men's
Volume 4,200 cubic inches (68.8 L)
Weight 6 pounds 10 ounces (3 kg)
Dimensions 24.5 x 12 x 9" (62 x 30 x 23 cm)

Stunningly well made backpack — American made in…

Stunningly well made backpack — American made in an age of Chinese imitations, with the most flawless fit, finish, function and design of any backpack on the market.

I've worn packs from Mountainsmith, Dana Design, Gregory, REI, Jansport, and North Face, and nothing compares to this. The harness is lush, overbuilt without being heavy, comfortable and easily and infinitely adjustable.  I can't emphasize the durability enough. Pull on straps as hard as you'd like.  They aren't coming off.

The pack bag is extremely well thought out — a reincarnation of the old Dana Design Terraplane/Astralplane design, but modernized with a much improved sleeping bag/bottom compartment, and improved access, materials, and design at every turn.

I'm thrilled to find such a great durable pack at a reasonable weight. After having and witnessing failed packs on thru hikes and long trails, I'll sacrifice a bit of weight for durability any day, but the Glacier is paired back a bit from the bigger and heavier g-series packs so it's pretty reasonable in the weight department.

All this, and at a price that compares to the Chinese made inferior packs that are "top of the line" from all of the other big name makers.

Craig Houdeshell

The pack is not constructed in the USA, it is imported. Please see the "Specs" tab on the Glacier webpage. It clearly states the "Country of Origin as 'Imported.'" Such a disappointment. http://www.mysteryranch.com/glacier-pack-ex

tctundra

My Mystery Ranch Glacier, circa 2011, was made in the USA and is clearly marked as such. Sadly (maybe), many Mystery Ranch packs are now being made in the Philippines. For example, the Terraplane, which as recently as 2015 was made in Montana, is now marked "worldwide." I stand by my review - my pack is USA made, and many of their packs still are made in the USA (look at the military line for similar models that are still made here). And as much as I will pay a few extra buck for a pack made in Montana, I must admit that the ones I've seen that are made overseas are VERY high quality. Much heavier duty and better made than other packs, nearly all of which are made overseas as well.

Vu Duong

Any chance you're selling this pack? :D

1 year ago

Features I don't see in other packs, quality seldom…

Summary

Features I don't see in other packs, quality seldom seen anywhere.

Pros

• Suspension
  • Side entry to main compartment
  • Water bottle pockets on waist
  • Detachable top sack/waist or belt pack
  • Durable material

Cons

• A bit heavy

I used a 1970s model Lowe Expedition for years, then the sorry scum in Marsailles stole it and everything in it. I had not found a pack its equal since.

Then I found this. The suspension is extremely well thought out and adjustable. It can be configured as a big sack or you can separate the bottom compartment. The compartments on the back are large enough to actually be useful—something a lot of current packs sort of miss out on. Personally, I feel a lot of packs out there just stick zipper bags on the back and or sides because the competition does it.

The side entrances to the main compartment were a gimmick, until I thought it through. Having loaded up all the sacks I now see this as a major plus in the design. I no longer have to unload half the pack to get to what I thought I would not need until tonight—at mid morning.

Purchased this at Good Sports in San Antonio, Texas, where the staff loaded it up with roughly 50 lbs and then helped me adjust everything to my liking. I have been on a couple of 5-milers in the hill country since and this is an even better riding pack than my beloved Expedition. I am sold.

If you are a trekker, you know you can't use gear that might let you down three days from the trailhead. I am convinced this pack will take everything I can throw at it.

Welcome to Trailspace, Charles. Thanks for the review. Do you have any pics of your pack?

Welcome to Trailspace, Charles! I'm sorry to hear your Lowe pack was stolen, but glad you found a worthy replacement. Thanks for the review! I'd also love to see some pictures of your pack.