Western Mountaineering VersaLite

Warm, light, and super comfy... WM does it right!

Price Paid: about $500

Summary

Warm, light, and super comfy... WM does it right!

Pros

• High quality down and construction
  • Lightweight for the warmth
  • Efficiently sized, but not tight
  • Full zip
  • Compact when stuffed
  • Comfy, comfy, comfy

Cons

• Pricey, but as usual with WM you get what you pay for

This is my second WM bag (my first was a summer-oriented Megalite, that I like very much). I needed a bag with some extra warmth for colder conditions. I purchased the Versalite and used it for the first time during a week long fall hike around the Tetons. Weather forecast was iffy (trip was squeezed between two storm fronts). In the end, I had everything, rain, sun, snow, and wind, so was glad I had the beefier bag!

Compared to the Megalite, the Versalite has more down/loft (warmer temperature rating), is slightly heavier (only up to 2lbs), and is not as wide. Fabrics on both are very comfortable. Both bags have full zips, which in addition to making entry and exit easy, allow needed heat ventilation when temps are warm (used frequently with the Megalite on summer trips). The narrower cut of the Versalite helps keep weight down and is more efficient in colder conditions, as I experienced during my Teton circumnavigation. Never got cold or chilly...

Add me to the crowd of folks that rave about WM bags... After using bags from various manufacturers (e.g., Marmot, MH, TNF, REI) over my many decades of hiking, backpacking, climbing in the Pacific Northwest, WM has come out on top as the best investment. I expect these will be the last sleeping bag purchases I'll ever need.

Best bag EVER for shoulder season activities in the…

Price Paid: ~$500

Summary

Best bag EVER for shoulder season activities in the Canadian Rockies.

Pros

• Very light and compact
  • Very warm

Cons

• None noticed yet

I have three WM sleeping bags. I use this bag for shoulder season activities [late fall and early spring] here in the Canadian Rockies. I also use it in the winter when I'm using mountain huts and shelters when I'm ski touring.

IT ROCKS! It's so light, and it's so comfy and warm. You seriously CANNOT do better than Western Mountaineering when it comes to down sleeping bags. They are the best.

This one, like all of them, is true to its temp rating. It's rated to -12°C, and I've been in it to -16°C [as read off my keychain thermometer I keep on my pack] in just my undies, and been toasty warm.

With some layering clothing [and of course making sure you're on a good insulated sleeping pad] this bag would be good down to -20°C.

I find it to be nice and roomy... a bit more room than the Ultralite [another more popular bag from WM] but not so much room as to create drafts.

This bag is the bomb! The best product on the market for a bag of this temp rating. I swear by WM bags. Yes, they're very expensive, but you buy them for LIFE!

The Best Sleeping bag I have ever owned! Western Mountaineering…

The Best Sleeping bag I have ever owned! Western Mountaineering still makes their stuff in the USA. I have tried many other bags that claim to be high end, nothing compares to WM.

I own three WM bags. The best down you can get from Europe not China. By far the best loft. When it comes to staying warm in the backcountry my only choice is Western Mountaineering! Also great customer service.

I purchased this bag because I was tired of being…

Design: Mummy
Fill: 850 down
Temperature Rating: 10 F
Weight: 2 lbs

I purchased this bag because I was tired of being cold and the sales person at Midwest Mountaineering said that this was the bag to buy. I also needed a really lightweight bag for a long backpacking trip.

I have owned this bag and used it for about 2.5 years and still love it. The loft is amazing and held up over 2 months of hiking with it. I have washed it and it still continues to provide great warmth.

The only downside to this bag is that as with all down, it doesn't do well in wet climates. I got pretty cold winter camping due to the amount of moisture in the tent which fell onto the bag. It is great for a dry climate and cool temps.

After looking around at LOTS of bags, I narrowed it…

Design: Modified Mummy
Fill: 700 fill down
Temperature Rating: 20 F
Weight: 2 lbs. 3 oz.

After looking around at LOTS of bags, I narrowed it down to Western Mountaineering. I chose the VersaLite because of its super weight, along with a little larger cut than a traditional mummy bag. I did sacrifice a little on the durability factor with the ultra-light shell.

As far as the tempature rating: Well Western Mountaineerings claim to be conservative is right on the money. I have used this "20 F" bag down to 5 F with no problem. I wouldn't want to push it much lower, but I am thrilled with the results.

You will not find a better bag in this temp rating…

Design: mummy
Fill: 850+
Temperature Rating: 10 degrees F
Weight: 2 lbs

You will not find a better bag in this temp rating category!

Super comfy .. Extremely well made .. super light .. super compressible and good lookin!

BTW, I got a screamin deal through 02 gear.

If you've owned or used a Western Mountaineering VersaLite, please share your experience.