Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout

Weight 34 oz / .96 k
Pack size 15 x 5 in

A great lightweight shelter that doesn't break the…

A great lightweight shelter that doesn't break the bank!

• Lightweight at 34 oz.
  • Study
  • Fast and easy pitch
  • Affordable
  • Uses trekking poles

• Requires seam sealing

For the past year, I've been looking for a lighter tent to replace my MH Lightpath 2. After months of research, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout.

The Skyscape Scout is a 34 oz. non-free standing tent.  It utilizes trekking poles to pitch the tent. One of the many features I really like about this tent is that it only requires a total of 5 stakes to pitch (only 3 to set up initially, 2 stakes are used to pitch the vestibules).

Compared to the other tents I have reviewed and used like the TT Contrail and the aforementioned MH Lightpath 2, the Skyscape Scout is a side entry tent...I actually prefer a side entry tent as opposed to a "tunnel" style entry tent - it just makes entering the shelter that much easier.  Lastly, I like how the inner net tent and fly are all attached and can be pitched all at once for a quick pitch.

I personally opted for the Polyester version primarily because of the price.  For a 2 pound shelter, you just cannot beat the price.

Some manufacturer specs (from SMD Site) for the Skyscape Scout

• Canopy - 190T Polyester
  • Floor - 190T Polyester
  • Netting - 40D No-See-Um
  • Zipper - #3 YKK

• Type - Hybrid Double Wall
  • Frame - Dual Pole (not included)
  • Entry - Side Entry
  • Floor Space - 23 ft2 - 2.2 m2
  • Vestibules - 2
  • Vestibule Size - 16 ft2 - 1.4 m

Overall, I'm really happy about the tent and I am looking forward to using this on my trips this year and on.

Some setup photos:

Storm mode

Dual vestibules

Side view, vestibule has enough space for a pack and shoes.

On a summer day, you can completely roll back both vestibules for maximum ventilation

Thank you for the great review. Have you tried it in the rain? How did it stand up?

Hey Sammy312! Yes, it's been in rain, wind and snow. Still one of my favorite tents for the price and weight - it's now marked down to $90!!!

The Skyscape Scout is a lightweight, inexpensive,…

The Skyscape Scout is a lightweight, inexpensive, single person tent.

• Hybrid double/single wall
  • Inexpensive
  • Uses trekking polls
  • Easy setup

• Small stuff sack

I've used this tent over a dozen nights in conditions ranging from light rain to heavy wind or warm nights. Its versatility allows you to open it like a tarp or buckle it down like a double wall tent.

All of my gear fits in the tent with nothing relegated to the vestibule. Six Moon Designs says there are two vestibules, but only one can be accessed from inside so I don't consider the second one usable.

I did replace the cross bar with PEX plumbing pipe which added a couple of ounces to the weight. The stuff sack is 5" x 15" which is just large enough if you roll the tent tight so I replaced it with a 7" x 15" which made it easier to roll and stuff the tent. My total weight is now 40 ounces (1.3kg).

Depending on your setup three to six stakes are used. You can open either or both vestibules or one side of either or both. The foot has a tie-out so you can lift the wall off of your feet if necessary.

I recommend this tent for anyone who doesn't want to spend multiple hundreds of dollars for a single person lightweight shelter.

Thanks for the review, Glenn! I'd love to see a few pictures of your tent setup, if you're willing to share some in your review.

Glenn Burns

Photos added. Thanks, Glenn

Nice! Thank you, Glenn!

Good value, very well constructed, just the right…

Good value, very well constructed, just the right price point to get involved with UL hiking.

• Good value
  • Well constructed
  • Relatively light

• Marginal instructions
  • Low bathtub
  • Needed seam sealing
  • Small vestibules

I purchased the SMD Skyscape Scout tent to take on a 100-mile Colorado Trail segment hike. The Skyscape Scout from Six Moon Designs was the best choice to get started. The Scout is the same tent as the Trekker, but in poly. Only a slight weight penalty separates the Scout from the Trekker, so the choice (for me) was obvious.

The tent is easy to set up, has good headroom, but small vestibules. Ventilation is good, and the tent packs easily into its sack.

Welcome to Trailspace, Steve. Thanks for sharing your first review with us.