Coleman Premium Powerhouse Dual Fuel Lantern

I have used many propane and white gas lanterns over…

Price Paid: $82 USD

I have used many propane and white gas lanterns over the years, I must say that the Coleman 2 Mantle Premium Powerhouse Dual Fuel Lantern definitely gets the job done, and is even brighter than its cousin the Regular Dual Fuel Lantern by Coleman.

These types of lanterns are most beneficial to people who plan on driving to a campsite or a cabin. Another great use is for emergencies such as power outages. Large lanterns are too heavy & bulky for hiking any real distance, however they take up little space in the back of the family vehicle and have the benefit of lighting up large areas in a campsite. This lets campers carry on with chores and activities after dark in a safe manner.

I have several lanterns and this one is my go lantern if the campsite area is big, the primary reason is because it is so bright. Secondly, it is a dual white gas / unleaded gas lantern, and as such it is very economical when compared to the cost of disposable propane cylinders.

I have found this lantern to be very durable, I have not had any issues with it outside of routine maintenance. One thing to be aware of, as with many dual fuel appliances is that using unleaded gas can lead to carbon build ups that require cleaning the fuel system. It is best to use white gas, but the ability to use unleaded gas if you don't have - or can't get white gas, is a huge advantage, especially for emergencies.

I have had my lantern for about 7 years and use it several times a year.

It holds 2 pints of fuel.

It has a burn time of 7 hours on high - 14 hours on low.

It uses 2 number 21 mantles.

By following the instructions I found this lantern easy to use, and those that are already familiar with using manual pump gas stoves & lanterns will be right at home.

Pros:

Exceptional light output! Even brighter than the regular Dual Fuel Lantern.

Much more economical than 16.4 oz. propane cylinders.

Durable, well made.

Cons:

Sharper learning curve than propane lanterns, but not difficult.

As with any gas appliance fuel should not be stored in the lantern for long periods of time, so burning off any unused fuel is best. This is not a problem with propane cylinders.

Costs more than cheaper lanterns, but in my opinion it is well worth it due to the reliability and performance.

I rated this lantern 5 stars even though it does not have push button lighting because it is so darn bright!

If you don't mind using white gas, appreciate durable equipment, and want something really bright, this just may be the best choice.

As bright as my regular Coleman Duel Fuel Lantern is, this one is about 25% brighter which kinda blew me away. It does however use more fuel which is not surprising.

If you've owned or used a Coleman Premium Powerhouse Dual Fuel Lantern, please share your experience.

Coleman Premium Powerhouse Dual Fuel Lantern

The Coleman Premium Powerhouse Dual Fuel Lantern is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 19, 2014 at SunnySports.

If you're looking for a new fuel-burning lantern , check out the best reviewed current models.