Zamberlan Vioz GT

men's
Weight 740 g

Great boots that have great durability, water protection,…

Price Paid: $260 (20% REI coupon)

Summary

Great boots that have great durability, water protection, and support.

Pros

• Good support
  • Good protection
  • Good waterproofness
  • Thick leather

Cons

• No rands
  • A little heavy

This boot fits me very well. After a little break-in time it has virtually no heel slip. It is a tight fit all the way around with pressure that was evenly distributed and no pressure points. I user this boot both on a daily basis and for big trips.

I carried a 45 pound pack 8-13 miles a day in Montana and was very pleased with the support. I also use these for some warmer snowshoe trips and even early and late backpacking trips in the winter with gaiters. They kept my feet both warm and dry in the 15-45 degree temps.

I use Zamberlan Proofing cream on these boots at least monthly. The watershed finish that this creates helps keeps the boot from freezing in the morning. This also keeps the leather in really good condition so the boots will last a long time.

So far the durability has proven really well with these. The leather is thick enough that the few cuts I have in the unprotected toes of the boots have not even come close to going through. That is my only big disappointment about these is that they do not have rands. This is the only thing that I think will significantly reduce the life of these boots.

Thanks for sharing your boot review, mahonset000. I'd love to see a picture of them, if you're willing to add any to the review.

I was able to put this boot on and walk out the door…

Price Paid: $245 USD

Summary

I was able to put this boot on and walk out the door without break in. No hot spots or blisters. I was looking for a new boot and did a lot of research. I won't go to another boot.

• No break-in
  • Solid construction
  • Dry feet

Cons

• A bit heavy

Although these boots are a bit heavy, I don't find it an issue. They are very comfortable on my feet, they provide good ankle support, good solid construction. I wear these boots all the time working or hiking, I've had them 3 years now and they show very little wear.

The best part about these boots is that I was able to take them out of the box and go hiking without break in. I'm yet to have a blister or hot spot. Feet stay dry, I've taken them through shallow creeks and hiked in the rain. I find the traction to be adequate on wet surfaces, like with any boot wet surfaces are going to be an issue, I don't go out of my way to experiment on a wet log.

I've logged a few miles with these boots, on trails and cross country and can honestly say that they exceed my expectations.

Great boot, super tough and very comfortable. I bought…

Price Paid: $270 on Sale

Summary

Great boot, super tough and very comfortable.

Pros

• Extremely durable
  • Very comfortable
  • Adapts to a wide foot.

Cons

• Long break-in period

I bought these boots before a trip to Papua New Guinea to walk the Kokoda track. Having wide, short feet finding comfortable boots was a nightmare. After trying on at least 20 different types I bought the Zamberlans and haven't looked back since.

It took about 30km of hiking to break the full leather in (and stretch them around my wide feet) but after that initial period they have been super comfortable with even the heaviest of loads. The ankle support is excellent without being restrictive and the aggressive soles make excellent use of whatever grip they can find.

Over the last few years these boots have made it through Kokoda, to the base camp of Everest and the summit of Kilimanjaro as well as numerous local hikes and are still in fantastic condition. The only sign of wear is some slight scuffing of the leather on the toes (Mainly from kicking mud steps on the Kokoda track and scree running down Kili.).

One downside to these boots is that beingĀ full leather they don't breathe as well in the hot humid places of the world as a fabric/hybrid boot would. If you're not travelling to warm locales or don't mind a sweaty foot at the end of the day then you would be hard pressed to find a more comfortable, better made boot.

Minimal break-in, maximum stability and comfort. Best…

Summary

Minimal break-in, maximum stability and comfort. Best pair of boots I've everowned.

Pros

• Everything

Cons

• None

Well worth the price. Total comfort right out of the box!

Great boot. I have owned them for about two years…

Price Paid: 149 NZD (a Bargin!!!)

Great boot. I have owned them for about two years and use them for tramping and hunting in New Zealand on a regular basis.

Very comfortable and warm (I use them mostly in winter so there is a lot of water and some snow use) and like all good leather boots a little TLC will keep them looking like new for ever.

I tried these boots at an REI retail store, then purchased…

I tried these boots at an REI retail store, then purchased them online a few weeks later. I have long, narrow, fairly flat feet, that have been widening slightly as I age and run. So the boot fitting is always interesting to say the least.

I was replacing a 10-year-old set of La Sportive M-hikes that just didn't fit any more. I liked what I felt in the store, but you never know. The Zamberlans arrived on a Friday afternoon, and I left for a backpacking trip on Monday morning. I only got to try them around the house for a couple of hours, so this was pretty much right out of the box and onto the trail.

For three days, I put them through hiking with a loaded pack, on trail, off trail, snow, slush, stream crossings, mud, scree, steep ups and downs, boulders, scrambling, you name it. I had not one hot spot or blister. This is by far the most comfortable and dry pair of boots I have ever owned. But, this is still only a 20 mile +- report, so time will tell. The Zamberlans stayed 100% dry, never felt too hot, and were so comfortable that I didn't feel the need to change out of them at the end of the day.

I think that there are lots of good boots out there, and basically it comes down to whether the boot fits your foot or not. These fit mine perfectly. The heel is snug but not tight, the instep is perfect, the arch supportive, the toe box roomy. I love 'em.

Best hiking boot I've owned. Didn't have much break…

Best hiking boot I've owned. Didn't have much break in time before a 10-day 75-mile hunting trip up and down a mountain side. No blisters or hot spots. Feet stayed warm and dry.