Zamberlan 996 Vioz GT - Men's

Weight 740 g

Best for backpacking on trails; however, I have used…

Summary

Best for backpacking on trails; however, I have used them off trail. If I was limited to one pair of boots or shoes, I would keep these. They are that good.

Pros

• Craftmanship
  • Comfort
  • Resistance to moisture
  • Interior lining is a dream
  • Accepts Superfeet Green w/o changing fit

Cons

• Leather requires care and cleaning.
  • A bit pricey (but the contstruction is first rate)

I wear a size 9 1/2 Lowe boot (Baffin) and this boot is also a size 9 1/2, so they seem true to size. Minimal break in and it accepts aftermarket footbeds. The boot has a slight rocker and it is a dream to walk in.

I do clean and treat the leather after a muddy or snowy hike. I have used them on a two-night, early winter backpack in snow and mud. My feet were dry and warm. The leather and stitching are top notch. None of the stitches have unraveled. The soles are in great shape and I am very happy with the durability.

In the three years I have owned them, they have been on 5 or 6 backpacking trips and several demanding day outings. I would buy these again.

Boots are a very personal item so I can not say they would fit every foot or meet the needs of every outdoor adventurer. If they fit and you have a niche for a medium duty boot and don't mind taking care of the leather, by all means get them. When I returned from an Afghanistan deployment, I bought these within an hour of arriving home. Guess I wanted to go hiking.

Welcome to Trailspace, Casey! Thanks for sharing a review of your Zamberlans with us. I'd love to see some pictures of your pair to show others how well they've held up.

I buy men's boots because I need an 11.5 M in women's…

Summary

I buy men's boots because I need an 11.5 M in women's and those are unavailable in most brands. My 10.5 size M Zamberlan 996 VIOZ GTX fit like a dream! No break in needed. I do wear with boot socks. Mainly use for hiking purposes. Love the Italian leather and inside cushioning.

Pros

• Perfect comfortable fit
  • Buy at REI—near home

Cons

• Price is high
  • Where can I find additional colored laces?

As I indicated I am a lady who needs to buy men's boots because of the sizing. In a shoe I buy 11.5. M. The 996 VIOZ GTX fit me like a tee sizing down to a 10.5 (EURO 45). I wear cotton boot socks and the boots fit like they are custom made for me.

In the past I wore Vasque boots, but they are not the same once China started making them.

Currently I hike and walk a 95 pound German Shepherd. The Vibram sole gives me great traction on all surfaces. I just hope in the future I can find the fancy red/gray laces again :)

Welcome to Trailspace, Susan. Thanks for sharing a review of your Zamberlans. Out of curiosity, about how many miles do you have on your pair? Got any pictures of your to share in your review?

By the way, Zamberlan does sell replacement laces: http://www.zamberlanusa.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=67&idcat=10

Fantastic fit. Most comfortable full leather boot…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Fantastic fit. Most comfortable full leather boot I have ever had. But alarmingly prone to slipping on wet rocks.

Pros

• Supreme comfort
  • Perfect support for heavier loads

Cons

• Seemingly good grip then will SUDDENLY let go on wet rock!!!

I bought these for winter hiking mostly, and found them to be superb for this. In the spring I wore them on a hike with my wife and noticed that they would slip without warning on smooth rock if even slightly wet.

I do not mean the typical tendency to slip from wet conditions. I mean a solid feeling grip that would suddenly and unexpectedly let go.

I would have figured I was just having a sloppy day. But we later passed someone with the same boots who asked if mine were slippery. He was having the exact same experience. We were not on our rears all day or anything like that, but we both noticed a significant tendency for the boot to just slip on wet rock more easily than other boots.

I sent them to Zamberlan USA who I believe honestly tested them and feel that they are just fine. I strongly disagree. It is too bad.

I tried them twice more with the exact same result — great feel and sudden slips when even slightly wet. Now I will use them on snow/ice only. They work great with Microspikes and small crampons.

These boots have been around for a while, and owners are not apparently dropping like flies. But I would absolutely not recommend these except for snow conditions (where the rubber compound is not critical) or absolutely dry conditions, where they grab quite well.

Very nice looking and extremely well made boot. As…

Summary

Very nice looking and extremely well made boot. As Julien mentioned in his review, there is ZERO break-in period for these boots. Made in Italy.

Pros

• Made in Italy
  • Extremely comfortable
  • Waterproof GoreTex
  • Excellent softer rubber sole

These boots are so comfortable and so good looking that I wear them day-to-day quite a bit. The soles are some of the softer Vibrams I have ever worn. The softer soles mean very good shock absorption and excellent grip especially on slick smooth rocks.

There are so many brown boots out there, but I love that these are black. The only thing I didn't care for were the drab gray boot laces, so I replaced them with bright red and they look great! These are NOT summer boots! They are very very warm.

I paid $280 for these at REI (worth every penny) and then I scored a second pair at an REI garage sale a few months later for only $100.

The materials and the construction are INCREDIBLE!! Made in Italy!!!! Totally worth what I paid for them.

Highly recommended.

20141009_182300.jpg

Those are very good looking boots, Lee, especially with the red laces. What kind of hikes and/or backpacks have you been using them for?

Lee Patterson

Thanks Alicia! So far I have only worn these on very short hikes of 5 miles or less with only a day pack on. I will post another review after a longer hike with a full pack on.

Great! Thanks again for sharing your gear reviews on Trailspace, Lee.

Very good backpacking boot. No break-in period for…

Price Paid: 300 $ CAN

Summary

Very good backpacking boot.

Pros

• No break-in period
  • Good ankle support

Cons

• More heavy than synthetics but....
  • Leather maintenance
  • No break-in period for me.
  • With a liner and good wool sock, it is like wearing slipper.
  • Stong lacing.
  • Nice overall grip.
  • I use them in warm/cold condition (5°C to 12°C) and I was very comfortable and dry. Late I will add a winter review.
  • Nice support with a 70 pounds backpack. 20 km hike and no blisters.