Fischer BCX 6

This is a great combination of support and flex in…

Summary

This is a great combination of support and flex in a Nordic touring boot, but has a few flaws.

Pros

• Great edge to edge support
  • Better ankle support than any other touring boot
  • Reasonable front to back flexion

Cons

• The sole leaks around the NNN-BC bar
  • All seams need to be sealed to waterproof the uppers
  • The boot liners wear out pre maturely

I am an outdoor guide and spend maybe 60-70 days a season in nordic boots. The old binding systems (75mm three pin) only last so long for me three to four seasons before the soles start to crack. The NNN-BC has been a great solution to this problem by replacing the sole flexion with a mechanical pivot point.

This boot offers some of the support that used to be available only in the older top grain leather 75mm boots without the stiffness of the plastic tele boots leaving more freedom of movement for touring. This boot has a superbe combination of edge to edge support with frount to back flex for a longer stride.

It is however not perfect, there are two weaknesses that only show up with use. The first is that the lining fabric is not abrasion resistant and will wear through to the shell in just a few dozen days of use maybe as few as two dozen for a larger skier.

The second is that the NNN-BC bar in the sole is not sealed into the boot rubber and will loosen and start to leak after a few uses where heavy edging or wider skies are used. This is a particularly frustrating problem since in the spring if skiing in wet snow like we so frequently get here in the Northwest these boots will start to fill up with cold water from the saturated snowpack.

Used these for some cross-country skiing at Windblown…

Summary

Used these for some cross-country skiing at Windblown XC center. It was the first time out this year and one of the few places skiable here yet.

The boots were incredibly warm (it was 18 degrees) and the boots worked great. Good kick and glide and very comfortable. Also managed some powder across a lake and a few steep downhills. Boots are able to put a good amount of pressure on the skis and allow good turning.

Pros

• Insulation, this boot is the warmest BC boot I have used
  • Great lacing system and cover
  • Good support system and power strap

Cons

• Plastic support buckle strap threads through weak and broke, but I manged to thread strap through hole
  • List price
  • Questionable durability and construction

A VERY WARM and supportive boot that will allow you to focus on having fun making good turns.

This boot is a good boot for XC/Backcountry skiing and will have the power to drive skis up to 69-78mm. I have used several different brands and this is the warmest and most supportive of all.

I've used them with Magnum BC bindings mounted on Atomic Sierra skis (69mm shovel) and for low angle skiing and turning these are a blast. Not too heavy climbing but supportive enough they let me rip some turns. Also have them mounted on Alpina Trackers and they work equally as well.

Compared to Rossignol BC X5's they have more support and are warmer. The only problem was the buckle end the strap fed through broke due to-5 degree temps but the plastic support had a slot that allows me to threar strap through.

* Edited this on 02/21/2013 the day after I skied and they failed on me.

These boots are barely used two seasons worth of skiing. After a sparse winter last year I have been taking advantage of the recent blizzard and 1 other storm. They have worked fairly well as you can see on my earlier reviews. Yesterday after 7 or 8 miles of skiing a State Park that has some rolling hills I had a small spill and noticed that the right boot toe had pulled away from the sole to nearly the mid boot area with the sole staying attached to the binding. I'm glad I spilled as I would have been even father away from my truck if it seperated.

Don't think I can recomend these anymore. When I had a buckle break and contacted Fischer they said to contact the retailer I bought from and see what they said. Not sure I have reciept anymore, but, a manufacturer should stand by their products no matter what!!! I ordered new ones last night and decided on the Rossignol BC x6.

After several outings in less-than-optimal boots,…

After several outings in less-than-optimal boots, I found these. I originally planned on getting the Rossignol BC X-5 but could not find my size. I tried these on and loved them. They have a much sturdier design than the Rossignols. This will give you many more degrees of control over your skis then most other boots. Wear them with the power strap loose and if you hit a downhill just snug them up.

Voted the best NNN BC boot and also the most warm of what's available. I cannot wait to try these out! I compared them to the Alpina BC 1550 and Rossignol BC x-5 and there was no comparison. Much comfier inside, sturdy heavy duty laces covered by a zip-up lace cover. It's also a fairly tall boot.

If you've owned or used a Fischer BCX 6, please share your experience.