Snow Peak Titanium Trek 900

Weight 6.2 oz
Dimensions 4.75 in x 4.25 in (Pot), 5 in x 1.5 in (Frying Pan)
Size Stowed 5 in x 5.5 in
Capacity 30 fl oz
Material Titanium
Includes Titanium Pot w/ Lid

I would simply suggest this for those of us keeping…

Summary

I would simply suggest this for those of us keeping it lightweight, healthy, AND happy with HOT meals/drinks!

Pros

• Weight (lack thereof)
  • Perfect amount of fluid capacity
  • Storage inside for many things

Cons

• Prefer a bail
  • Keeping lid on

0303171735.jpg

I typically trek solo and consider myself a lightweight hiker with a baseweight ranging somewhere between 7-10lbs depending on the trip. I usually used an AlpKit titanium 750 mug with lid, DIY cozy, Caldera cone with a Mega Starlyte for fuel economy.

Of course the challenge presented with someone like me was I like food, good hot scrumptious food and coffee and tea...list goes on.

So while my mug was light and pack space for it was almost non-existent I had to boil water twice...not necessarily fuel efficient right? I'd also been using DIY fancee feest stoves and needed larger diameter pots/mug options for optimal flame performance. Enter what I hoped the 900 would fit the bill.

Now I also wanted something when paired with my 750 could pair as a lightweight two-person option. Seems to work!
0304170953b.jpg
Some hikers will say they are content with a grease pot...I own one and my stepson can use it when I'm not worried about stuff getting trashed. I found out that titanium would be my go-to for a few good reasons:

• Aftertaste. I once fried up some trout and sweet potatoes in my "pot." While still using a simmer I burned the bottom. I've heard others complain about the non-stick option for titanium pots/pans. I figured I'd clean much like I do my cast iron, minus the soap. I boiled some water, stuck in my cozy and added some bronners. After awhile I went to scraping around...waaalaaahhh, back to newish! There was like one tiny sliver of burn, NO aftertaste, NEVER any in titanium.
  • Weight. Always weight...amiright?
  • Can use alcohol, canister, solid, fire.

I will be adding a DIY bail handle to it.

0304170957.jpg

I've seen others complain about the handle on the frying pan; I've played around with mine a bit. Not heated yet so maybe the metal hasn't flexed (would it get hot enough or does titanium flex??), but you have to squeeze out on the handles for storage mode so just squeeze on the handles when in use.

0304170956b.jpg
Also mine did not come with a stuff sack, I'll use a large rubber band from work or just my pot cozy will be sufficient for storage.

Nice review, Ashley! Thanks for sharing it and some pictures.

Nick Mesarhakis

Looks good and the price is somehow ok. You get what you pay for anyway. Nice review.

Ashley Ann

They make an aluminum model too, I almost went with the 1400 but couldn't justify needing that much cooking space as I'm usually solo. So I did try out the frying pan and was able to, surprisingly enough, cook some deer sausage and taters over it without both burning myself and scorching the skillet. I used probably a teaspoon of olive oil and a simmer cat. Took me about 15 minutes. I do not much care for using the frying pan as a lid when c.f.

Ashley Ann

Oops...when boiling or trying to use my cozy so I'm going to probably bring an aftermarket lid. Also I think REI sent a display model and was the reason I did not receive a storage bag, which is no biggy.

Thanks for the additional info, Ashley.

The carrying case does not fit the cookware snugly,…

The carrying case does not fit the cookware snugly, allowing the lid and my contents of stove and fuel to jostle about. Quite annoying.

The cookware itself is was completely free of defects out of the box. To hold a 110g fuel and the Giga Power stove snugly, you'll need the Trek 700. If you buy a larger fuel canister, however, it will fill up most of the empty room in the Trek 900 (with the Giga Power in there, too).

The frying pan lid was my main attraction to this line of products and anything smaller than the 900 would be tricky to cook, stir, etc in. It's neat that the 700 fits in the 900 and the 900 in the 1400 but that's way more gear than I need so personally I don't use anything but my 900.

Update: December 15, 2010

I am a solo packer, but often go out with my buddy as well. We share this one pot and pan and that's ALL for cooking gear on the trail. It really does every meal we need and has enough room to cook a pasta dinner with sausage and cheese for two people.

When I first got the 900, I melted snow in it and, like an idiot, didn't put water in first. The heat warped the bottom of the pot and now it makes a noise like the top of a saftey far lid popping back and forth. It didn't render this pot useless though, as I have used it in conjunction with the Giga Power stove for a couple of years even with a warped bottom.

It fits a fuel can, my stove, first aid kit, toothbrush, lighter and several other small items inside and another fuel canister can be put on to of the pot/pan and sinched up in the carry sack to make a nice little package.

It's not my favorite cookset, it's small for a meal…

Price Paid: more than enough

It's not my favorite cookset, it's small for a meal and too big for a cup of coffee, but it sure fits the Bushbuddy perfect.

I first heard of this product through my brother,…

I first heard of this product through my brother, and I watched him use it in Glacier Nat'l Park. So I bought it and used it only 2 days ago in a Nat'l Forest.

This cookset is the perfect, ideal cookset for a solo backpacker or for 1-2 people. The handle on the pot can get hot but after you turn off the stove, the titanium cools down incredibly fast. The measuring marks on the inside of the pot were very convenient.

The pan looks rather useless but when put to use is actually very handy for eating out of. I can't testify to its usefulness as a pot. Only 8 oz but seems to be exactly what is needed for small servings. If you boil some extra water, you can use that for hot chocolate and drink straight out of the pot.

I LOVE this cookset! My friend was using the Snow Peak Mini Solo Cookset. Don't waste your time. Stick with the Trek 900. It won't let you down.