Salomon Quest 4D GTX

Minimal break-in time, great support and grip with…

Summary

Minimal break-in time, great support and grip with non-clunky feel.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Traction
  • Lacing doesn't press ankle bones

Cons

• Sizing (Salomon runs bigger than your other shoes)
  • Toe bumper started peeling after 8 days
  • Tread probably won't last as long as other boots

I got this boot because my nubuck/leather trail work boots are on the out, as are my backup pair of "comfy"/sturdy hikers. I wanted a boot for the days I have more hiking and less trail work.

Sizing:

I've loved and been a devotee of the Women's Salomon XA Pro GTX trail runners as hikers and runners. So I thought I'd give these a try. Remembering that this brand tends to run larger, I ordered an 8. When I first bought Salomon's I bought a 9. Huge! I sometimes take an 8.5 in the XA Pro 3D, but I'm debating sizing down to an 8 in that as well.

The 8's in these, compared to the 9's in my other hiking boots, fits great. I didn't put my thin Downunders (amazing) insole in for the first hike. However, the heel cup was deep enough to fit this insole in, and I hiked in blissful comfort most of my hikes.

Comfort:

Hiking in the White Mountains of N.H. is a lot of up and down on rocks. I'd say my forefoot did fatigue in these boots by the end of the day, but who's wouldn't?  I wore gaiters half the time, but when I didn't, I did not get much debris in the boots.

I liked the grip and tension you could put on the laces. There were no pressure spots on my ankle bones or nerves (some boots are horrible in these areas).

Construction:

The toe bumper started peeling on the inside before I even got two weeks of wear into the boot. I haven't shoe-gooed them yet, but I may contact the company.

Traction-wise, I felt comfortable walking down and up slick rocks to loose cobble. I hiked all types of conditions in these boots so far, and the traction handled it all.

If you are in a bog for an hour, they may take 4 days to dry out... like most boots. But after a typical day of use, they dry overnight if inserted with newspaper/swap out newspaper often enough, and put somewhere that isn't super damp.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Quest 4D GTX versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 16 reviews for other versions of the Quest 4D GTX. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Salomon Women's Quest 4D GTX, please share your experience.