Lowa Renegade GTX Mid

Lightweight, comfortable from the very first try,…

Summary

Lightweight, comfortable from the very first try, and no blisters. These are the key ingredients to commend this boot. The mid-high design provides support for weak or compromised ankles, there's plenty of room in the toe box, and the lightweight material dries quickly after river crossings.

The sturdy sole accommodates additional back-weight from day packs, backpacks, or recalcitrant pets reluctant to take another step. Great for non-technical climbing and long hikes.

Pros

• Weight
  • Ankle support
  • Fit
  • Do not need to be broken in.

Cons

• Expensive (more than $200)
  • Have noticed some chafing on ankle when new.

The Lowa Renegade GTX mid hiking boot is a comfortable, excellent fitting boot for someone who needs a roomier toe-box and ankle support. No break-in required, although one may experience a little chafing at the ankles when new.

The boot is designed to keep feet dry and it succeeds; lightweight material keeps feet relatively comfortable in warmer temperatures, although Alaska's "warmer" temperatures are generally cooler than most.

Long lasting; wore the first pair for more than 10 years and only recently noticed them beginning to fray after having worn them to backpack extensively throughout England, the Chugach Mountains in Southcentral Alaska, and the trails and mountains of Southeast Alaska with nary a blister.

Welcome to Trailspace, Lynda. Thanks for the review of these boots. It sounds like they have held up well to your many adventures. I'd love to see some pictures of your pair, if you're willing to add them to your review. Thanks!

Nice first review, Lynda. Thanks for sharing.

DON'T BUY THESE BOOTS. Comfortable, yes. For the year…

Price Paid: $250 with shipping

Summary

DON'T BUY THESE BOOTS. Comfortable, yes. For the year they last. Then they fall apart at the seams. Have had two pairs. $500 down the drain. Don't waste your money.

Pros

• Comfortable, while they last.

Cons

• Fall apart at seams within a year and a half
  • Sole peels off
  • Not waterproof; more like water-absorbent, and take FOREVER to dry out

I've had two pairs of these. Love how comfy they are, love the grippy soles.

But they fall apart at the seams way too fast, right after warranty runs out.

After first pair did so, was advised by a gear expert to get $$$ insoles; did so, same thing happened with second pair.

I'm a light user, walk maybe 8-10 miles a week, and that's walking, not vigorous hiking. Otherwise wear the boots as everyday around the house/running errands footgear.

Unbelievably shoddy. Why doesn't Lowa fix these problems???

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Really. It's like a bad love affair—you fall in love as soon as you put them on the first time, the relationship runs along happily for a short while, and then it goes all to hell.

My husband bought me these boots as a birthday gift…

My husband bought me these boots as a birthday gift as I needed new hiking boots for our trips to Pocono Lake. We go hiking in the Pocono mountains often and love to collect pine cones, leaves and twigs.

I am so happy with the quality of these fabulous women's Renegade GTX boots. My feet are sensitive so I need a comfortable boot where my feet feel good. These boots are not only durable but they are soft, stylish, fashionable and soft at this same time.

My feet tend to get very sweaty when I'm hiking but these boots allow my feet to breath without getting that stinky sweaty feeling.

I've had several pairs of hiking boots in my lifetime and I have to say these boots are fabulous and worth the price. I highly recommend these boots to anyone who is an avid hiker like myself. Thank you!

rated 3.00 of 5 stars All Renegade GTX Mid versions

In addition to the 3 women's reviews above, there are 19 reviews for other versions of the Renegade GTX Mid. Read all reviews »