Open Country 3 Cup Hard Anodized Pot

Minimum Weight 108 g / 3.8 oz
Volume 850 ml
Dimensions 2.625 x 5.375 in / 6.667 x 13.65 cm
Material Aluminum

After years of using 1-quart pots for solo cooking I have discovered that 3-cup pots are all I really need. Why heat nearly 4 cups of water when 3 is all you need? Why carry a larger pot that takes up more space in your pack?

Pros

• Perfect size for solo backpacking
  • Optimum shape for maximizing thermal efficiency
  • Durable anodized finish
  • Aluminum spreads heat far better than Ti
  • Mates with Trail Designs Sidewinder Caldera cone stove

Cons

• Lid handle need duct tape added for easy pick-up
  • I wish it had a true non-stick finish, but the hard anodizing is still easy to clean.

I got this pot rather "by accident" when I ordered it with the Trail Designs Sidewinder titanium Caldera Cone stove. That stove required this pot to properly mate with its top diameter.

What I discovered was that I really did not need a 1-quart pot for solo cooking. The smaller 3-cup size and lower/wider shape (and included lid) gave me optimum efficiency for fast boils.

I'd recommend this pot whether or not you have a Caldera Cone type stove. I now use this pot with my canister stove as well.

NOTE: I mention the more efficient shape of this pot after reading tests done on pot shape efficiency. Tall narrow pots and mugs are not as thermally efficient as lower, wider pots of equal volume.

g00se

Hey, do you have any pictures of your pot? And do you know the weight of it?

dirtwheels

Is this your product? I'm a fan of hard anodized al., have you used this long? Have you noticed wear on the finish from use? http://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/open-country-3-cup-hard-anodized-pot

300winmag

GOOSE, the pot and lid weigh 3.9 oz. (no photos but look online at theTrail Designs site under "cookware".

300winmag

dirtwheels, The pot is made by Open Country and sold through Trail Designs, among others. I've used this pot for 3 years and seen no appreciable wear on the anodizing. It is HARD!

Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Review