Zamberlan 996 Vioz GT

men's
Weight 740 g

Very nice looking and extremely well made boot. As…

Summary

Very nice looking and extremely well made boot. As Julien mentioned in his review, there is ZERO break-in period for these boots. Made in Italy.

Pros

• Made in Italy
  • Extremely comfortable
  • Waterproof GoreTex
  • Excellent softer rubber sole

These boots are so comfortable and so good looking that I wear them day-to-day quite a bit. The soles are some of the softer Vibrams I have ever worn. The softer soles mean very good shock absorption and excellent grip especially on slick smooth rocks.

There are so many brown boots out there, but I love that these are black. The only thing I didn't care for were the drab gray boot laces, so I replaced them with bright red and they look great! These are NOT summer boots! They are very very warm.

I paid $280 for these at REI (worth every penny) and then I scored a second pair at an REI garage sale a few months later for only $100.

The materials and the construction are INCREDIBLE!! Made in Italy!!!! Totally worth what I paid for them.

Highly recommended.

20141009_182300.jpg

Those are very good looking boots, Lee, especially with the red laces. What kind of hikes and/or backpacks have you been using them for?

Lee Patterson

Thanks Alicia! So far I have only worn these on very short hikes of 5 miles or less with only a day pack on. I will post another review after a longer hike with a full pack on.

Great! Thanks again for sharing your gear reviews on Trailspace, Lee.

Very good backpacking boot. No break-in period for…

Price Paid: 300 $ CAN

Summary

Very good backpacking boot.

Pros

• No break-in period
  • Good ankle support

Cons

• More heavy than synthetics but....
  • Leather maintenance
  • No break-in period for me.
  • With a liner and good wool sock, it is like wearing slipper.
  • Stong lacing.
  • Nice overall grip.
  • I use them in warm/cold condition (5°C to 12°C) and I was very comfortable and dry. Late I will add a winter review.
  • Nice support with a 70 pounds backpack. 20 km hike and no blisters.