Osprey Daylite

Weight 1 lb 1 oz / .48 kg
Capacity 750 cu in / 13 L

A versatile, lightweight day pack: on or off trail,…

Summary

A versatile, lightweight day pack: on or off trail, my new day-to-day pack. Another reason Osprey is my pack brand of choice.

Pros

• Simple
  • Light
  • Versatile

Cons

• Bungee stopper came off
  • Bladder sleeve doesn't hold shape

This is my fourth (yes, fourth) Osprey pack and it's another winner. I have 70, 50, and 36 liter packs for different occasions. The Stratos 36 is sweet for all-day hikes, but it's too large for those quick 2 hour hikes with friends. The Daylite has filled that need very nicely.

The setup of the bag is simple. It strikes a nice balance between keeping it basic and having the features that get me through. The main body is just a single compartment and a small zippered pocket at the outside top. There is a key clip (must) and a criss-cross bungee for an extra layer or flip flops for aching feet. The stopper that kept the toggle on the bungee came off a few times under high tension, so I just removed it and put an overhand knot in its place. The body fabric has been really durable and has an awesome DWR. I spilled some cola on it and it beaded like a dream and wiped with no stains.

DayliteBack.jpg

The back panel is comfortable. There is a flat foam sheet with three raised wave panel foam pieces against your shoulder blades and lumbar. The pack isn't made to carry a lot of weight, but when you max it out with water and food, it's still comfy. The bladder sleeve is between the foam panel and the main body, so it sits outside of the compartment of the bag. I carry a 100oz Camelbak and it's large for the sleeve, so it is a bit tall and takes up some space in the main compartment. Not a deal breaker, but makes the panel rounded and weird sometimes.

The hip belt is just a 3/4" adjustable webbing strap. It's adjustable and stowable. It's not the most supportive thing, but, again, not a huge hauling pack. It's really most handy when scrambling or cycling and keeps the pack on your back nicely. The shoulder straps are light and airy and very thinly padded, and they have elastic H2O routing bands. The sternum strap is nice with an emergency whistle on the buckle.

I've read others' comments on the inadequacy of the mesh water bottle pockets. I've had some issues with my 32oz. Nalgene popping out of them, but I just use 1L water bottles from the gas station because they're narrower, taller, lighter, and it's better than trashing or even recycling them.

I also use this pack for my work bag: it holds papers just fine as well as my keys, wallet, and phone. Overall, a great bag that I'll be using for a long time.

*I am an employee at Whole Earth Provision Co. in Dallas. My views do not necessarily represent the views of Whole Earth Provision Co. or its employees. I pride myself in providing unbiased reviews of products I purchase for my personal use.

Very easy to use. Best bag for a summer camp staff…

Summary

Very easy to use. Best bag for a summer camp staff person. Versatile and light, but full featured in its straps, side pockets and zippered pockets.

Pros

• Light
  • Fun

Cons

• Small

Fit: Fits close to back.

Comfort: Thin hip belt strap but shoulder straps fit very well and are adjustable.

Capacity: As advertised it fits a good 13L on the inside and has ability to old gear on the outside.

Organization: Simple two zippered pockets make it simple to remember where your items are.

Ride: Perfect ride if you're not too tall...

Compression: Can easily hold heavy loads...

Ease of use: Few parts and very well made. They always work well on the trails.

Features: Can be added onto other packs of Osprey's.

Construction: Very durable in my opinion.

Conditions: Needs a rain fly if in heavy rain.

Small and perfect for short day hikes. It is perfect…

Price Paid: 30$ on sale

Summary

Small and perfect for short day hikes.

Pros

• Comes with a whistle in back straps
  • Hydration compatible
  • Comfortable fit on hips and shoulders
  • Back panel ventilation

Cons

• No secure side pockets
  • A little small for longer hikes
  • Too small to fit much water

It is perfect for a short day hike to hold raingear, emergency and snacks, but it is missing some zippered side pockets for easy access items like chapstick or cell phone. The side pockets do not stretch and placing water bottles on the sides does not leave much room for stuff inside.

It is hydration compatible on the other hand, which leaves the side pockets free for other gear. The back panel allows fair ventilation and the pack sits well on the hips and the shoulders making it comfortable to move around. But the perfect hidden bonus is the whistle on the back straps.

All in all it is great for a short light hike.

I initially purchased this for an add-on to my Osprey…

I initially purchased this for an add-on to my Osprey Aether 60 so I have better organization. The Aether is a great pack but there 's no real zippered pockets accept for the lid, so I end up a bunch of stuff sacks taking up room in the main bag area. The Daylite was a great solution to my issue. Mind you, I was using Kelty packs before this so I was spoiled with a lot of zipper pockets on the outside, which made organization a breeze.

The Daylite fits very well onto the Aether packs.

Also, with some of my Keltys, you could take off the lid and use it as a fanny pack for day hikes after making camp. Again, another solution with the Daylite.

I recently started using the pack just for day hikes. There's enough room to bring all I need for the dog and me for the day.

Some have said that the water bottle pockets are to small. I fit my 1L Camelbak and 32 oz Nalgene in with no problem. And not once have they fallen out, or been a pain to get out.

Only real issues I have with it is the slide for the shoulder straps rub on my inner arm when I wear sleeveless shirts, which I usually do. It's just annoying. I wish there was more of a stash pocket on the front rather than the bungie thing. I do find it a bit tight with the shoulder straps getting on and off. But once it's on, I'm good.

I'm 6'3" and about 220. I found the pack to fit me just fine, though I almost max out the shoulder straps. The waist belt is OK, better than nothing especially when scrambling up and down and going fast. It gives better control. The chest strap is longer than most others.

If you have an Osprey pack that would accommodate the Daylite, I would suggest getting one of these. It is light enough to not make a difference really. And if you're looking for a small, light day pack for hikes when you don't need to bring much accept for some food, a little cloths, a towel some dog stuff etc, this is a good choice.

Also, nothing seems cheap on this pack and it is durable. I expect it to last me a long time.

I have owned a Daylite for about six months now. It…

I have owned a Daylite for about six months now.

It is of overall good design. Its size is sufficient to hold my gear for a short day hike and the harness suspension makes for a glue like fit in your back. The smaller pocket is perfect for holding your small pocket items like keys, wallet, cellphone glasses, etc. Also having an extra 10-liters of storage space on your pack isn't all that bad.

However, there are some drawbacks. For one, the shoulder strap adjustments seem to be a bit short, so if you are a bigger guy you may run out of adjustment room. Second, the mesh water bottle pockets are too small for a Sigg much less a Nalgene. Lastly, the hydration pocket is too narrow for a 3L Camelbak resivoir.

Even though there is no hip belt, they provide you with a 3/4" webbing strap which I do not use as the pack is plenty stable without it. You also have to be somewhat careful how you pack it because if you put something sharp sticking into your back you will feel it.

Interesting tip: you can remove the back foam pad relatively easily. If you ever end up in a situation where you are stuck out on an unexpected overnight then you could use it as an insulating pad to sit on.

Let me just start by saying that I love Osprey packs,…

Design: Top loading daypack
Size: 13 liters
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 5-6 kilos
Height of Owner: 180 cm

Let me just start by saying that I love Osprey packs, and own no less than 5... Bought this pack as an add-on for my larger Osprey packs (Aether 70 and Exposure 50) and it fit perfectly. I usually hike to a nice location, make camp and take day trips from there. So the Daylite seemed like a good idea. The year before I had strapped on a Talon 11 instead of the Daylite, or stuffed it inside an even larger pack (Bora 95)

The problem with the Daylite is that it is not a very comfortable daypack. The harness is too short/small/narrow and the hip belt is replaced by a strap. And the back panel is too thin, so if something hard and uneven in shape is in the pack, it pokes me in the back. The outer mesh pockets are also too small to hold my water bottles secure in rough terrain.

The Talon 11 is a much better option, but it is not fitted to be used as an add-on. I sent Osprey an email asking if they could retrofit the Talon to work as an add-on pack, but they weren't able to do so. Too bad, as it would be perfect.

This thing does not budge. I do a lot of fast hiking/…

Design: Lightweight
Size: 750 Cu. In
Number of Pockets: 1
Height of Owner: 5'9"

This thing does not budge. I do a lot of fast hiking/ long distance trail running and my old pack would bounce like crazy, even with the straps cinched down and the load well distributed. This little guy will hold tight to your back and you'll hardly notice it's there.

It has a well ventilated back, a small front pockets for keys/bars/whatever, it takes a hydration bladder if you use them, and it holds enough for a quick jaunt and not much else. Seems relatively durable for what it is, but the straps are a bit lightweight.

That being said, I don't think that you shouldn't expect a $49 lightweight pack to really last more than a couple of years with constant use/abuse anyways.

I'm totally satisfied in my first 6 months of use. The only real downside is that I only own one and I constantly have to fight the wife for it on my days off.

Overall decent but fit isn't very good. I'm 5'10"…

Height of Owner: 5' 10"

Overall decent but fit isn't very good. I'm 5'10" and the straps are too small on me. Straps are also at the VERY end to fit reasonably comfortable but that means any slippage and it comes undone. No real waistband except cheap strap.

It's built fine - just fit is for smaller people. Needs more outside compartments - really just one small one (and I mean small) on the pack outside otherwise its just one 'sack'. Couple of mesh side panels are nice for water bottles but it seems I constantly have to open the pack to get what I need since I can't store in a smaller outside access area.

There are better packs out there that fit better.

overall, an excellent daypack, versatile and very…

Design: daypack
Size: 750 cu in.
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 13 lbs.
Height of Owner: 6,3
Price Paid: nothing, i won it.

overall, an excellent daypack, versatile and very handy. one nice feature that i had discovered on accident is that the daylite is waterproof. the compartment for a water bladder comes in handy on each trip that i bring it on, and the mesh compartments on either side of the pack are useful as well. also, the daylite can be connected to several larger backpacks from osprey, such as the aether 85.

This daypack seems indestructible. The yoke harness…

Design: daypack
Size: 750 ci
Max. Load Carried: 10 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5' 10"

This daypack seems indestructible.

The yoke harness takes some getting used to but works well. Loads lay nice on the small of your back, not up high. Although not designed with hydra in mind, it can accommodate a 1 liter bag and some gear.

The sternum and waist straps are a bit small. They could be wider. I am 5' 10" @ 204 lbs and the chest straps just barely reach to a comfortable level.

Osprey makes great packs. I have had two and liked them both.