Black Diamond Orbit

Summary

Great little backpacking light. Small but powerful.

Pros

• Small
  • Bright
  • Lasts a long time

Cons

• None

My initial impressions upon taking the lantern out of the box was "IT'S SO TINY". I almost was disappointed by its size thinking it would be useless. BOY WAS I WRONG!

Once I put the batteries in and tested it out I was surprised by the amount of light given off. This is a great little lantern. It is very compact, I love the way the globe collapses down onto the base which makes this even smaller for when it comes time to put it away.

I tested this out in a dark room and found that at full brightness I got about a 2 foot radius of usable light, probably closer to 2 and a half feet but I am not arguing. It was very bright and made everything easy to see. The frosting on the globe diffuses the light and makes it less harsh on the eyes.

I have yet to change the batteries on this so I can't say for sure how long it lasts, but the lantern has been in use for several weekend trips now and it is still shining bright. I've used it to illuminate the cooking area while making dinner, the table at our campsite for a game of cards, and of course inside the tent. It lights up a 2-person tent perfectly and it has a nice little set of rings on the top for hanging the lantern in the tent.

There is a dimmer built into the switch although it's not obvious at first. When you turn on the lantern it ALWAYS goes to full brightness, but if you click the switch and hold it then the light will cycle through a dimming setting. Once it gets to its dimmest the light will blink once and if you continue to hold the button it will start getting brighter again.

The casing seems rugged and well made. The battery compartment is made of a strong plastic and the compartment door threads onto the base. The switch seems durable, and appears to be weather resistant, although the instructions state "Do not submerge".

All in all this is a great little backpacking light. It would be well suited to backpacking camping since it is so small and lightweight. But it would also make a great emergency light for your home. At the price I paid it was a great bargain. Would definitely purchase another. Oh, and they come in some really great colors.

Have you owned or used a Black Diamond Orbit? Share your experience »