Mountain House Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice

Weight 0.57 lb
Servings 2.5
Serving Size 1 cup

Another comfort-food staple delivered to you by Mountain…

Summary

Another comfort-food staple delivered to you by Mountain House, and while it may be without the trademark, white, paper takeout box, one bite of this and you'll swear it was delivery. The DiGiorno of Chinese food, for backpackers. My second-favorite meal, only to their Chili Mac, and a nice, rice-based alternative to the other pasta-centered dishes.

Pros

• Asian food that tastes like — Asian food! Better than the Teriyaki!
  • The "sweet" comes from pineapple — a welcome surprise for a freeze-dried meal
  • Great savory, pork flavor — you not only can see the meat, but taste it, too
  • Brainless preparation — thanks for helping dudes in the kitchen, MH
  • Democratic proportioning of ingredients

Cons

• MH should carry the same level of thought into all their Asian recipes

I bought this because REI was out of Stroganoff AND Lasagna, and this was the next best-looking dish they'd for sale. I tried the MH Teriyaki before, and wasn't impressed with how genuinely "Teriyaki" tasting it was. Then again, Chinese food and pizza are much the same to me — even when they're mediocre, they're still pretty damn good, hot or cold.

Pleased to say I don't regret this purchase one bit, and I place it currently behind their Chili Mac as my second-favorite MH meal.

PACKAGING

No different than any other standard package of MH food.

Here're a couple shots of the 2.5-serving bag:

P1010808.jpg

P1010809.jpg

INGREDIENTS

P1010811.jpg

NUTRITION FACTS

P1010810.jpg

PREP AND COOKING

All I need to cook this is a stove and small pot: boil 2 cups (or 16 oz) of water, pour it inside the re-sealable pouch, and let it sit for 8-9 minutes.

2013-07-28-19-18-44.jpg

Contents prior to re-hydration

P1010812.jpg

P1010813.jpg

TIP: let this one rest inside the bag a little longer than the 8-9 minutes MH suggests. I've made this a cardinal rule will ALL my Mountain House and ALL my dehydrated meals. Especially for rice dishes, you're going to want to give these meals a few more minutes to soak up all that boiling water. If you're game for crunchy rice, dive on in at the suggested time, but for most folks, you're going to want that rice al dente, at the least.

Wait 8-9 minutes, open the bag, and here's what it looks like:

P1010818.jpg

EATING

All I need to eat this is a spoon: you can eat straight from the bag.

I like rice dishes because they're really easy to eat with a spoon, and you can usually get a little bit of everything into a single bite.

Rice is my preferred starch and I usually defer to it, when possible.

FLAVOR/CLAIMS

Sweet.

And.

Sour.

Seriously, though, this is a dish that actually lives up to the name, and tastes like it should.

There is no generic "Asian-flavored" sauce. There are individual and separate flavors, here, and the combination of them makes this a really enjoyable meal.

Apart from the rice and sweet-and-sour sauce (and you can actually recognize the hint of shoyu/soy sauce, here), you've got:

• Pork
  • Pineapple
  • Green Peppers
  • Onions
  • Red Peppers

It's a textbook version of S&S, but one that's well-executed and prefers tradition and simplicity to anything else.

Mountain House really does do this one justice. I could take a scoop of this from a paper takeout box, and think someone had Chinese food delivered straight to my campsite (if there are any Chinese delivery joints that do deliver to campsites, please let me know).

The texture is varied and interesting throughout, and again, why I prefer rice meals. You generally don't have to decide between noodles and the rest of the ingredients to enjoy all the flavors at once.

My favorite part was the unexpected, sweet kick from the pineapple. Sure, this is a requisite component for a "Sweet and Sour" dish, but rarely if ever do you find a fruity flavor in your backpacking, freeze-dried meals. I'm not much of a guy for fruit, and I was all about this pineapple.

The other notable flavor would be the pork. You actually, legitimately taste it, and this isn't a dish where a sauce overpowers the rest the ingredients. The savoriness balances well with the sweet ting you get from the pineapple. There're more than enough pieces of the pork, too, that you can get a little into every bite.

Here're the contents of the meal, shown plated, to give a better view of the serving size and ingredients:

P1010819.jpg

SATIETY AND ENERGY

240 calories per serving, 2.5 servings per bag.

This actually was a 2.5-serving meal, mostly because rice is an inexpensive ingredient and thy can really pack a lot of it into these pouches. Rice is a filling starch, but one I've never felt overstuffed eating.

Suffice it to say, this one was worth the wait. Once I got home, I plopped my pack down in the kitchen, grabbed this bag and my pot, and made the meal on the stove without missing a beat.

May not have enjoyed it on the trail, but I enjoyed it, nonetheless.

P1010820.jpg

SEASONING AND TIPS

I usually sprinkle a dash (or several) of black pepper on my food, as it's an easy way to gain flavor without gaining more sodium atop an already sodium-laden dish (810 mg, in this case). Even if you don't have any, it's varied enough in flavors that you could do well without it, and enjoy it just as much.

To get the most out of this meal, stir it both prior to adding water, and prior to eating, so you can really sample all the components at once. The ingredients are good by themselves, but really come out when you combine them all together.

P1010821.jpg

BEST FOR

5 stars. I know I've got to say something negative to make this a thoughtful review, but really, my only regret was in buying only one pouch. Would've taken this over the BP meal I had, easily.

Pretty good. Tried this at home. Meat is a little…

Summary

Pretty good.

Pros

• Easy
  • Good
  • Hearty

Cons

• Price

Tried this at home. Meat is a little chewy but that's to be expected with this kind of meal. Had little bits of pineapple even. I had no problem eating the two-person meal by myself. It said it made 20 oz. I was really full after eating it.

Visit Mountain House's Sweet & Sour Pork with Rice page.

Mountain House makes some of the best camping and backpacking meals available and this dehydrated Sweet and Sour Pork for two is both convenient and delicious. Pork, rice, and vegetables smothered in a delicious pineapple sauce. INGREDIENTS: Sweet & Sour Pork: Cooked Pork (pork, salt, natural flavor), Pineapple in Light Syrup (sugar and citric acid), Green Peppers, Vinegar, Onions, Red Peppers, Brown Sugar, Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, and Contains 2% or less of Chicken Base (chicken including natural chicken juices, salt, chicken fat, maltodextrin, hydrolyzed corn gluten, dried whey, spice extractives and onion powder, turmeric), Worcestershire Sauce (distilled vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, salt, caramel color, garlic powder, sugar, spices, anchovies, tamarind, natural flavor), Soy Sauce (wheat, soybeans, salt, alcohol, vinegar, lactic acid), Corn Oil, Sesame/Soybean Oil, Seasoning (autolyzed yeast extract, safflower oil, natural flavor), Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Spice, and Spice Extract. Rice: Enriched Precooked Rice (niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid). CONTAINS: Milk, Anchovy, Wheat, Soy. Nutrition:. Pkg. Net Wt.(oz): 6.10. Servings per Pkg: 2.5. Serving Size: 1 cup. Total Calories: 280. From Fat: 45. Total Fat: 5 grams. Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams. Transfat Acid: 0 grams. Cholesterol: 40 milligrams. Sodium: 950 milligrams. Carbos: 47 grams. Dietary Fiber: 1 grams. Sugars: 16 grams. Protein: 12 grams

- Tahoe Mountain Sports

MOUNTAIN HOUSE #10 TIN CANS: 10 Servings (1 cup each). Item not available for International Shipment.

- CampSaver.com

This Mountain House meal features pork and rice smothered in a Hawaiian pineapple sauce.

Mountain House Pouches are lightweight, easy and delicious meals for your camping and backpacking trips. Just pour boiling water into the standup pouch, seal the top and eat right from the pouch when ready. Enjoy the Sweet & Sour Pork w/Rice - pork, rice and vegetables with a delicious pineapple sauce.

- Appalachian Outdoors