Oboz Bridger BDry

I bought these boot just about a year ago and I'm…

Summary

I bought these boot just about a year ago and I'm quite pleased.

Out of the box fit was good and a trip to REI got me into a size that was best. It took a week or so for my upper ankle to adjust to the padding, but I'm happy as a clam now. They really are waterproof, very comfortable, and seem to be lasting after a year of constant use.

I wear these for about 50% of my daily footwear and for trail hiking in New England. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Great traction
  • Look nice (IMHO)
  • Designed in Montana

Cons

• Soles can slip on smooth/polished floor
  • Made in China

I shopped around for a new boot for quite some time. I wanted a hiking boot that I could wear in the city without looking like a hipster lumberjack, something that would keep my feet dry and warm, a product that supports folks that live around me and something that would last.

I found Oboz during my search and they satisfied most of my criteria. Because they were from Montana I decided to take a chance on the "local guy", give them a bit of money for their effort and see what they make.

Out of the box they are an attractive boot. Mine are brown and black with subtle orange accents on the lugs and trim. They slip on easily enough and snug up to my ankles with confidence. The size was a bit off so I exchanged then for a pair 1/2 size different (larger, I think). Perfect fit.

There were some uncomfortable pressure points on the front of my upper ankle, but I loosened the laces for about a week to give my body time to adjust. Now I lace them all the way up, tighter for more support, if needed. There is just enough padding in the upper collar for a comfortable, snug fit.

I hadn't thought of it until now but I've never had to empty ANYTHNG out of my boots! I wear them in snow, gravel... all sorts of terrain.

These boots seem to have a waterproof bootie layer. I constantly walk through water with total confidence. The outer leather gets wet (of course), but my feet always stay dry. I splash through 3-inch deep puddles as they come up, but I think what I most appreciate is walking through wet grass or brush all day and not getting my feet wet.

These are my winter boots. Because my feet are dry they stay as warm as I'm prepared to stay. Winter wool socks make these boots great for tromping through snow and slush, lighter socks make for a nice summer hike.

So how did the experiment go? I like to make sure that my hard earned dollars are well spent and given to folks that deserve it. These folks at Oboz have proven themselves with this boot. They seem to have a strong, ethical, well run business and I wouldn't hesitate giving them more of my money.

I tried them out based on a few things I read and I'll stay with them because they made a damn nice boot.

Hi detay! Great first review. I hope you will post more!

Welcome to Trailspace, detay61! Thanks for sharing your first review. I'd love to see some pics of your Oboz boots.

KiwiKlimber

I second what the others have said, this is a great first review. Thanks for sharing. A couple attached photos of the shoes would make this great review even better.

rob5073

These look very similar to Kenetrek Boots based in Bozeman, MT. Does anyone know if a parent company for Oboz exists? Just curious. Even the name of the boot is similar.

@Rob, I believe Oboz, which started in 2007, is independent. However, it is also a Bozeman, Montana, company like Kenetrek, so there may be a connection there (beyond both naming their footwear after local spots). http://obozfootwear.com/why-oboz/company

rob5073

Thanks Alicia

I bought these boots based upon recommendations from…

Summary

I bought these boots based upon recommendations from the staff at REI. I used them during a weekend camp out with the Boy Scouts and cannot be happier with them.

They felt broken in from the moment I put them on and stayed comfortable over the next 36 hours. My feet stayed dry and the arch support was excellent. Definitely recommend them.

Pros

• Great support
  • No break-in time required
  • Quality craftsmenship

Cons

• None so far