Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid

Used the Merrell Moab (both mid and reg) and the usual…

Summary

Used the Merrell Moab (both mid and reg) and the usual result is 1,800 miles out of each pair. Used these while hiking the AT, PCT, CDT, and the ECT. Even ran a 101.8 mile race with them and had no blisters.

Pros

• Durability
  • Comfort

Cons

• After 1,800 miles, when they start to die, they die fast.
  • Insoles are pitiful. Immediately must install something more substantial.

I use the Merrell Moab for hiking, biking, and a clean pair for everyday use. If in the mountains and/or snow for extended amount of time I like the mid cut  and use the low cut for gentler terrain.

Used the waterproof material once and found it takes longer to dry out plus the extra price isn't cost effective. I find the shoe gets equally wet whether gore-tex or not. On any pair it seems the shoe strings don't like to remain tied for very long.

Also, when I first notice the shoe is deteriorating, it is time to start looking for a new pair because they die fast, but that is usually around the 1,800 mile mark. I love my Merrells!

G00SE

Thanks for supporting my premise that these are a decent shoe at a great price. I had 2 salesmen at REI the other day telling me they were merely "entry level" cheap-o's. When I told them how much mileage I get out of them, they didn't believe me.

Wolfman (Wolfgang Greystoke)

Goose, HornRim, and Lake Land; Do you think that one pair would last 1200 miles for a thru hike. Trails, rock, dirt roads, some paved roads, and bush whacking? This it the boot I am thinking about getting.

G00SE

Wolfman, this reviewer stated he did the AT using 2 pairs. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/merrell/moab-ventilator-mid/review/26433/ When are you heading onto the AT?

300winmag

I bought this boot in GTX after a paior of Danner Lioghts split in the sole along the bend. I replaced the insole with a heat mouldable insole and now have finally found THE best light boot in decades.

300winmag

I have this boot ing GTX. AFter a pair of Danner Lights split at the bend of teh sole in one boot I got the Merrills. Best light boot I've EVER used. I replaced teh insole with a heat-mouldable insole and now have great , no-blister comfort.

300winmag

Great summer hiking shoe, lightweight and instantly…

Summary

Great summer hiking shoe, lightweight and instantly comfortable. Affordable!! I have a narrow heel and it fits me well.

Pros

• Affordable

The shoe fits my narrow heel well. I sometimes have a problem finding shoes that fit me. I feel like when I lace it all the way up it gives me more than enough ankle support for any activity that I want to partake in. The boot is ultra comfortable I never felt like I had to break it in.

I have had some ankle injuries in the past and I always feel confident in this boot. It is not designed to be water resistant, I haven't had it in a wet situation yet. But I have a feeling it will dry faster than most because of the mesh.

I have great traction on both wet and dry surfaces. This boot has great ventilation; my foot stays cool throughout the day. I can actually feel a breeze..if there is one.

BUY a whole size bigger.

UPPER/LINING
• Dura leather and mesh upper
• Bellows tongue keeps debris out
• Synthetic leather toe cap and heel counter
• Breathable mesh lining treated with Aegis Antimicrobial solution maintains foot comfort
• Ortholite Anatomical Footbed

• 5mm Sole lug depth
• Vibram Multi-Sport Sole/TC5+ Rubber
• Weight: 1 lb 8 ozs

G00SE

Trust me, they don't dry fast. Once they're wet, they stay wet for a long time.

There is no breaking in time with these hikers and…

Summary

There is no breaking in time with these hikers and they are great for wet or dry terrain. I have recommended these hikers to others because they are so comfortable.

Pros

• Wear well
  • Look good
  • Affordable.

Cons

• Laces come untied unless double-knotted.

I belong to an all ladies hiking group and we hike trails in the Ozarks. I hiked 6 mi. on the Buffalo River Trail in the Boston Mtns. and my new hikers performed flawlessly! My old Merrells wore out after 3 yrs. and I purchased a new pair at the Merrell Store in Foley, AL. while vacationing there.

My feet were comfortable with all the elevation changes, especially the rocky downhills and water crossings. I wear a 6.5 x-wide and purchased a size 7 and the hikers fit well when I first put them on. No breaking in. I have recommended these Merrells to other hikers and 4 in our group have these. We love them.

I would highly recommend these! Used only two pairs…

Summary

I would highly recommend these! Used only two pairs on my thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2012.

Pros

• Breathable
  • Extremely durable
  • Merrell has good customer service
  • Quick-drying
  • Comfortable right out of the box

I could not recommend these shoes enough. Let me explain.

I had no idea what to do for shoes while prepping for my Appalachian Trail thru-hike, and I spent a ton of time researching. I had a list of a dozen or so different brands, styles, sizes, etc.,  and I knew that I wanted a mid size because I thought it would be a good compromise between ankle support, weight and sturdiness. I came across these Merrells which retail right at $100, but I happened to find a good deal somewhere online for only $60. So I bought them. I think I tried them on maybe once at REI, but that was about it.

They came in the mail, and I was pleasantly surprised. Right out of the box they are extremely comfortable. That doesn’t tell you much until you start hiking for 8-12 hours a day in them though. So when that started, I was again pleasantly surprised. Normally you’ll have to purchase boots several weeks in advance, and then spend that time breaking them in, but honestly I didn’t do a bit of breaking these bad boys in.

They’re pretty breathable and so dry out fairly quick. As a side note, definitely do not get a Gore-Tex boot, because those will take days to dry out and will make your feet miserable.

These Merrells had another couple of awesome surprises. My first pair lasted for 1600 miles all the way until Massachusetts. In fact, they looked brand new all the way until I got to the awful state of Pennsylvania which pretty much shredded them. When I was in Virginia, a fellow hiker had told me about a deal that Merrell had specifically for AT thru-hikers, in which they would replace your boot for free one time only, and send it to you anywhere on the trail. Let me repeat. Fo’ free.

Mine were sent to Dalton, Massachusetts and my second pair lasted all the way to Katahdin. So I essentially spent $60 on two pairs of boots. I heard of people having to purchase 3-4 pairs of shoes, spending upwards of $300. These were extremely popular on the trail, and I saw dozens of other hikers with these exact same shoes.

I’m very happy with them, and combined with my Superfeet insoles, they made for some extremely happy feet.

Comfortable; okay for day hiking; inside ankle material…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Comfortable; okay for day hiking; inside ankle material not very durable.

• Goretex
  • Look nice

Cons

• Inside ankle/heel material not durable
  • Support only so, so.

I have had two pairs of the Merrell Moab Mids. They were my daily work boots (FS recreation program manager) and for weekend hiking. I typically tie the laces loose at the mid way point so that I can slip them on and off without tying and untying them (my Korean wife insists on the traditional oriental no shoes inside policy, :-) ).

I wore out the material on the heel/ankle rather quickly on the first pair. I was much more conscious of how I put on/off the second pair so that I would not prematurely wear out the second pair. However, the second pair is now torn apart in the same area.  Basically, the material for the inside ankle/heel area is not very durable.

I think they are comfortable for schlepping around town and for day hikes. I think they do not provide a lot of support and are overall a rather soft mid boot. They are warm enough for Oregon winter wear, albeit the Goretex liners eventually do not provide much protection from rain or wet snow.

For serious backpacking I have found the Salomon XA Comp 6 mid boots are much more supportive, surprisingly durable, also Goretex, fit my narrow feet better, and consequently have become my favorite replacing the Moabs as my backpacking boot.  Still, I continue to wear my broken down Merrell Moabs as my around town and my dog walking shoes.

These boots have done it all for me including taking…

Summary

These boots have done it all for me including taking me up to the top of Iztaccihuatl's glacier in Mexico (17,000+ feet).

Pros

• Gore-tex
  • Traction
  • All purpose

Cons

• Probably not great for EXTREME cold

I'll start by saying I don't necessarily always use products by the book and tend to make things work outside of what they're necessarily meant for. However, I've had these boots for 2 years now and they've really done it all for me!

The Goretex, which I had previously read "wears out," has been amazing and has always kept my feet dry even in creek crossings (I just wouldn't go trudging through water, but for a slip up here and there they've kept my socks dry!).

They're great for hot weather with their breathability, and I've also managed to use them quite successfully in cold weather as well. I'll note that their cold weather use has been limited to late fall in the U.S. Midwest, so maybe down to just below freezing at night... and an Iztaccihuatl trip in Mexico which does have a  permanent glacier and requires crampons, however the summit was not EXTREMELY cold either.

Excellent hiking boots for day hiking in dry climates,…

Summary

Excellent hiking boots for day hiking in dry climates, such as where I live in Wyoming. I don't get blisters, my feet stay cool thanks to the ventilation, and no sore spots. I highly recommend these for day hikes.

Pros

• Ventilation
  • Looks

These lightweight hikers fit my feet very well. They offer good arch support and the laces stay tied. I did not need to break them in. They felt great the first time I tried them on.

They're not the best at keeping out dirt, but I live in a windy, dry climate so the sand tends to creep in after a long day.  The boots support my feet and ankles very well, I feel stable on rocky terrain.

I've had these boots several years and they are very durable. I only use during the summer hiking season, but they've held up very well.

Don't buy these boots with the expectation of having…

Price Paid: don't recall

Summary

Don't buy these boots with the expectation of having completely dry feet.

Pros

• Cheap in price

Cons

• They are not waterproof as advertised

Although these boots were very comfortable, they are not waterproof. The seams that hold the boot together are done by machine and in the process, the waterproof "bootie" is punctured.

Save your cash, and get a boot that is not made in an Asian country.

I bought a pair of Moabs because the store didn't…

I bought a pair of Moabs because the store didn't have the Chameleons I wanted. As everyone else has correctly pointed out, they are very very comfortable!

As most mistakenly say, these shoes are Not true to size! You will most likely need a size bigger then you normally wear, especially if you get the Goretex.

As with the other 5 styles of Merells I own, durability is not a strong suit of the brand. The Vibram soles are indestructible. But the uppers separate from the sole and the inner lining turns to toilet paper quickly and the foam comes out.

If you want a pair of comfortable shoes to wear out to the coffee shop, these shoes are great. For anything resembling hard use, look elsewhere.

Out of the box on Monday, six miles on Tuesday. I…

Materials: Leather and mesh
Use: Hiking, camping, and motorcycle riding
Break-in Period: None
Weight: 2 pounds, 6 ounces

Out of the box on Monday, six miles on Tuesday.

I am a 64 year old kid who likes to hike, camp, and ride motorcycles. This winter I had to replace my summer boots and wanted a pair that would be both practical for all three activities and comfortable to wear all day long. You see, over the years I have put on about 60 extra pounds and have developed some kind of problem (heel spurs?) that make my size 14 feet hurt after being on them very long. Over the years I had discovered that some shoe/boot brands may feel comfortable in the store but can cause a lot of discomfort after brief use and that a few brands cause more discomfort than others. Therefore, I wanted to find a summer boot that would cause the least amount of discomfort.

I knew that I wanted a boot that was cool to wear in the hot summer months here in the deep south so I decided up front that boots with waterproof liners were out of the question. But I also knew that I would likely get caught in a few rainstorms on my motorcycle and wanted a pair that would dry quickly.

After a few weeks of reading boot reviews, I decided to buy a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid Hiking boots. They have side mesh panels that go down to the insole that reportedly allow water inside the boot to drain quickly and they reportedly dry very quickly after getting soaked. They also have a Vibram sole that provides secure traction on wet streets—this is good for motorcycle riders.

They arrived in the mail Monday afternoon and were surprisingly lightweight and comfortable. They felt like a pair of moccasins or sneakers. To break them in, I decided to wear them to work on Tuesday. After work, my feet still felt good so I decided to walk a short distance and my feet still felt good. So I continued the walk and completed a brisk six miles with no hint of a problem. These boots felt like a pair of running shoes and I think it is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

I bought these boots a year ago this November and…

Price Paid: £90

I bought these boots a year ago this November and I have been unsatisfied with their performance. Although the boot has been gore-tex proofed, I have had a major issue with leakage.

I used this boot as a camping boot and as a hiking boot in appropriate weather. The boot, as I have found with many Merrell boots, were very comfy and good ventilators. I was unhappy to find out that the upper front of the boot came away from the sole, reading previous comments on this boot this seems to be quite a common problem, design fault maybe?

Another issue I have with the boot is they always seemed to lose heat. This issue may be related to the fault of the upper front and sole. I have found that the boots had fairly good traction but overall I was disappointed because I have previously owned Merrell boot and shoes and they have been outstanding.

I wouldn't recommend these boots and this experience has unfortunately put me off buying Merrell boots.

A very versatile boot! I left my GTX hikers at home…

Break-in Period: None needed in my case
Weight: 170 lbs

A very versatile boot! I left my GTX hikers at home when I trekked in Arctic Alaska with these boots and it proved a wise choice. I wanted excellent water drainage due to many stream crossings for which changing to waders was impractical. The vents go right down to the top of the insole, so there was no chance for puddles of water inside. (When water has breeched the top of my GTX boots, I was walking in water buckets.) After 10 minutes of hiking out of streams, my feet were wet but warm, and I found these boots dried overnight (I know that would not have been the case with leather and GTX).

I tested all this in Chicago winter weather, so I know the boots stay warm while wet down to the low 30s. My only concern is that traversing talus slopes, the sides of the boot uppers were not so stiff that my feet would slide well off-center of the soles, but in fairness I should note that I greased my feet with water-repellent cream. I actually preferred having these more flexible uppers compared to leather. The overall weight savings compared to my other boots was 1 pound, and that's sweet. It's a great choice of boot where you cannot fight off getting wet feet, so you must manage the situation instead.

I liked these boots a lot when i first bought them.

Use: short hikes, maybe a couple of hours
Price Paid: £89

I liked these boots a lot when i first bought them. they started leaking after a few weeks. took them back to the store and after a month they changed for new ones. that was 6 months ago.

they have never been 100% waterproof but i put up with that because they are v comfortable. now the soles are coming away from the uppers at the front and i've lost my receipt. i will never buy another pair which is a shame as i also have a pair of Merrell sandals which are great.

I bought these as summer dayhiking boots. I've bashed…

Use: rough trail dayhikes
Break-in Period: from the box

I bought these as summer dayhiking boots. I've bashed them on many SW trail miles, and they have protected my feet fairly well. They are light, and as breathable as they look, but they are much sturdier than their mesh/suede construction would suggest. The Vibram soles are solid, handling wet talus with no problem. These boots feel nimble, yet have a great stride. I have found a new go-to boot for dry weather.

Used them for two weeks on the AT and didn't have…

Use: 2 weeks on the AT
Break-in Period: logged about 7 hours in them and even those were painless/

Used them for two weeks on the AT and didn't have any blisters and they were dry on the inside every morning even after 4 days of rain due to the excellent breathability. LOVE them!!

ArenalGarden

Probably the only boot chewing gum won't stick to....and vice versa. River rocks may as well be giant ice cubes.

1 year ago
If you've owned or used a Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid, please share your experience.

Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid