Platypus Hoser

Goal: hydration system that works all the time, is…

Summary

Goal: hydration system that works all the time, is comparatively durable, works with multiple water filtrations systems and components, and is the lightest weight. Bar none, the solution is the Platypus Hoser.

Pros

• Rock solid dependability
  • I've put them through the ringer with no breaks or leaks
  • Comparatively these are extraordinarily lightweight
  • The bag integrates perfectly with the Sawyer Squeeze water filtration system

Cons

• The bag's mouth is small, but that's part of what makes it perfect for the Sawyer Squeeze filter.
  • 2L seems slightly too small for my purposes, but the 3L is GREAT!

20140203_072325.jpg

I am more of a hiker and less of a camper. So my hydration system needs to be more for an athletic backpack that takes a beating. In other words, I would be more forgiving if my hydration system was not perfect for camp. So, I was thrilled to discover through many miles and camps that the Platypus Hoser works fabulously well in both environments. Woo-hoo!

My Water System: I look at water storage and filtration as an end-to-end system. I think this creates both an economy in weight as well as an efficiency in how water gets used both on and off the trail (think time-savings when filtering as well as getting out of camp). At the user-end of my system you'll find the Platypus Hoser.

At the acquisition-end I use the Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter Plus with a 64 oz bag. I connect the Sawyer bag to the filter, then I use a tornado tube to connect either the 3L bag from my Platypus Hoser or the 2L Platy bottle that I use in camp.

In this way, I can quickly prepare almost 7 Liters of water when I get to camp (3L Hoser bag in my pack and ready for the next day + 2L Platy bottle + almost 2L Sawyer bag). This means I filter only once a day AND I have tons of water for any imaginable use while I'm in camp.  Clearly, dumping the excess water while breaking camp takes no time at all.

Best of All Worlds? Strangely enough, I think the Platypus Hoser system is really the very best option, even though it's not the newest or most expensive. The only thing that other systems seem to do better is to have large openings to pour water into. Hmmmm... that also adds quite a lot of weight and it creates new places for a bag to fail (leak). So to reduce exposure to leaking, and to maintain the lightest bag system, it seems that the Hoser takes away the prize!  YMMV, though if you subscribe to the KISS rule then the Hoser may be worth your consideration.

My Family Loves The Hoser. There are 5 of us; 4 that are over 4 years old. So, 4 of us use a Hoser in our backpacks. The little guy doesn't carry anything yet. His job is to be really cool.  :-)

Hope that helps. Happy hiking!

One way in and only one way out. This was my first…

Summary

One way in and only one way out.

This was my first Platypus I bought for backpacking and at first I enjoyed it, but after testing it in the field I did not like it. There is only one way to fill the bag and it's at the bottom where the tube connects. This became a pain.

I think it was a few dollars cheaper than the Camelbak,…

Summary

I think it was a few dollars cheaper than the Camelbak, which is why I bought it. So far so good. The small opening is hard to fill from a stream, but carrying another bottle or a mug solves that problem. If you use iodine for water purification, it will stain it yellow. I also have gotten a lot of dirt stuck in the bite valve... I don't really care, but I can't get it out.

Pros

• Functional

Cons

• Bite valve construction traps dirt

I bought the 2 liter and usually carry one other one liter bottle along with it. I didn't want to get any larger because it takes up space in my pack and requires taking off and repacking my pack to refill, whereas my water bottle holders are on the outside and easy to reach.

I use iodine to purify water, so it has stained the bladder yellow, but as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't matter

I've used it on 8 days worth of backpacking now (two two night trips, one 3 night trip) and it's holding up well. No trouble cleaning it so far.

The bite valve seems to get dirt stuck in every time I set my pack down. I don't really care, but it's really hard to get out. It doesn't affect the functionality though. I suppose this could be avoided if I were more careful about not letting it drag on the ground when I put down my pack.

The narrow opening makes it almost impossible to fill from a small stream — this isn't an issue for me since I carry another bottle, which I fill and then pour into the bladder. I think Platypus makes another bladder with a big opening if that's a concern for you.

I have the 2 liter Hoser, easy to fill, no leaks and…

I have the 2 liter Hoser, easy to fill, no leaks and no bad aftertaste.

Update: December 19, 2011

Went to Philmont, have had second thoughts about the bladder. It started leaking on the 2nd day and by the 8th day. I just threw it away. Won't order another.

Super light and simple -- so extra handles, caps,…

Super light and simple -- so extra handles, caps, valves and covers that just add weight. Also, no leaks from bite valve.

Water tastes so good that on my last trip my son was drinking from my reservoir because he said his (blue one) was giving off a plastic taste. Now I'm upgrading all my reservoirs to Hosers.

Great product at the right price.

Great value and light weight.

Great value and light weight.

This is by far the best bang for your buck water reservoir…

This is by far the best bang for your buck water reservoir out there. I purchased the 3.0L Hoser and can tell you that it's a beast. It can take a beating and not leak. If you are trying to decide on a water reservoir and are looking at the Platypus Hoser go ahead and take the plunge, you will not regret it!

I love this water bag. I hiked the AT once (only about…

I love this water bag. I hiked the AT once (only about 40 miles) and it kinda sucked not using this because I did not have it at the time I hiked. I would just have to get my Nalgene out of my pack each time and that blew. Now I don't have to do that anymore I can just take a sip from the Platypus.