Mountain House Best Sellers Kit

Weight 2.60 lb

What can I say? It's Mountain House. They always provide…

What can I say? It's Mountain House. They always provide very good and tasty foods for the trail and for survival pantries.

• Consistant quality
  • Consistant taste
  • Easy preparation
  • Great shelf life

• Bulky for backpacking

I have been using Mountain House foods for sometime now. I have a small emergency pantry at home that is stored with some Mountain House foods. I also use them for day hikes or weekend excursions. They are too bulky for extended hikes although I still take one or two with me.

The reason I buy Mountain House products over others is because of the consistency of their products. I have always counted on good quality and taste time and time again, never having a bad meal unless of course it was my fault. Ease of preparation is another thing I like about Mountain House. Boil some water, dump it in the bag, stir, seal, and wait. What more can one ask for after a long day on the trail?

In this case I purchased this Best Sellers Kit which consists of four entrees, one breakfast and one dessert. I like the Beef Stew, Beef Stroganoff with Noodles, and the Lasagna with Meat Sauce. These three are staples in my selection of Mountain House foods among some others.

The reason I only gave this kit 4 stars is I really don't care for the Scrambled Eggs with Ham and Peppers much. Not that it's not good, I just can't seem to get the consistency of the eggs right. But its taste is decent so it won't go to waste, it will get eaten.

I also didn't care much for the Chicken Teriyaki with Rice or the Raspberry Crumble. Again, it's not that they weren't good, just a little too tart for my taste, I know that others like them a lot. So, just like the breakfast, they won't go to waste, they will be eaten if for nothing else but a change in tastes.

I only have one problem with Mountain House foods. Not enough calories per serving. I need more calories when I'm out on a hike than what these meals have to offer. They would be nicer for weight watchers I guess. Now instead of using each meal for 2 servings ( for me and another who may be with me ) I could eat the entire meal on my own, but that would be too filling for me. I certainly don't need a bloated belly when I'm out hiking.

Nonetheless I will continue to purchase Mountain House Foods and use them. I just will use high calorie snack bars for dessert.

Mountain House Best Sellers Kit

The Mountain House Best Sellers Kit is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 10, 2015 at

If you're looking for a new food/drink, check out the best reviewed current models.