain cover.

Pros

• Weight — light — just over 3 lbs
  • Fits more than you think with compartments 50 ltr backpack
  • Converts to a 35 ltr pack
  • Built-in rain cover

Cons

• Takes a few repacking to get the gear into it the first time
  • Compartments are custom made for Kelty matching Gear (bag and tent)
  • Hydration pocket is a little small

At first I was unsure if I could fit all my gear into the pack. After playing around with moving gear to different compartments I found I had room left over for my over night into the desert (include filled two hydration bags).

Look carefully for the compartments as you will not find them by the zippers... there are no zippers (cutting weight) — they all have similar closing devises as you would find in a waterproof bags with the fold over and clip. Side pocks are gear to fit poles for the tent in, and other longer gear.

Many of the pockets are stretch material so they expand and can be stuffed very full. There is small compartment that fits first aid kit and my personal hygiene kit, head light, and other small items. Belt had small pockets for GPS or phone.

The cool thing about the pack is the outside pocket (15 ltr) can be removed and by storing light items (clothing and tent gear) it can quick be removed and you then have a 35 ltr pack ready for a hike out of camp. It has a rain cover built in (I have not tested it yet) but it is not even noticeable. Everything and everywhere this pack has compression straps with act as part of the closing system to tighten the load firmly.

So far the pack has been easy to balance weight and very comfortable. Nothing rubs me in the wrong places.

If your looking for a pack that carries a lot of gear, light and it pretty amazing design you should go check out the Kelty PK50. Just give yourself time to play with packing it as you have to learn where your gear goes best.

This is a newpProduct on the market and so time will tell on the craftsmanship and construction but my examination of the pack, it appears well made and will last.

Maybe because this is the first real pack I've owned…

Summary

Maybe because this is the first real pack I've owned I love it. I forgot I was wearing it! Zero load on my shoulders and tons of room.

Pros

• Roomy
  • Very organized
  • Attached pack shell

Cons

• None

I just received this pack and took it for a test drive along with my new Salomon Quest Gtx 4D boots. I cannot give a detailed review yet. Just an initial impression.

First off I have never owned a "real" pack before. I've hiked in the Marines with Alice packs and Mollie packs and have used them for hiking since leaving the military. I thought they were great. I could carry tons of weight long distance with no problems. I also owned an Ascent 3500 pack, but it fell right apart.

Well, I didn't know what I was missing. I always carried weight with my shoulders. With this pack it's all in my hips. Talk about an eye opener! I could care less about weight. I'm like a U haul. But to carry that weight comfortably is just awesome. This thing hugs my back like it's part of me. I can fit all of my gear and food with no problems. It cinches down nicely too.

The colors aren't my favorite, but who cares? I know that a lot of experienced hikers might think this is a gimmick but it isn't. Try it out. I don't have the experience with ULA or Osprey to compare though. I can't imagine a more usefull and comfortable pack. I look forward to getting the TN2 now.

Manufacturer's Description refers to the unisex version

The hub of our TraiLogic collection, this pack has a compartmentalized design to optimize organizing and accessing your gear while evenly distributing weight. The front pocket detaches so you can bring it into your tent or leave it behind if you want to pack fast and light. Roll-top closures enhance compression and cut weight so that you can take a load off your back and your mind. There's no better way to enjoy the rewards of your journey.

Visit Kelty's Unisex PK 50 page.

The hub of Kelty's TraiLogic collection, the PK 50 Backpack has a compartmentalized design to optimize organizing and accessing your gear while evenly distributing weight. The front pocket detaches so you can bring it into your tent or leave it behind if you want to pack fast and light. Roll-top closures enhance compression and cut weight so that you can take a load off your back and your mind. There's no better way to enjoy the rewards of your journey.

- CampSaver.com refers to the unisex version

The hub of the TraiLogic Collection, the Kelty PK 50 has a compartmentalized design to easily organize and access your gear while evenly distributing weight.

- REI refers to the unisex version

The Kelty PK 50 Backpack has an advanced, compartmentalized design that optimizes organization and accessibility for extremely convenient weekend backpacking or ice climbing trips. This design includes a front pocket with a variety of compartments that hold specific items like your clothes, tent, kitchenware, and sleeping bag so you can find what you need quickly instead of searching through the entire compartment for just a fork. You can detach this front pocket in order to convert the pack's capacity from 50 liters to 35 liters if you're going hiking or ice climbing for a day. The detachable front pocket also lets you take only the essentials into your tent instead of the entire backpack. This design is so specific that it also distributes your load's weight evenly for all-day carrying comfort. Kelty kept the PK 50's weight as low as possible with its Lightbeam Lite fixed suspension system that includes a single aluminum stay, a padded hip-belt, and an HDPE framesheet for light support. A roll-top opening allows you to compress the backpack so your gear doesn't bounce around while you're hiking, and side wings help you compress the entire backpack for even more security. Kelty made this pack out of a durable nylon with abrasion-resistant reinforcements for excellent longevity. The PK 50 also features an integrated pull-out rain cover to keep your gear dry, a hydration sleeve for a reservoir, pockets on the compression wings, stretch mesh pockets on the belt, water bottle pockets, an ice-axe loop, a key fob, and a stretch mesh pocket on the detachable front pocket.

- Backcountry.com refers to the unisex version

Free Shipping. Kelty PK 50 Pack FEATURES of the Kelty PK 50 Pack Top loading Roll-Top opening Roll Closure Sleeping Bag compartment Front Clothing compartment Pack easily converts from 50 to 35 liter Top Pocket Compression Wings Wing Pockets Stretch Mesh Belt Pockets Stretch Mesh Water bottle Pockets Stretch Mesh front Pocket Ice-axe loop Key fob Integrated pull-out raincover Hydration compatible SPECIFICATIONS of the Kelty PK 50 Pack Body Fabric: 200D Nylon Reinforcement Fabric: 100D Robic Dobby Suspension: Lightbeam Lite Fixed Suspension system SPECIFICATIONS for S/M Torso Fit Range: 14.5 - 18.5in. / 37 - 47 cm Volume: 3050 cubic inches / 50 liter Weight: 3 lbs 2 oz / 1.4 kg Dimension: 26 x 12 x 10in. / 66 x 30 x 25 cm SPECIFICATIONS for M/L Torso Fit Range: 17.5 - 21in. / 44 - 53 cm Volume: 3175 cubic inches / 52 liter Weight: 3 lbs 3 oz / 1.5 kg Dimension: 28 x 12 x 10in. / 71 x 30 x 25 cm

- Moosejaw refers to the unisex version