Klymit Motion 60

S/M M/L
Weight 2.72 lb / 1233 g 2.78 lb / 1262 g
Volume 60 L + 3 L pocket

The Motion 60 is a lightweight, large capacity backpack…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by Klymit for testing and review)

Summary

The Motion 60 is a lightweight, large capacity backpack built around the Airbeam Framesheet, that Klymit has become famous for. Its best features are the cavernous hipbelt and water bottle pockets, the Airbeam technology and the layout of the pack.

It is however, way oversized for an UL pack and suffers from excess in many areas. It would be best for someone needing a large sized pack without the need to haul big loads.

Pros

• Airbeam Framesheet
  • Price
  • Water bottle and hipbelt pockets
  • Removeable stay, framesheet and hipbelt
  • Layout

Cons

• Oversized
  • Straps too long
  • Lid, pump for framesheet not removeable

motion60_2.jpg

Features: YKK Aquaguard zips and Hydration Compatible

Warranty: Limited Lifetime

20140727_182441.jpg

Fit And Comfort

I have a 20.5 inch torso and opted for the medium/large (19"-23") but the pack is also available in a small/medium size (16"-20"). I found the size, both with and without the hipbelt, to be perfect. The shoulders straps have a slight S curve to them which prevents any rubbing under the arms or chest. I did find the shoulder straps to be a little too close together and someone with broader shoulder may have more of a problem with this than I did.

My issue with the fit lies in the size of the hipbelt. The belt has a range of 28 to 40 inches, and being of the tall and slender variety, I have a 32 inch waist. That leaves almost 8 inches of webbing tangling off the end of the belt. I tried leaving it and it got too distracting. I tried tucking it into the belt and that created an awkward fit and rubbing.

What is someone to do with that much extra belt? Well, if you were to purchase the pack you could just trim it to fit, but when the Review Corps receives an item we never know whether we are able to keep, or have to return the product to the manufacturer, after testing. So I couldn't go modifying a pack that isn't mine.

What ended up being the best, albeit temporary fix, was to tie the extra straps off into a bow. Yes, it looked silly, but the bears enjoyed the fashion statement! The back panel, hipbelt, shoulder straps all do a mediocre job of venting heat. There is no space or cut outs along the 3D mesh so while that allows a lot of body contact, and a better carry, it also creates a lot of heat. Rather then venting that heat and moisture out the mesh seems to wick it. There was one hot and humid trip summer trip I felt I could almost wring out the moisture from the shoulder straps. I didn't.... for fear of what would happen.

20140817_133031.jpg
At the base of the neck the pack tapers down to less than 4 inches, caused a little rubbing.

20140510_152110.jpg
Removeable hipbelt with a view of the mesh back panel.

20140510_113244.jpg
Amount of excess strap I had on my 33-inch waist.

The pack carries well, up to about 40lbs in my opinion. Klymit advertises the Motion at 55lbs "comfortably". I would say that's maxing out a single hoop stay and the Airbeam, do-able but not in the most comfort. The Airbeams biggest positive comes in uneven terrain when bending, twisting or ducking. Instead of a rigid pack, the Motion is more fluid and free to move with you, rather than against you.

The thing I found weird is that the Airbeam needs to be folded and, let's say negotiated, into the sleeve. In a pack designed largely around this selling feature it seems a little weird that this doesn't fit perfectly. It needs to be folded a couple inches at the top to fit. Not sure if this is on purpose or not. (Just did some research and apparently it was designed to do that to create a curve at the small of your back.)

20140510_113816.jpg

Capacity

This is where I hit the real paradox of this pack. 60L and ultralightweight just don't work together. They are like toothpaste and orange juice (c'mon we've all done that one!). It seems to be a massively fundamental flaw. One one hand you can stuff this pack full of all the creature comforts, and it fits alot, and it be outside the carrying comfort range of the suspension OR you can carry a true lightweight load and have massive amounts of volume wasted.

Most UL backpacking equipment takes up little to no space and becomes multi-purpose. Your hiking poles are your tent poles, your poncho is your tarp, for example. So why do you need 60L of space for that? The lowest backpacking weight I've carried in the pack was 16lbs (Hilleberg Unna, Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite, Mountain Equipment Co-op down bag, Vargo titanium stove, and MSR solo cookpot) excluding the pack weight. This stuff barely makes a dent in 60L.

I'm no gram weenie, but if someone tells me I could carry all my stuff in a 2.6lb bag, or in the same bag that weighs 2lbs, I'm gonna take less weight. Klymit could bring this down to a 45L pack and drop a little more weight, off an already impressive lightweight package.

I'm guessing they wanted some size differential as the pack I am describing is basically being made in their Motion 35L. Second Gear did a wonderful review of it here, and I think the reason she enjoyed it so much is it has all of the features of the 60L with none of the excess of the 60L.

20140727_180428.jpg

20140510_114011.jpg

The water bottle pockets are the largest I've ever seen on a pack, two one liter bottles can fit with ease. On one trip I kept my 3L hydration bladder in a pocket. I loved having it easily accessible to both fill, and check my remaining stores, although it did slightly throw off the balance (to be expected).

I'd like to test this setup again carrying a little less, maybe 2L, as I hate having the bladder tucked away where it's a pain to pull out all your stuff to access it and you have no way of knowing how much you have left.

20140510_113529.jpg

Construction and durability

The pack has held up pretty well after a couple months of abuse. The water bottle pockets on my test pack are mesh and have snagged on some brush resulting in a few small tears, nothing that effects its function. I have seen some models of the pack online with a stretch, spandex, side water bottle pocket. Not sure if mine is a pre-production model and they've switched to something a little more durable.

Some aspects of the pack look a little unfinished. A couple loose threads and a MYOG looking elastic closure on the water bottle pockets.

20140817_133210.jpg

20140727_180342.jpg

Compression

Yes, plenty of it. Four compression straps on each side, elastic bungee on the front, and top compression strap to accompany the draw cord closure. Why? Because this thing is so big, you need to compress down your bag to match your UL load! Same issue here — the straps are the right length if you need 60L of space, but when you compress it down to meet your 40L of needed space, you have excess cords dangling around. I'd also like to see only 3 compression straps on each side to reduce the weight even more.

20140510_113450.jpg

Organization and Accessibility

I love this aspect of the pack. The lid has two pockets, including a key fob in one, the front pocket can be used with or without stuff bungeed on and the water bottle pockets are big enough to store wet gear should you need it. The two hipbelts swallow more than you can throw at them.

I love being able to have my windshirt, a couple bars, camera, map/compass and chapstick available while on the move. All of those fit, with ease, between the two pockets. No stopping to rummage through the depth of the pack to find the essentials. That's not even taking the back pocket, water bottle pocket of two lid pockets into account, its easy to stay organized with this pack....and I need that!

20140510_113431.jpg

20140510_113622.jpg

Features

Airbeam framesheet- Here's the real gem of the whole pack. Increased comfort and lighter weight. I have pulled this thing outta the pack and transferred it to other climbing packs, travel packs, etc. It's worth the price of admission. Surprisingly durable too. I've rolled it up and used it as a pillow, sat on twigs and rocks and had my dogs accidentally walk across it.

I haven't been daring enough to try it as a ultra minimal bivy pad but between it and your backpack it could get you through a night or two. It reduces most bouncing and feels much more natural to carry. I'd call it more a dynamic, rather than a static carry. What I mean by that is that the pack seems to move with you rather than stay rigid against your back.

Trouthunter did a wonderful review on a framesheet Klymit produced for another backpack company if you want to read more about the technology here.

The pump is not removable on mine, slightly frustrating as it gets in the way most the time, both while using as a pillow, and while in the bag.

Single ice axe loop- Again with the theme of the review — too large. The loop is 9 inches around. They can shrink all this extra cordage, increase performance and reduce weight all at once. Here's hoping.

20140727_180330.jpg

Conclusion

Klymit's first foray into backpacks is a relative success. I loved the layout, Airbeam framesheet and the pocket design but the pack is far oversized. If you have a large capacity need, which is not overly heavy, this pack is worth a look. If you have your UL kit fine tuned you might want to look at the smaller 35L Motion, I know I will.

Testing/ Tester

I have been testing the Motion 60L for over three months now in varying temperatures and conditions throughout Ontario, Canada. The peak temps it has seen were 33 degrees Celsius, down to a low of night hiking around 14 degrees Celsius. I generally kept a base weight between 18 to 22lbs on most trips, and once to test the upper limits, around 45lbs. I am a 6 foot male, 165lbs and ordered the size medium/large.

20140727_175558.jpg

*Thanks to Trailspace and Klymit for the opportunity to test this pack. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask

Daniel Oates

Great review as always Jake! As I was reading, I thought the same thing you did "that 35L that Second Gear reviewed would fit his purposes perfectly!" Those water pocket really ARE huge. Well done.

Another great, helpful review, Jake! Thanks for testing out the Klymit Motion pack and letting us know how it fared.

Nice review. Next time trim the excess straps and say "oops!" if they ask for it back. Having said that, I still haven't gotten around to trimming the Vargo Ti Arc that I got to keep. ;P

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Great job, Jake!

second gear

I was hoping the 60L was as terrific as the 35! I'd love to get my hands on a s/m to try! I bet I'd love it as much as I love the 35 :D Thanks for the good beta (and thanks for the nod :))

Seth Levy TRAILSPACE STAFF

Thanks for testing Jake! If you ever need to customize gear to get a good test, let me know!

Adventureneer

It seems like the extra volume might be nice for the low density extra volume that comes with winter camping. I wonder if you might rate it higher for application in a different season?

Jake W

Great question Adventureneer- I had thought about including that in the review, my problem there is that I live in Canada. This obviously shapes and influences my gear decisions, none more critically than in winter. To get through a couple days in the winter you need plenty of high volume, but also generally high weight items. In my opinion that weight would push the pack over what it's reasonably able to carry. Someone in the Southern U.S (I think) would welcome that space.

Klymit Motion 60

The Klymit Motion 60 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 14, 2014 at CampSaver.com.