Lowa Tibet Pro GTX

I was looking for a boot with excellent support. This…

Summary

I was looking for a boot with excellent support. This boot being higher than most backing boots offer this. Once you walk in them you will notice the comfort that these boots have. They might be for carrying heavier loads and rough trail but for support these boots are the best.

Pros

• support of the ankle

Cons

• if any, maybe the price

I recently had ankle fuse surgery and was looking for a boot with support. These boots offer this. I wore these boots for one week before I hit the trail and and could have gone backpacking before the week was over. The boot is higher then hiking boots that I have had before and with the lacing they keep the rocks and snow out. With the Gore-Tex lining your feet stay dry.

These boots are well constructed and I believe they will last.

My hiking varies, but mostly I'm off trail and walking over rocks and other debris, usually carrying a daypack or a backpack for a 3- to 7-day trip. These boots have been with me for 6 months and they still hold up to what Lowa ads claim.

If you want a boot with excellent ankle support and willing to spend a bit more for quality then this boot is the one to choose.

I am a boot person and over the years I have tried…

Summary

I am a boot person and over the years I have tried many different brands without finding what I was looking for, comfort, protection, stability and durability. About 3 years ago I stumbled across Lowa (Germany), made in Europe, and tried the Tibet Pro. I picked up a pair and found what I wanted.

I would recommend these to any person looking for a complete backpacking boot.

Pros

• Extremely stable on all terrain
  • Waterproof (leather and Gore-tex) but breathes well

Cons

• Heavy
  • Cut small. May need to go up 1 full size for toe box area

This is my second pair of Lowa Tibet Pro boots.  I replaced my first pair after several hundred miles because I found the toe box area a little snug. As normal, the first boots were a half size bigger than my normal shoes but when going downhill with a pack the toe area was still snug. The second pair I purchased a full size larger than my normal shoes and they are perfect.

I have 2 years and about 800 miles of varied terrain on my second pair with no blisters, hot spots or sore feet. There was no break-in, the nubuck leather molds to the foot and they are comfortable and stable on the trail.

I wear them with a light to mid weight Merino wool sock and liner.  The Merino wool seems to wick the moisture from my foot and the breathability of the boot keeps the moisture to a minimum, even in 90+ degree heat. The high cut gives me very good ankle support which is appreciated with a mid to heavy weight pack and rough terrain. The boots grip all kinds of trail, wet or dry, and breath well in cold or hot weather.

They have worn very well.  Take care of them and they will take care of you.  Another 800 miles and more should be no problem.  The factory insoles are comfortable but I replaced them with custom insoles.

The only thing to be careful of is being European they tend to be cut small.  I went up a full size from my regular shoes to get a proper fit in the toe box area.

Sure, they are just shy of 4 pounds for the pair but well worth the weight.

Returned the boots after two days. I was looking for…

Summary

Returned the boots after two days.

Pros

• Strong boot with real support.
  • Good fit, no slip in the heel.

Cons

• Design flaw, please see below.

I was looking for a new pair of boots, preferably a more robust boot than the one I’ve been using for the last four years (Zamberlan 308 Trekker RR)

Most of my hikes are in the Northeast, in the high peaks area of the Adirondacks and in the White Mountains.

When I tried on the Tibet Pro, I tried both the narrow and regular width. I have narrow feet, but the regular width fit me perfectly, although, I have to say I couldn’t feel much difference. I use size 10 ½ and they feel true to size. I also tried two different pairs of AKU boots, but liked the Lowa the best.

The Lowa fitted me so well that I decided to break them in on a two-day backpack hike of the Great Range with a 55-lb backpack. Overall, everything went well. No blisters. They stayed dry, but a bit moist from my own sweat. My old pair of boots were without GoreTex; I still prefer my boots without GoreTex, but wanted to try GoreTex this time. This boot might be too warm in the summer.

The Lowa Tibet Pro are made in Germany, and as such made with perfect attention to craftsmanship. But there’s a big but!! Once back home from my hike, I notice that the stitching that keep the middle shoelace hook in place, had come loose and had started to unravel.

IMG_2855.jpg.

This had happened from normal use in a rocky environment. I notice that the boots (both of them) would bulk out a bit in that area and that the stitching therefore was extra exposed.

Other side.

Other boot.

I don’t think its a manufacturing flaw. From my POV, this is a huge design flaw. I have used my old boots in the same environment for years, and I’ve yet to see anything break on the Zamberlans. I’m sending the Lowas back to SierraTradingPost. STP are great, (they have the best customer service I’ve ever experienced). If they read this, Thank You ;)

Of other things worth mentioning is that the soles are outstanding. Superb grip. The Tibet Pro felt very comfortable after just two days of hiking. I like the extra high ankle support.

On a side note, I think my next pair of boots will be made from a more glossy leather instead of the matted leather used on these boots. It seems like dirt sticks a bit better to the matted leather.

It’s a pity that they broke after just two days of hiking. If it wasn't for the unraveling, I think they would have been the perfect boots for hiking in the Northeast.

What I don't understand is how this issue has not been corrected after many years of production.

Too bad the boots had that one flaw. They otherwise sound like a good boot for your use. Good luck finding a replacement pair.

Jake W

Great review Nordic. As a fellow Zamberrlan enthusiast, I am curious as to why you didn't try out any of their more burly models? I've had a pair of the Vioz for years, as well as a pair of the Nuvaloas.

I have bought these boots for winter hiking and backpacking.

I have bought these boots for winter hiking and backpacking. They really fit well and I found them really comfortable. They kept my feet dry and warm in deep snow.

The sps anti-shock and forefoot are awesomely good. They didn't hurt my foot even for first use (as my friends say, first shoes hurt!). For the price I've paid they worth it! But in my place there is no warranty... so that's why they're cheaper than what should be!

The most comfortable boot you will ever wear. Great…

Summary

The most comfortable boot you will ever wear. Great fit, waterproof, and super durable.

Pros

• Comfort
  • Durability
  • Waterproof

I have been wearing Lowa shoes for over 10 years. I am on my second pair of Tibet Pro GTXs, but I still wear my first pair for day-to-day activity and save my new pair for bigger excursions.

If you have never worn a pair of Lowa boots then you have been missing the most comfortable hiking boot on the market. My Lowas always seem to fit my foot like a glove, one of the first things I noticed about the shoe. I use my Tibets for both backpacking and hiking.

I started out with the Renegade GTX Mid but have since just stuck with the Tibet. Even though the Tibet is a heavier boot, I prefer it over the Renegade as much of the trails I hike are heavy rooted and rocky. I like the thicker sole and support offered by the Tibet even on a light hike. Don't get me wrong the Renegade is a great boot and I have been toying with the idea of getting another pair :-)

The soles have held up well in my Tibets and do a good job of keeping my feet where I want them to be in wet conditions, which is where I am most of the time. My first Tibets are on their 7th year and even though I cracked the leather by allowing them to dry in the sun one too many times they still do a nice job of keeping my feet dry in basic stream crossings.

Wonderful boot in my opinion. You owe it to your feet to give them a try.

Put the boots through the test of two days of rain,…

Pros

• comfortable
  • sturdy
  • ankle protection

Cons

• not waterproof
  • heavy

Put the boots through the test of two days of rain, were soaked inside even with leather treatment. I have never had a Goretex boot that didn't hold up as poorly as these boots did. Maybe it was extreme conditions but I've had better protection from cheaper boots.

I really love these boots. They perform well with…

Materials: Leather
Use: Backpacking.
Break-in Period: One trip.

I really love these boots. They perform well with a heavy load either on or off trail. I've heard some folks comment negatively about their weight, but I really don't notice it. They provide great support.

They are a bit pricey, but you get a lot of boot for your money. They fit well right out of the box. Best boots I've ever owned.

Lowa Tibet Pro GTX

$340.00 (men's)

The Lowa Tibet Pro GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 29, 2014 at Sierra Trading Post.