Marmot Limelight 3P

Floor Area 42.6 sq ft / 4.0 sq m
Tent Floor Material 70d 100% Nylon PU 3000 mm W/R, F/R
Tent Canopy Material 68d 100% Polyester Ripstop, F/R
Tent Fly Material 68d 100% Polyester Ripstop 1800 mm, W/R, F/R

This is a solid, waterproof, dependable shelter that…

Summary

This is a solid, waterproof, dependable shelter that is incredibly easy to setup. The 3P is good for 2 people who want a some extra room in which to stretch out. The vestibules are enormous, almost too big. This tent is luxurious for a couple who bring a good deal of gear.

Pros

• Simply designed
  • Waterproof
  • Windows
  • Easy to set up
  • Footprint + gear loft included
  • Plenty of floorspace (for 2)

Cons

• 3P would be tight for 3 people
  • No vents
  • On the heavy side for backpacking
  • Not much headroom, but enough

7437607032_4c8ba811ae_c.jpg

I had tried a couple of higher-end tents but found that the savings in weight did not justify a more difficult setup and tighter living space. With the Limelight 3P we were looking for a happy medium between floor space, weight, and cost.

Definitely wanted 2 doors/vestibules, which we've come to appreciate in the wee hours of the forest night when one or the other needs to slip out for a tinkle or spray. The floor space is great for two people, but would be cramped for three. The headroom in the tent is a little lacking compared to more expensive tents with complicated pole structures, but the savings in weight and time to setup is worth it.

The tent is extremely easy to set up. Footprint and gear loft are included, which is a very nice feature.  With the dome design, the shelter is very stable in wind. The fly is made of polyester, not nylon, which means that it does not sag with moisture. Polyester is slightly heavier than nylon, and marginally more vulnerable to laceration, but we've had no trouble. On the contrary, it's nice to be able to pitch the tent taut and have it remain taut in the morning. The little things like this are worth the weight.

The seam-taping is quality, and shows no signs of wear after a couple of years' use. We've had zero rain enter the tent. Once we camped out on hard earth when it rained overnight, and some of the rain had splashed underneath the rainfly and misted the mesh of the tent, but no water entered the tent body itself.  The floor and rainfly are solidly waterproof.

Lack of ventilation is almost an issue, as with any tent if the conditions are just right (or wrong), but is somewhat impressive for a tent with no vents at all. Condensation has never been much of a problem, though, because any condensation drips cleanly down to the ground off of the rainfly. Due to the non-sagging polyester fly, which remains taut, you don't have to worry about contact with the tent body, or drips coming in from above.

The tent is not the lightest out there and does not pack small, and may be better suited for car camping, but we enjoy a more luxurious shelter and don't mind the extra weight and space because we know when we get to camp we'll have not only a dependable sleeping chamber, but also a reasonably-sized habitat in which to sit out a rainstorm or play some cards. It has held up very well after a couple years' normal use.

After 25 years I finally retired my Moss and searched…

Summary

After 25 years I finally retired my Moss and searched for a new tent. I selected the Marmot Limelight 3P after reading previous reviews and examining the tent the in the local REI store. After several uses I can say that I made a great choice. Everything I wanted in a 3-season tent.

Pros

• Easy to set up
  • Extremely waterproof
  • Handles extreme wind well
  • Dual doors and vestible are nice

Cons

• Lack of directions for initial setup
  • Stakes bend easily

I was looking for a tent to replace my 25-year-old Moss Olympic.  It had served me well but it was time to move on. I was looking for a roomy 2-person tent that would be used for car, bike and kayak camping. It needed to be waterproof in extreme rain conditions, have the ability to withstand heavy winds and be easy to set up. I also wanted a free standing tent.

I chose the Marmot Limelight 3 after viewing it at the local REI store then following up with reviews. Quality is very good this price point and the layout is very well thought out.  Doors and vestibules on both sides are very nice when two people are involved.  When by myself the one side is a great place to store gear while using the other side to exit and enter.

I spent three days where it rained steady with several hard downpours. I stayed completely dry. What I liked was that even when leaving the tent water that was on the tent did not drip in when the fly was opened.

Awesome tent at a good price, and has the quality…

Summary

Awesome tent at a good price, and has the quality you should expect from Marmot.

Pros

• Quality
  • Features
  • Ease of setup

Cons

• Packed ize

My wife and I (and dog) used this tent for only one year.  It is fantastic, and the main reason for this is the ease of setup. Two poles, that bungie themselves together, plus one small pole for the rain fly. We had the version prior to the pole color coding, so for those with the newest version, setup is even easier as the poles match the color of the clips in which they go. It comes with the rainfly, floor, very light stakes, guy lines, mesh gear hammock.

We had adequate room fitting the 3 of us into the tent, btw our dog is about 60lbs and likes to sprawl out when he sleeps.  There's not really any room for packs unless you use them as a pillow or under your legs. When looking at tents, at least for car camping, I always like to size up a person to make room for gear and amenities so everyone is comfortable. Backpacking is another story.

Packability, well if you split the components up or at least account for multiple people on a backpacking trip, you could get away with using this tent. In the bag it comes with, it's quite tall, so I'd split it up between people or at least make it more packable in one persons pack.  Again, for car camping, no big deal. The weight isn't too bad either, when you jump up to the 4P, that is just too much to carry when there's much lighter tents on the market purpose built for backpacking.

The tent held up well in the rain and space available in the vestibule areas is great for shoes, boots, and packs and will keep them dry. Taped seams and plenty of ventilation make for a pleasant experience when the weather isn't.

I would definitely recommend this product, but honestly we did end up selling it.  But only to get the larger Limelight 4p to make room for our growing pup.

Great for a two-person backpacking tent. Packs small…

Price Paid: apx $175

Summary

Great for a two-person backpacking tent. Packs small enough for me. A very quick and easy setup/tear down.

Pros

• Tent clips up to the polls
  • Outside rain tarp space for gear
  • Wind/rain resistant

Cons

• Extra seam sealing used on floor
  • Stakes are lightweight, but weak

Going with the three-person is great for two people. Lightweight for backpacking, with great space inside and outside when rain tarp is on. It has enough room to store two packs plus gear under rain tarp to keep out of the elements.

Reflective writing and tie lines help during the night. Great air flow with trap on. Quick setup with clips that attach the tent up to the polls. This feature is great for windy days. You can go from a flat tent to upright and attached in seconds.

Great tent for the money — great for motorcycle…

Summary

Great tent for the money — great for motorcycle camping.

Pros

• Easy to setup
  • Packs small
  • Resists very well to rain and wet ground

Cons

• Wind flows into it rather easily — not a cold weather tent
  • Stakes are a joke

I bought this tent before a 17000km motorcycle road trip. I used it for about 10 nights and never more than one night in the same camping spot.

The tent is very easy and quick  to set up even in the dark. The poles are of good quality and all the attachment points are solid. Stakes are cheap and don't do well in anything but grassy grounds.

I have camped out in a strong rainstorm, the one that washed out roads in Colorado in September 2013. Water was falling in buckets and the camping spot has more water flowing thru in, around and under the tent, but the rain never came in.

Ventilation is excellent, maybe too good. On warm/hot nights it is a peach, but in very cold weather it flows a little too well.

Room is good enough for two and a little bit of equipment. It has a net hanging from the center where you can leave your phone and wallet etc.

It packs fairly small and light but the poles a just a little bit too long to put in my Givi E41 motorcycle cases. It's pretty durable, nothing has broken on it during my trip.

Spacious, sturdy, and relatively light for 2 people…

Summary

Spacious, sturdy, and relatively light for 2 people + gear.

Pros

• Reputable brand
  • 2 spacious vestibules

Cons

• Not the lightest of backpacking tents

This tent is easy enough to set up solo but goes up with ease if there's a second person setting it up. The seams are well constructed, it stuffs down to a reasonable size and weight for backpacking or (my preference) a bicycle tour, and features two doors and two spacious vestibules. I could cram a third person inside it if necessary, but it's really most comfortable for 2 adults with room for gear and extra clothes around the edges or in the vestibules.

I'm 6'2" and have been in some tents that allow me to stand up and others that I'm constantly bumping into while exiting, entering, or moving around. This tent gives me adequate room for changing clothes while lying down, reading, and sleeping with a bit of space on all sides.

I like that the 4 built-in pockets are snug with the tent body rather than dangling and causing stress points on the tent. The pockets aren't as big as most tent pockets I've encountered, but the 3-person Marmot Limelight I bought from Backcountry.com included a gear loft and a footprint (which is the same dennier nylon as the floor of the tent itself).

Little heavy for backpacking but no complaints from…

Summary

Little heavy for backpacking but no complaints from the wife or dog. Plenty of room and great escape from elements.

Pros

• Great gear from Marmot

Setup is easy under five minutes. Ventilation is great in the summer and keep the wet out. Room for the wife, dog and our gear. Bulky to pack up, but we split the weight.

This is my 3rd Marmot tent in 15 years.  I wouldn't buy another brand.

Took this out for several hikes, the green variety.

Price Paid: SEK 2000 (ca. USD $280)

Took this out for several hikes, the green variety. It is all in all a great tent. Very easy to deploy and dismantle in minutes even during the toughest of windy subarctic conditions.

Waterproofness is excellent as the fly is made out of some kind of nylon. Tent spikes are wider than a pencil, rock hard, and easy to drive into almost any surface (short of solid rock...)

Since it is all in all a good product I could recommend I will mention the things that snubbed off the fifth star:

• Waterproofness from nylon sheet is great but is not breathable. Condensation on the inside of the fly is sometimes a little irritating.
  • The hub keeping the poles together broke for someone I know. Marmot quickly sent an envelope of not only one but three replacements, thumbs up. The tent will still work with this one broken but slightly less stable (you can use a rope or similar to bind them together if this is a problem.)
  • The tent's windbreaking ability isn't exactly excellent along the floor. A bit too ventilated and chilly at exposed locations.
  • According to my calibrated professional scale the weight is 3600 grams, almost 200 grams heavier than specified by Marmot. Still an okay weight for a 3-man tent, but misspecification is never good.
  • For three persons to be comfortable in this they must be quite slim.

Despite these gripes at sub $300 the tent is an excellent bargain and I would recommend it to anyone on a budget.

I've used the Marmot 3P for over a year now and it's…

I've used the Marmot 3P for over a year now and it's a great tent. It's comfortable for 2 large guys (6' and 225lbs each) and backpacks very well. The setup is super easy and like others have said is pretty waterproof. I've been in a few downpours up in the North of Saskatchewan.

Overall I give it 5 stars. However, the 3P rating doesn't really apply to me and the folks I hike with. I can get myself and one other in there comfortably. Not a problem with the tent, but simply how they rate the tents.  I'd totally buy this tent again if they offered a lightweight version.

Have used this tent the last year, and it's been great.

Have used this tent the last year, and it's been great. It replaced an old Eureka I've had for 20 years.

The weight is not bad split between two people and the size is just perfect for the two of us and our dog its just right. With 2 doors I don't have to crawl over my wife to get out in the middle of the night.

I love my Marmot 3. It is technically easy and quick…

Design: good trustable elegant
Ease of Setup: very easy and quick
Weight: very light considering double floor
Price Paid: competitive

I love my Marmot 3. It is technically easy and quick to set up or pack it away into the carrying back. All fittings are strong enough and one of the best in my Marmot is the double floor. It is excellent for trekking in Lapland. The last but not the least is that it is also good looking.

The only thing to criticize Marmot generally is the inside sleeping space. I would have bought Marmot 2 but there is not space enough for two big (100 kg) trecking "bears" with back sacks and different items for cool season trecking, so I bought Marmot 3 which is big enough and I really love it.

I have tested it already early summer 2009 in Lapland and late autumn in Gulf of Finland archipelago.

Have owned the Limelight 3P for about a year; we are…

Price Paid: n.a.

Have owned the Limelight 3P for about a year; we are very happy with it. Lots of room, especially with 2 folks, but not so big that it doesn't still feel cozy.

First tent I've had with 2 zip doors on opposite sides. This has proven useful. Decent amount of vestibule space as well.

I wouldn't backpack with this tent - too bulky and heavy. But it's a great car camping, or short walk in to site kind of tent. And most importantly, my girlfriend loves it! Good design elements overall.

This tent is a very good bargain, it comes with the…

Design: 3 person freestanding, with full fly
Ease of Setup: Very easy & quick
Weight: 6.6 lbs with 6 stakes, foot print, gear loft & bags

This tent is a very good bargain, it comes with the footprint, gear loft, 8 high quality hex stakes, full rain fly, two doors & two vestibules for about $100 less than comparable 3 person models I have seen.

It has very high workmanship,every thing fits together logically, is snug and easy to adjust and set up. The two main poles are clipped together and you just assemble them into a X and insert into the corner grommets. Then raise the body and clip to the poles. The rain fly has quick fasteners at the corners with tension adjustment. Peg it down in the corners and one peg each for the vestibules, and you're done.

Takes 2 minutes total from bagged to set up. I got it down to 6.6 lbs, (2.2lbs per camper) with all but two stakes, some extra rope,a pole repair section, and tensioners that are included but not needed. It can be fast packed the same way with the fly & footprint only, (if there are no bugs) at about 4 lbs total weight. The vestibules each have a small window. Nice!

Drawbacks, This is not a full mesh body so views out, are restricted by ripstop fabric, this is particularly annoying in the doors. Might be nice for some privacy without the fly on? Or make the tent stronger long term? The doors zip down, not to the side.

The door & vestibule tie backs are a little clumsy, (I prefer them to be bungies not rope.) Only one side of the vestibule has tie backs, but I found you can loop the stake out to a corner peg to keep it out of the way.

Overall nice tent.

Well the Limelight is actually a 3.5 season tent and…

Design: 3.5 season
Ease of Setup: super super easy, couldnt imagine easier
Weight: 6 and change

Well the Limelight is actually a 3.5 season tent and just went on a 3 day hike in the White Mountains (Liberty, Haystack, Lafeyette, and Lincoln) and it was great. I mean it is a 3 person tent that weighs under 7 pounds. With that said it is kinda big, but it's a 3-person tent. They all are bigger but we still found space for it with a little effort.

It rained one night and we didn't get a drop of water inside, and it was very very breathable. We had 2 Sierra Designs 15 degree sleeping bags zipped together and it was like 50 degrees at night so we were very hot and it was not stuffy at all.

The only thing I would have liked a little more was if the color was a little toned down. Orange is tough for stealth camping.

With that said it was great, more than enough room for 2 people and gear inside. I would guess good room for 3 with gear under the canopy. Plus with the footprint, which is included, you can cut weight by leaving tent at home and bringing the foot print and poles. Let me know if any questions.