Therm-a-Rest NeoAir AirTap Pump Kit

Will fit Big Agnes valves. Makes inflating your mattress…

Summary

Will fit Big Agnes valves. Makes inflating your mattress pad easy and quick.

Pros

• Works with Big Agnes valves, not just Therm-a-Rest
  • Easy to use, saves time and huffing and puffing
  • Keeps moist air out of your pad
  • Multi-purpose.

Cons

• Expensive
  • Heavy for its size
  • Should come with adhesive or stick pads

I am happy to say that it fits the Big Agnes valve, but it is a tight fit (Therm-a-Rest valves are smaller). Plastic could be slightly thinner to save weight. Cost is high for a piece of plastic, two pieces of rubber, and a plastic bag.  It should have included adhesive or stick pads, and maybe a plastic clip that could be used to clamp down on the rubber nozzle.

I bought this kit to use with my Big Agnes Q-Core pad, 25x78x3.5, after being inspired by the Schnozzel from Exped (I have that pad too, UL7 LW, and its inflation system is super easy to use).  I have never slept so well while camping since getting my Q-Core pad.  All that volume that makes it comfortable also means a lot of puffing to fill it so I bought the AirTap Kit which is meant for the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir.  This also means it is unlikely to pop off during inflation.

I have used it in the summer and winter and it takes the same effort regardless of temperature. In reality it only takes 5-10 seconds to get it on the valve. Using seam-sealer I cut a circular hole, not the X the directions state, into a 33L lightweight dry sack.  The kit does come with a large plastic sack that is reasonably thick, but it would eventually puncture and is louder.

Using a dry sack also make this setup multifunctional.  By slipping the cap over the hole on the inside I can turn the sack into a pillow (it leaked out halfway through the night, but I don't know if it was through the cap or the rolled top), a bear bag, or a solar shower (I chose a black sack/would need to pinch the hose with something so the water would trickle out).

Overall I am very happy with the way my setup turned out. It takes about 5-6 bagfuls of air to fill my large pad (<3 minutes) and I am keeping my moist breath out of the pad at the same time.  It cost me about $30 to make not including the seam sealer I already had.  That is $10 more than the Big Agnes Pumphouse and the same as the NeoAir Pump, but mine is quicker and more versatile than either one of those since it is bigger and seals up on both ends.

If you've owned or used a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir AirTap Pump Kit, please share your experience.