Jetboil 1.5L Cooking Pot

Overall it's a decent product, but it is painfully…

Summary

Overall it's a decent product, but it is painfully obvious that it was an after thought by the manufacturer.

Pros

• Easy to clean

Cons

• Uneven heating
  • Unbalanced
  • Hard to regulate temp
  • Only useful with the jetboil burner

I've used this pot for about 2 years. It's lightweight and easy to store. The top and bottom lids double as plates. Downside is it's hard to regulate the heat on such a small burner and the pot heats unevenly. It does let you expand your camp cooking to way beyond freeze dried food, and when you're in the bush for days or weeks on end, a good meal is of great comfort. Big downfall is that it can only really be used with the Jetboil burners.

I agree with 300Winmag. This is a truly innovative…

Price Paid: $39.10 (auction)

I agree with 300Winmag. This is a truly innovative container! I use this when I go on trips with 2 or more, and it cooks up a wonderful meal. I've never had anything burn on the bottom.

I've used this with a variety of stoves (alcohol stove, a Jetboil/gaz stove and a Svea 123R) in various weather conditions and I've never had a problem. Heat distribution is relatively even and water boils quickly. As a result of the vanes on the bottom of the pot, the flame rarely singes the neoprene cozy.

As for packing, it fits in my pack very neatly between my compression sacks (sleeping pad and bag) and holds my water filter, utensils, stove (except the Svea) and eating cups. I agree that the top lid could be designed "better", but I hang the pot overnight with my bear bag or let it cool well before repacking it.

Be careful - the cozy will singe and even burn if you have your stove cranked up or try to use it over an open fire. I had a hard time replacing the cozy on my early Jetboil cooking cup, but they're now more readily available in both sizes.

This is the ONLY pot I now use for all my stoves,…

This is the ONLY pot I now use for all my stoves, from my MSR Dragongly multi-fuel and Wind Pro canister to my little Vargo Jet-Ti canister to my Vargo Triad with ESBIT tablets.

It is very fuel efficient and on longer trips saves fuel weight and in winter melts snow for water FAST! The "Flux Ring" corrugated fins on the bottom trap heat that would be lost up the sides. The neoprene cozy cuts way down on radiation of heat from the sides. It is the perfect 4 season cook pot. Coupled with my MSR heavy foil windscreen this is a supremely efficient cook system. Just DON'T use it over an open fire without removing the neoprene cozy. To cut down weight I removed the wire handles and use a light aluminum pot gripper.

On the minus side, JetBoil really needs to make the plastic lid from a material that does not shrink so much. (i.e. needs a lid with a lower coefficient of linear expansion). It's nearly impossible to snap the lid back on in cold weather, even after shaving down the inner lip with my pocket knife.

The pot was an excellent companion to the Jetboil…

The pot was an excellent companion to the Jetboil cooking system but has some drawbacks to pay attention to. Make sure to use some non-stick spray on the bottom because the heating element works very well. You have to pay attention to what you are cooking or you will have a burnt mess. I still recommend the system but I also suggest buying the spatula set to avoid melting your spork or other utensils to the bottom.

I love the Jetboil PCS, and so I bought the 1.5 L…

I love the Jetboil PCS, and so I bought the 1.5 L Pot, to accommodate lager groups and cooking more than dehydrated meals. Food burnt to the bottom VERY easily, even on the lowest setting.

Jetboil excels boiling water, this pot does not give you the versatility to cook more involved foods. I was a bit disappointed. Overall it's a good pot for boiled meals, but not the wonder that PCS is.

If you've owned or used a Jetboil 1.5L Cooking Pot, please share your experience.