Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout

Weight 34 oz / .96 k
Pack size 15 x 5 in

A great lightweight shelter that doesn't break the…

Summary

A great lightweight shelter that doesn't break the bank!

Pros

• Lightweight at 34 oz.
  • Study
  • Fast and easy pitch
  • Affordable
  • Uses trekking poles

Cons

• Requires seam sealing

For the past year, I've been looking for a lighter tent to replace my MH Lightpath 2. After months of research, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout.

The Skyscape Scout is a 34 oz. non-free standing tent.  It utilizes trekking poles to pitch the tent. One of the many features I really like about this tent is that it only requires a total of 5 stakes to pitch (only 3 to set up initially, 2 stakes are used to pitch the vestibules).

Compared to the other tents I have reviewed and used like the TT Contrail and the aforementioned MH Lightpath 2, the Skyscape Scout is a side entry tent...I actually prefer a side entry tent as opposed to a "tunnel" style entry tent - it just makes entering the shelter that much easier.  Lastly, I like how the inner net tent and fly are all attached and can be pitched all at once for a quick pitch.

I personally opted for the Polyester version primarily because of the price.  For a 2 pound shelter, you just cannot beat the price.

Some manufacturer specs (from SMD Site) for the Skyscape Scout

Materials

• Canopy - 190T Polyester
  • Floor - 190T Polyester
  • Netting - 40D No-See-Um
  • Zipper - #3 YKK

Structure

• Type - Hybrid Double Wall
  • Frame - Dual Pole (not included)
  • Entry - Side Entry
  • Floor Space - 23 ft2 - 2.2 m2
  • Vestibules - 2
  • Vestibule Size - 16 ft2 - 1.4 m

Overall, I'm really happy about the tent and I am looking forward to using this on my trips this year and on.

Some setup photos:

Storm mode
861130_10151296457333848_461752342_o.jpg

Dual vestibules
860677_10151296457863848_933161959_o.jpg

Side view, vestibule has enough space for a pack and shoes.
859906_10151296458218848_1904050261_o.jp

On a summer day, you can completely roll back both vestibules for maximum ventilation
858750_10151296458758848_1473761849_o.jp

Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout

The Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout is not available from the stores we monitor.