Lowa Camino GTX

Out-of-the-box comfort! Excellent support for ankle,…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: $225-ish

Summary

Out-of-the-box comfort! Excellent support for ankle, heal, and toe! True to size! Look great!!

Pros

• Great construction!
  • Excellent traction
  • minimal break-in
  • Great look

Cons

• A tad pricey
  • Limited availability for Badass orange color

Right out of the box these boots fit perfectly. I was fortunate enough to know my Lowa size before purchasing.  I had never owned really high-end Lowas before. These boots fit just as perfectly as my first pair of Trekkers.

The boots are out-of-the-box comfortable. I was ready for the trail within an hour of wearing them around the store.

The arch support was lacking, as it is in EVERY pair of good boots I have ever owned. I replaced the factory footbed with a set of high-arched heat-moldabe orthotics. The ankle support was amazing and the overall last was great for my feet!

Water, snow, ice, mud, puddles, etc are no match for these boots! My first big trip with these boots was snowshoeing in some seriously deep wet snow. The boots were abused and behaved wonderfully through the most trying winter-cold situations.

Not a slip on regular dirt and exposed stone. My Microspikes worked perfectly on the steep ice.  Snowshoes took care of everything in-between.  I will say here that the Caminos were easier to get in and out of my snowshoe bindings than any boots I have used in the past.

Working with a variety of socks in a variety of conditions I never felt too hot, too cold, or too sweaty in these boots, despite the GoreTex membrane.

Easy on, easy off using Lowa's lacing system.

I have only had these boots on about 30 or so miles of off-trail terrain and so far I see no signs of stitching or de-lamination issues to come.  These boots are going to take me very far.

image.jpg

image.jpg

(The reviewer apologizes for failing to take any photos of the boots without snowshoe bindings completely obscuring the subject of this review.)

Boots for anyone who takes hiking/backpacking seriously…

Summary

Boots for anyone who takes hiking/backpacking seriously and need good, lightweight, stable footwear for serious adventures! These boots are rock solid comfortable without any break in.

Pros

• Comfort
  • GTX
  • No break-in
  • Custom lacing

Cons

• None

I bought these boots (size 7.5 D) because of Lowa's high standards and quality. I have owned "high dollar" boots that just didn't fit right. These boots fit GREAT!!!! I have a smaller, semi-narrow foot and I couldn't ask for a better fit. The arch fits my instep like a glove, my heel doesn't slip and fits right in the pocket. The lacing to the toe and tongue stud providing a costume fit or slight adjustment while hiking and feet swelling.

I have had the boots for a couple weeks now and wore them straight out of the box walking around in the woods, thinking I would have to break them in. This is not true! I have found no reason to provide a break in period, which I am still shocked at due to the great support and sole. I still recommend taking time and wearing them around a couple days before serious hiking/backpacking.

The boots themselves are a little warm for the "South" during summer time, but I am used to wearing boots for my job and it doesn't bother me. Still definitely invest in good wicking socks or sock liners.

I went to Linville Gorge in N.C. for a "little" hike and the boots preformed great! Slight rain but I didn't feel wetness thanks to the GTX. Steep terrain was no match...up or down hill. I did not have heel slip or feel my toes cram into the toe box. The boots grabbed the ground like I had tracks from a tank on my feet.

I am still evaluating the boots and hope the boots live up to the Lowa name and quality, but so far so good. I would recommend these boots to anyone who takes hiking seriously and need good, lightweight, stable footwear for serious adventures!

As an avid hiker, but prone to excessive supination,…

Price Paid: 300 plus tax

Summary

As an avid hiker, but prone to excessive supination, these boots provide the ankle support needed. Furthermore, Lowa Camino offered wide sizes. 20 miles so far with minimal break-in blisters.

Pros

• Great ankle support
  • Relatively lightweight for tall structural boot
  • Good looking

Cons

• Wide, just not wide enough
  • Expensive

Purchased Lowa Camino wide boots after deciding that my Merrell Men's Moab Ventilator wide wiidth athletic shoes were not providing enough ankle support. Prior to 2013, I wore Vasque Breeze wides, which provided just enough ankle support and were as comfortable as a sneaker. Unfortunately Vasque change the toe box in the Vasque breeze in the 2.0 model, and the wides no longer fit my feet.

I now have 40 miles of trail distance on my new Lowa Camino wides. The boot provides exceptional ankle support, better than any boot I have ever owned. Unfortunately, the wide width is still narrow for my duck feet. I usually wear a size 10 wide, but choose a 10.5 in the Lowa Camino after a "toe-kick-the-ground-test" during which I could feel my toes hitting the toe box. I am glad to have gone up a half size.

Living in the desert Southwest, I would rather have a more ventilated boot like the Vasque Breeze. I certainly do not need waterproofing, which results in hotter feet. The boots are waterproof, and I knew this would result in hot feet.

The Lowa Camino has been designed with ankle support in mind. A specialized lacing system works very well, to keep the foot loose and the ankle tight.

I would recommend these boots, and would probably buy them again. $300 bones is expensive, but worth the ankle protection.

Bullet-proof with no break-in! I bought these boots…

Summary

Bullet-proof with no break-in!

Pros

• No break-in
  • Waterproof
  • Fit

Cons

• Sole wear