Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout

Weight 34 oz / .96 k
Pack size 15 x 5 in

A great lightweight shelter that doesn't break the…

A great lightweight shelter that doesn't break the bank!

• Lightweight at 34 oz.
  • Study
  • Fast and easy pitch
  • Affordable
  • Uses trekking poles

• Requires seam sealing

For the past year, I've been looking for a lighter tent to replace my MH Lightpath 2. After months of research, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout.

The Skyscape Scout is a 34 oz. non-free standing tent.  It utilizes trekking poles to pitch the tent. One of the many features I really like about this tent is that it only requires a total of 5 stakes to pitch (only 3 to set up initially, 2 stakes are used to pitch the vestibules).

Compared to the other tents I have reviewed and used like the TT Contrail and the aforementioned MH Lightpath 2, the Skyscape Scout is a side entry tent...I actually prefer a side entry tent as opposed to a "tunnel" style entry tent - it just makes entering the shelter that much easier.  Lastly, I like how the inner net tent and fly are all attached and can be pitched all at once for a quick pitch.

I personally opted for the Polyester version primarily because of the price.  For a 2 pound shelter, you just cannot beat the price.

Some manufacturer specs (from SMD Site) for the Skyscape Scout

• Canopy - 190T Polyester
  • Floor - 190T Polyester
  • Netting - 40D No-See-Um
  • Zipper - #3 YKK

• Type - Hybrid Double Wall
  • Frame - Dual Pole (not included)
  • Entry - Side Entry
  • Floor Space - 23 ft2 - 2.2 m2
  • Vestibules - 2
  • Vestibule Size - 16 ft2 - 1.4 m

Overall, I'm really happy about the tent and I am looking forward to using this on my trips this year and on.

Some setup photos:

Storm mode

Dual vestibules

Side view, vestibule has enough space for a pack and shoes.

On a summer day, you can completely roll back both vestibules for maximum ventilation

Thank you for the great review. Have you tried it in the rain? How did it stand up?

Hey Sammy312! Yes, it's been in rain, wind and snow. Still one of my favorite tents for the price and weight - it's now marked down to $90!!!

Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout

The Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout is not available from the stores we monitor.