Mountain House Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice Pro-Pak

Weight 0.46 lb
Servings 2
Serving Size 1 cup

Reasonable taste, good variety of textures, rice is…

Summary

Reasonable taste, good variety of textures, rice is poor.

Pros

• Decent taste
  • Good variety of textures
  • Rehydrates well
  • Filling, at 1 serving per pag
  • Lots of pork and pineapple.
  • Easy to prepare

Cons

• Poor texture of rice
  • High in salt and sugar

Sweet-Sour-Pork-ProPak.jpg

Mountain House Pro-Pak Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice is a dehydrated meal, and like most Mountain House products, it rehydrates well and provides a lot of calories (380/bag). The pro-pak only weighs 125 grams, and the bags are pretty much indestructible, so they are especially good for backpacking.  Good for elevation, too — the pro-paks won't expand as you ascend.

Preparation is simple: add boiling water, seal the bag, and let sit for 9-10 minutes. Stir and serve.

I used this at a campsite where we had access to a propane stove, and it delivered a decent meal in a short time. The serving size was one per person, so less than some of the other meals available (at 1-2 servings), but with that size of portion, both myself and my guest were full.

The pieces of pork were 1/4 to 3/8" and while they cooked well enough, they were still a bit chewy. With green and red peppers and onions, there is a good variety of flavours, and the chunks of pineapple were a nice touch, making the dish a bit closer to the kind of thing you'd expect from a Chinese takeout place.

However, there was one glaring error. The grains of rice were small and textureless, reminding me of 'Minute Rice' but without the taste. Drowned in the sauce, the texture was less noticeable, but I wonder if they couldn't have found something that would be more palatable.

Have a good look at the ingredients list, though. If you have concerns with extra salt or sugar, this meal is high in both, with 1020 mg of sodium and 28 grams of sugar per bag. You might also note that while it's a 'pork' dish, it's created on a chicken base.

All in all, not bad. I'd buy it again, if only for the variety, but I can't place it on a par with the kind of food you could buy at a restaurant or prepare on your own.

Peter1955

As is often the case with freeze-dried meals, sometimes one forgets to keep track of the time the water went in. In this case the food cooked for at least an extra 5 minutes. Cooking times also vary with elevation, but that wouldn't have been a factor here.

Seems to really hit the spot when you're cold, hungry,…

Summary

Seems to really hit the spot when you're cold, hungry, and tired. I initially had low expectations, but after heating it up I was surprised how good it tasted.

Pros

• Good mix of sweet, sour, and salty
  • Easy to prepare
  • Pork tastes good

Cons

• A little on the gluey side
  • Rice is just OK
  • Portions a little sparse for the hungry

Sure this isn't gourmet food, but after a long, cold day it exceeded my expectations. Neither my wife nor I are particularly picky eaters, so we were both rather pleased.

The pork was tender, it had a fair number of vegetables, and the combination of sweet, sour, and salty hit the spot. The rice reconstituted well, but was a little gluey (like any instant rice).

Like most freeze-dried meals it was easy to prepare (just add boiling water and let sit for 15 minutes). My wife and I shared a 2-person serving, and since we were both famished it left both of us a little on the hungry side.

We've bought a couple of more packs of this, and will probably take them on our next trip.

Visit Mountain House's Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice Pro-Pak page.

The Mountain House Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice Pro-Pak is pork, rice, and vegetables smothered in a delicious pineapple sauce . The Pro-Pak packaging is a compact vacuum pouch that requires less space in your backpack and won't expand at high elevations.

- CampSaver.com

Mountain House Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice Pro-Pak

The Mountain House Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice Pro-Pak is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.

If you're looking for a new meat entrée, check out the best reviewed current models.